• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

twist throttle?

FXMAN

Extreme
does anybody know of a twist throttle setup aval. for the phazer? IM thnking that a twist throttle would be pretty kick #*$&@ on this sled

Hmm I use a twist on all my quads.Will take a look since I just put on on my Raptor 700.Throttle setup looks very similar.

It wouldnt be that hard to do, but a twist throttle really isnt the best setup on a sled.
If you hit a rock or stump with your ski and it jerks the bars one way or the other, you run the risk of it gassing the motor and the sled taking off without you.
Twist throttles are fine on bikes because you steer mostly with balance, but on a sled you steer with your shoulders, so a thumb throttle is the best.
It can be done if you are dead set on it though. You should be able to order a kit through Parts Unlimited.
Consider this though, if a twist throttle is such a hot setup, dont you think sleds would come with a twist instead of a thumb throttle?

he s right they suck and you will lose your heated grips when the wire decides to crap out been there done that looked cool though

I tried a twist throttle on my YFZ 450 and realized it wasnt the hot setup.
I think that if all you did was drag racing it would be great, but for general riding I still think a thumb throttle is the way to go.
If youre having issues with your thumb getting tired, theres ways to fix that.
For one, you could get one of those forearm exercisers and build up the muscles in your hand and forearm.
Also, you could try shifting how you position your hand to give your thumb muscles a rest. Sometimes I will hold the throttle in the webbing between my thumb and fingers to give my thumb muscles a rest.

Well this will for sure end up in a huge debate but the fact is if you are used to a twist throttle it is no more dangerous than a thumb throttle.Especially on quads.I personally think that a twist has saved my butt more than once.5 fingers on grip at all times gives you much more grip.When things happen they happen quick.It takes time to get your thumb which is your strongest finger off the throttle and gripping the bar.Time you dont necessarily have in a emergency.Also twist throttle is much easier to control in a right hand turn.That said I never was uncomfortable with any of the snowmobile or watercraft throttles.Atv throttles I cant stand.If I ride a quad with one I am just as jerky as most guys are when riding mine with twist throttle.

There is a good article in the new SnowGoer Magazine about this very issue. There is alot of industry debate around this topic. The article explains how to change to the twist throttle and keep your handwarmers. Also the pros and cons to the twist throttle setup.

cannondale27 said:
Well this will for sure end up in a huge debate but the fact is if you are used to a twist throttle it is no more dangerous than a thumb throttle.Especially on quads.I personally think that a twist has saved my butt more than once.5 fingers on grip at all times gives you much more grip.When things happen they happen quick.It takes time to get your thumb which is your strongest finger off the throttle and gripping the bar.Time you dont necessarily have in a emergency.Also twist throttle is much easier to control in a right hand turn.That said I never was uncomfortable with any of the snowmobile or watercraft throttles.Atv throttles I cant stand.If I ride a quad with one I am just as jerky as most guys are when riding mine with twist throttle.

I totally agree, after racing motocross a couple years you can hold on in alot more control with both hands on the bars, not one half around. You can argue the bars bein jerky all day its personal prefferance but aftermarket should build more twist kits.

On my old sled my wife found it hard and tiring to use the thumb throttle. I thought about installing a twist throttle because she had ridden dirt bikes before and liked how the throttle was on them. Then I factored in the; what if she panics or hits a rock or stump and twists the throttle. So I flipped the thumb throttle around so that it was like the brake, and vwa-la, no more tired thumb. Only problem is that the kill switch is at the bottom. To be honest with you I like it to, it is easier to handle on twisty trails.

the twist grip throttle is prone to get water and snow inside witch could freeze and cause an issue the first time you rip on it after it has sat for a while after your last ride the thumb throttle is an open set up less likely to get jammed up the with snow, ice or debris and normally will fall out. but to each there own good luck with it.

Back