• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Valve Adjustment

NashRides

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 Attak GT
Have an 07 Attak with around 10k miles. Last season when warm it would stall when coming off throttle. Reading on the forums sounds like the fix is to have the valves adjusted. Does that require pulling the motor? If so assume that's a pretty costly job?

You may try the FAQ for the Apex or go to the search at the top right of the page there may be posts on valve adjustment, just type it in. hope this helps.

I have not adjusted valves as of yet but the motor does not need to be removed to work on the head. Should take the average wrench head about 3 hours to have clear access to the head.

its a big job. requires a bunch of different shims for the buckets that sit under cam

Had mine done 2 years ago when I had engine out. Cost me $300. They were tight. Fixed all my stalling issues

I have 30K kms on mine now

Have to remove upper frame section above motor to access valve cover. 2-3 hrs if you havent done before

Sure it would cost $1000 to have a dealer do it. Parts were not much money

2-3 hrs for an experienced wrench. And that's provided you don't have to re-shim. If you do have to re-shim, plan on an additional 3-4 plus cuz the cams have to come out.

its a big job. requires a bunch of different shims for the buckets that sit under cam

Had mine done 2 years ago when I had engine out. Cost me $300. They were tight. Fixed all my stalling issues

I have 30K kms on mine now

Have to remove upper frame section above motor to access valve cover. 2-3 hrs if you havent done before

Sure it would cost $1000 to have a dealer do it. Parts were not much money
Thanks for the info. Not sure I want to invest that kind of money into this sled.

2-3 hrs for an experienced wrench. And that's provided you don't have to re-shim. If you do have to re-shim, plan on an additional 3-4 plus cuz the cams have to come out.
Thanks. Hard to see spending that kind of money on an older sled.

I am currently doing one of these it will take 2 to 3 hours to just get to the valves, if it needs shims, then another 3 hrs to shim them and another 2 hrs to put it all back togather and test it. I would say over all job is 8 hrs plus the cost of shims. $700 to $1000 would be about right depending on the shop rate. Its a big job for sure.

Had mine done last year , 2 valves tight . Eventually the others will start from now on I believe… I do all the work on my machine except for this internal area ha . Runs better , not new but better . $500 to $1000 after many years not bad at all . My sled is 15 yrs old original owner :

I am currently doing one of these it will take 2 to 3 hours to just get to the valves, if it needs shims, then another 3 hrs to shim them and another 2 hrs to put it all back togather and test it. I would say over all job is 8 hrs plus the cost of shims. $700 to $1000 would be about right depending on the shop rate. Its a big job for sure.
Thank you very much for the detailed information. I've had this sled for around 5 years. The local Yamaha dealer I was using for service closed. Closest dealer is now a couple of hours away so may be looking at changing brands.

Back