• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Vector fouling plugs

yamadooski

Extreme
We have an 05 Vector and Rage. The Rage starts just fine after weeks of sitting but the Vector almost always fouls at least one if not all the plugs before we can get it warmed up. Any suggestions on what might be the problem?
I've read about changing plugs to a cooler one but don't know if this will solve the issue.

When I start mine I use full choke just to start them and take the choke off as much as I can so they will still run and totally off as soon as possible. I let them run until they shut themselves off. I have never fouled a plug in two years.

To follow on to Steely Dan's post, perhaps you are leaving the choke on too long.

I keep mine at full choke for only a couple of seconds, then to half choke until it is running smooth and then off. The choke is never on for more than 15-20 seconds except for the coldest weather (-20 to -30).

From my experience you also do not want to hit the throttle at all when the choke is on.If I blip the throttle at all with choke on it will foul the plugs.

I agree with taking the choke off as quick as possible. I live up here in the cold north and the temperature often is well below 0 celcius and up to -35C or -35 F and I choke full to start and as soon as it starts I back the choke off until it runs a bit rough and then wait a few seconds and then back it off again and continue to do this until it is off completely. Takes about 15-30 seconds for the whole operation. I have never fouled a plug yet. Also like someone said above. DO NOT touch the trottle until it warms up and light goes out. :flag:

Fouled Rage

When I first got my Rage, I used the starting sequence that was in the owners manual, but it flooded and soon fouled out a set of plugs for me. I talked to the dealer that I got my sled from and the trick he told me a trick for cold starting. Begin cranking over the sled with no choke and gradually open up the choke. When the sled starts to catch, leave the choke at that position until it starts and let it idle at that setting until it idles down, kick off the choke and go! Never had any trouble with it since.

Back