• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ulmer Racing products are on their way!

I have the Ulmer's and love it. It reduces engine breaking and is definitely quicker. My Brother has the same sled stock and is about the same weight as me and I can always beat him out of the hole now.

One thing I really liked was the Ulmer's is that the kit is new weights and a spring. I understand that Schmidt Bros is rivets and shims and uses the stock weights and spring. I like that if I wanted to switch back to stock I could with the Ulmers and still have all the parts to install it again vs the Schmidt Bros requiring drilling out the rivets and then they are gone.

In both cases the parts you get are really just parts you can buy direct from Yamaha so what you are really paying for the the R&D that went into figuring out what parts will work.

I kinda' thought that was a good part of a four stroke, or at least my Phazer, the clutching doesn't have to be just perfect, and mine seems to have great responce at any speed or rpm. I know of course that anything can be made better. I ride alone, so a tenth from corner to corner doesn't mean much to me, but less engine braking interests me, as previously mentioned for cornering(now that i can actually steer it) plus, i'd guess even the gas mileage would be better with way less engine baking and more "roll"?

spike doesnt yours hit the revlimiter alot?Mine did and Ulmers kit also took care of that.A big benefit to his also was that no rivets are in the wieghts so with future mods you can fine tune alot easily to get it where you want by adding rivets.

Never hit the rev limiter. Can't remember peak rpm, but i remember seeing it a few times thinking it was about right.

Could be my 17 foot tall grandpa windshield too? All stock 07 as far as that department. What will they do, cut out, miss at top end? I've heard 850 hp off-road trucks bounce off it, but never a little four stroke sled.

You have a standard? Mine is a FX, don't know if you knew that when i was asking about shock, skid set-ups?

It really doesnt matter since they all need help in suspension area.My standard I put GYTR fronts and Custom Axis rear on after living with the junk for 1/2 a season.I have ridden the FX shocks though with revalved shocks and without.But like all setups it is opinion and what makes me happy might suck for others but I dont see how since I have never had anyone say they didnt like my suspension.Back to subject though.

I looked in the specs and FX and standard are exact same gearing so I am not sure why you never hit revlimiter stock especially since yours is a 07?Before the Ulmer clutching I bet on over half of the launches it was banging rev limiter up until it hooked up.Then it hit it again at top speed and jumping or losing traction.I want to try higher gearing now that I am comfortable tuning the clutches.All you GT owners how do you do when drag racing other sleds up to about 50mph?

Attachments

• gearing.jpg
    gearing.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 59
Another possibility is that you have reverse and that new belt.If updated they run the belt real low in the secondary.That effectivly raises your gear ratio on launch.Kind of like taking off in second gear.It would help keep it off the rev limiter and help reverse engagement but I bet it also slows you down on launches at least.

They just put that in last year without asking me.(reverse update and belt) I'm not so sure i'm happy with that? I had no problem before, now my spare belt i paid for doesn't match.
It just seems that it'd be so obvious if i hit the rev limiter. Brand new break in, i put 70 miles on it at my sisters place in Minoqua on the lake as soon as the ice was 'kinda' safe. Back and forth, le-mans style track, packed down a straight away for a bunch of 87-91 mph passes etc. Don't remember it hitting it once. Mine is probably a turd and can't? I think i've lost every race i was dumb enough to try, lol. I remember the rpms being in the ball park though. I also very vividly thinking, $hit! this thing does not turn at all!

Ha good one.You need to pick your races.Think short and quit around 60mph.Will run with the best if she hooks up.I will take a video next time I start sled so you can hear what the limiter sounds like.

cannondale27 said:
spike doesnt yours hit the revlimiter alot?Mine did and Ulmers kit also took care of that.A big benefit to his also was that no rivets are in the wieghts so with future mods you can fine tune alot easily to get it where you want by adding rivets.

Cannodale my 07FX was just the opposite. I never hit the rev limiter until I installed the Ulmer clutch kit. I am even stretched to 136" with the 1.5" freeride track. You would think that the extra load would help keep it off the rev limiter but it still flirts with 12K plus. I tried messing with the secondary spring location (A1 or A2) but, it still blabbers like my 250F when I am stretching the gear I am in from corner to corner. LOL!!!

I called Ulmers and I replaced there spring with another and it made no difference. The clutch kit does help a bunch but the rev limiter problem needs to be addressed on a four stroke snowmobile. Especially a Phazer that is always wide open, spinning 12 grand. It is scary!!

Ulmers then told me to add weight to the primary, but I thought WTF did I buy a clutch kit for and here I am messing with the weights. If anybody has any input I would greatly appreciate it.

What is your belt hieght?As soon as I added exhaust I did have to add wieght to primary wieghts.Before then with Ulmer kit I very rarely hit rev limiter.Without it it was constantly hitting.Revving that high really sucks gas also.

wayfastkev said:
cannondale27 said:

Cannodale my 07FX was just the opposite. I never hit the rev limiter until I installed the Ulmer clutch kit. I am even stretched to 136" with the 1.5" freeride track. You would think that the extra load would help keep it off the rev limiter but it still flirts with 12K plus. I tried messing with the secondary spring location (A1 or A2) but, it still blabbers like my 250F when I am stretching the gear I am in from corner to corner. LOL!!!

I called Ulmers and I replaced there spring with another and it made no difference. The clutch kit does help a bunch but the rev limiter problem needs to be addressed on a four stroke snowmobile. Especially a Phazer that is always wide open, spinning 12 grand. It is scary!!

Ulmers then told me to add weight to the primary, but I thought WTF did I buy a clutch kit for and here I am messing with the weights. If anybody has any input I would greatly appreciate it.

You need to add a 2.4 or 3.1 gram rivet to your weights. You are the only one I have heard of hitting the rev limiter. Call us and I will gladly send you the rivets. What belt are you running?

Back