• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

U.P. or Maine? Advise on conditions...please help!

Thanks so much for all the responses. Just another reason why this site and it's users are so awesome! We are planning to leave next tuesday 21st. If anyone could give a final update some time this weekend i would be very greatful. BETHEVIPER, thanks a ton for your help! I'll PM you for sure.

The UP is in bad shape, they need snow. We rode from Trout creek to Lake G..., the to Rockland, Mass City, Twin Lake, very rough trails. Logging roads are in ok shape.

Attachments

• 2012-02-18 10.00.44-1.jpg
    2012-02-18 10.00.44-1.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 187
Apex 06 I heard that side of the UP was was in rough shape, mass city to twin lakes was pretty rough but after that was pretty good. Especially the trails off of the grade, considering the conditions. We hammered 540 ish miles for the weekend :Rockon:

They were not fun to be on, but it was riding. Sad part is I lost the nut on my rear axle then the wheel and spacer endding the weekend.

As long as you get through Houghton, once north, trails were awesome from trail 17 north into the Keweenaw last week/weekend! 430 miles in three days. Stayed in Houghton and went as far south as Twin Lakes and it was bad on Friday. Plenty of snow on trails south but moguls!!! Snow was sugar--no way to pack it. Headed back north and blazed trails that were flat and white--just like my wife!! :jump:

Maine Trails

Well, I just got back from Maine Yesterday and the trails were a 10. The four of us had a great time. We had some excitement while there that's for sure. We took BETHEVIPER'S advice (Thank You) and stayed at the Katahdin Lodge which was excellent. The people at the Lodge were excellent. Jonathan at the lodge was helpful and the use of his heated garage came in handy.

20 miles in on our 1st ride my buddy's 2011 Ski-Doo renegade had some beeping noises that were not good. 4 quick beeps and an engine light on the dash = Apex needs to tow the machine back to Shin Pond Village. The repair ended up being a bad Stator (1800mi on machine).

The other two guys finally arrived late after driving 30 miles out of the way and only when they called the Lodge and ask them to turn the Light on the Lodge sign they finally found it.

We put on 190 mi the 2nd day and the trails and scenery were AWESOME!
We saw a burned up Arctic Cat F-1000 on the sie of the trail.

The Apex blew a belt on the way back. I knew I should of changed the belt after the 7mi tow :o|

The Ski-Doo was repaired and on the drive back to the lodge from the dealer my friend who had MY clam shell trailer lost control of his truck and turned the truck 180 degrees and the Ski-Doo came shooting out the back of the trailer (not strapped down). The sled went about 10-15 feet out the back and landed on it's side in the snow bank. Surprisingly minimal damage to the sled. We brought the sled into the garage at the Lodge and we bent the handle bars back and zip tied the windshield back on and put a wire into the conector switch to get the headlights to come on. The starter switch was gone but the wire and a small button was still there to start it. We were able to get the sled good enough to ride the next day. The clam shell needs some work though.

On the 3rd day the Apex was blowing 20amp fuses. It would blow one and then I would ride awhile and then blow again. sometimes it would blow the fuse when I stared it up. I went through 6 fuses or so. I disconected the Dynojet Ignition module and it still blew a fuse. I then put in a 25 amp fuse and drove it back to the Shin Pond Village where I was picked up via trailer. We brought the sled into the garage and looked it over with a fine tooth comb. No broken wires along the main wiring harness along the chasis or under the tape. Everywhere else looked good also. I then removed the PCIII power programer as well and rode the next day with no problems (20 amp fuse in it). I did get into some deep snow prior to the fuse poping so I'm not sure if the programmer is the problem. I'm in the porcess to determine for sure if it's the programmer or maybe some moisture or what? It was nice to have Jonathan from the Katahdin lodge give me a hand as he is also a Yamaha Tech. He is also one HELL of a ball buster!!

So if you need a place to ride in Maine on awesome trails at a nice friendly place then go see Jonathan and Chuck at the Katahdin Lodge and you will have a good time. Just tell them the guys with the converted drive through Clam Shell trailer sent ya! LOL

great to hear you had a good time. I am sure you wont remind your friend about the trail ever again? Always good to have a wild story to tell, helps to remember the trip better.

Back