• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Very Loud

northwoods

The worst thing about my Mountain is the loudness of it. I think this is worse than the Ice build up problem. It is so loud that I have to wear ear plugs or go deaf in a short time. My exhaust and engine are stock and the exhaust is not cracked. I think it is engine noise or could be also track noise. Even with earplugs there is still a whine, no it’s not me, that will drive you crazy at 50 - 60 mph. I let someone that was interested in a Phazer ride it and he gave it back to me after about 5 miles and said that was enough without wearing ear plugs. I think he has changed his mind about getting one now.
Anyone else with this problem or opinion? The noise will stop me from recommending buying buying a Phazer to anyone I know.
Otherwise I really like it.
:letsnow:

its the track

I have a mountain lite also and i too have heard that annoying hum also... Im pretty sure its the tall lugs on the hard pack making that noise. Try runnin g off the trail in the deeper snow and it goes away.. In stock form, the mountain lite isnt to great on hard pack trails.

I havent really noticed any annoying noise on the FX or the GT and base Phazer. I can only comment on those as thats all there is around here! I think you just need a louder exhaust! lol

At 42-46 km/r 7500-8500 RPM that track noise on my GT is stupid loud, just like your describing, or engine or w/e its just crazy loud.

Resonates in your helmet.

-Steve

go200mph said:
If you run the trails at 60 mph why get the Mountain Lite.

Well, you have to get to and from the back country. It is also very loud and much slower Speed, say 30 to 40 mph. Doesn't seem like you should have to wear ear plugs to save your hearing when wearing a good helmet on a stock sled?

I recently demo rode a Phazer GT and there is definetely some track noise, but its nothing that would neccesitate earplugs.
Id bet a Phazer Mountain Lite has more track howl than a standard Phazer though. I mean, think about how much longer the track is and how much taller the lugs are. Thats bound to move more air and create more of a howling noise.
Dont feel bad, most sleds with 1.25" or taller lugs howl like crazy. Ive got a 1.25" Ripsaw on my '01 Polaris 600 XC and the track howl is so loud at 30-50 mph that the track makes more noise than the engine.

It's just track howl from riding on hardpack. Go in the pow and it's quiet as a mouse. It does it with the rear end in the air, too, so it must be air circulating in the tunnel as well.

Speaking of the sound of the machine,

I was running the trail here the other day at near full tilt, I was just givin er, really opening up the GT on some tight winding unoccupied trails here in Thompson.

I had such a good time it was a blast once you learn to handle the machine I had the back end drifting and the whole deal for about 15 mins hehe... but that thing that struck me or stood out whas how awsome that gear whine actually sounded, like a turbo/supercharger when you were between corners and WOT or on the brake.

I only wished that when I let off the gas for a tight corner that I heard the whoosh of a blow off valve. Man that would be awesome.

Some things are so cool on this sled, and some things need real attention, but thats the way it goes with a first year sled. If the 08's are spectacular I might trade in if I get a good deal and my 3 yr warranty, if not I can live with the little issues here and there.

-Steve

Back