• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Unbelievable Slide Wear

Boomer

Expert
I have no idea why I got such terrible slide wear, but I just replaced the Hyfax after only 250 miles. The right side was worn right through in one spot and the left was pretty close. I have been riding in fantastic conditions with very little road riding at all and when I did ride the roads they have been snow covered.

This has been the only real problem I have had with my M-10 on my shorty, so I am at a loss as to why these are wearing so quick. I'm not running the track tight and everything else seems to be adjusted right. This is the quickest they have needed replacing, but I am definitely not getting the miles out of them I should. I'm thinkingof trying the graphite ones next, but don't want to spend the extra if they don't get much better miles out of them.

Any ideas?

Sorry for you but glad to see it's not only us 162's with the problem.

Are the trails iced up, or powder? Not enough lube from icey trails could be the issue.

The only other thing that comes to mind is maybe a problem with a couple of bent clips digging into the hyfax, OR a mis-aligned track.

Check your track clips. My Viper was EATING hyfax!! Finally looked closely and had near 75% of my track clips were SHOT!! Went ahead and replaced the track and have had zero issues with it since.

Contrary to what cnynrnr13 states, quality graphite sliders are FAR better than regular plastic sliders due to a higher MELTING TEMPERATURE and better low friction (and thus low temperature) properties. The majority of slide wear is due to melting rather than grinding. When there is very little lubrication (can be due to track design, suspension design, snow conditions, or even driving style), there is very little to keep the sliders cool and thus solid. When the conditions are right (or wrong depending on your perspective), regular plastic sliders can melt off in very short distances. By very short, I mean a few tens of kilometers. In contrast, I have yet to replace a set of graphite sliders, despite thousands of miles.

LazyBastard said:
Contrary to what cnynrnr13 states, quality graphite sliders are FAR better than regular plastic sliders due to a higher MELTING TEMPERATURE and better low friction (and thus low temperature) properties. The majority of slide wear is due to melting rather than grinding. When there is very little lubrication (can be due to track design, suspension design, snow conditions, or even driving style), there is very little to keep the sliders cool and thus solid. When the conditions are right (or wrong depending on your perspective), regular plastic sliders can melt off in very short distances. By very short, I mean a few tens of kilometers. In contrast, I have yet to replace a set of graphite sliders, despite thousands of miles.

I can buy 08 sets of stock slides for the price of one set of the graphite hyfax imo i dont think that its worth the money . i have 2200 miles on my stock hyfax and i still have wear to go. all i was stating was my opinion they may be better but not worth the money imo :Rockon:

cnynrnr13 said:
I can buy 08 sets of stock slides for the price of one set of the graphite hyfax imo i dont think that its worth the money . i have 2200 miles on my stock hyfax and i still have wear to go. all i was stating was my opinion they may be better but not worth the money imo :Rockon:

8 sets? I can't even buy two sets for the cost of a graphite set. Even if I buy them from the dealer I can't get three set for the price of one.

Worn track clips though will eat sliders. So do fat overweight riders such as myself!

:exc:

Boomer, Missed you on our TY ride the last 3 days. I thought you would be over for at least one of the days. Graphite slides do last a little longer, but I think your probelm is a combination of how you have your M-10 adjusted, and your track window clips, and the snow conditions. Old Forge has not had much snow this year. I was up there last weekend riding and if there was 12" in Old Forge that would be saying alot. I wouldn't go back there to they get more snow. I could smell my hyfax melting last weekend and that was on the trails and the roads were terrible. Come over to Tug Hill to ride where there is 4 feet of snow, and you wouldn't have that problem.

cnynrnr13 said:
dont waste your money on the graphite one`s imo :Rockon:

I'll second that. I don't have an M10 but my stockers last up to 1500 miles a set. I got 100 miles out of the graphites before they wore to the rails. I have never touched my track tension. Waste of money, time and fun. I was told graphites are mainly for racers where speed is the top concern and longevity is not.

Don't buy hyper fax slide, but buy the graphite ones that cost double what stockers do. I rode 400 miles in the up last year in marginal conditions, and my slides are 90% the others where on there secondsset of stockers. So yes the graphite impregnated slides work. Maxdlx

I really don't think that the issue is with your sliders, whether they are graphite or regular. I ran an M-10 under both of my last 2 sleds ( 97 SX 700 and 02 Viper), and my father has 8000 miles on his M-10 in an 05 RX-1. Neither of us ever had any problems with slider wear, just changed them at the beginning of every season whether they needed it or not. I would imagine that you have some sort of problem with your track or suspension set up that can be easily corrected. Keep in mind that the track runs much looser on the M-10 than on the stock suspension, about 3/4 - 1 inch under the sliders at the adjusting blocks with no weight on the track.

Back