• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Upper ball joint, Longer bolt update, done.

mach9

TY 4 Stroke Master
Finally got the old XTX in the shop for some wrenching.
Just changed the upper ball joints and did the Longer Bolt, 2 nuts update.
The stock bolts came loose last year, vibratred and slotted the top hole in the soft spindle. I didn't like that too much, so I got a new spindle. Here is a pic.
Cheers

Attachments

• upper-joint-longer-bolt.jpg
    upper-joint-longer-bolt.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 82

i did the same this last year and it still loosened up..... hope u have better results.

mach9 said:
raginyamaha said:
i did the same this last year and it still loosened up..... hope u have better results.

Humm, use loctite too?

I didn't do the long bolt update but used plenty of loctite when putting mine back together!! Hope mine stays put, did last year........knock on wood

mach9 said:
raginyamaha said:

Humm, use loctite too?
Apparently not enough. i felt that by doing the 2 nut thing when u tighten the upper then the lower, it pulls the upper one loose a little bit but i dont know i was just pissed off looking for a reason, and a new spindle :o| i guess. More loctitle this year with nyloc nuts for me. Crossing my fingers and carying spares now.

raginyamaha said:
mach9 said:
raginyamaha said:

Humm, use loctite too?
Apparently not enough. i felt that by doing the 2 nut thing when u tighten the upper then the lower, it pulls the upper one loose a little bit but i dont know i was just pissed off looking for a reason, and a new spindle :o| i guess. More loctitle this year with nyloc nuts for me. Crossing my fingers and carying spares now.

Agreed...
More torque on the upper nut than lower nut, lock nuts and use loctite.
You can't get this bi*ch tight enough.
Cheers

Back