• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper battery and starting issue

peclark

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Yamaha Viper Ltx Dx and wife's 2014 Vector 136"
I am just on a trip with the wife up at Grand Marais, Mn. I charged battery before I left, but I am due to replace with new. First morning the Viper cranked slow and not enough juice. So I used my lithium jump starter which was fully charged and it cranked just fine but would not start after many tries. I checked fuses and was stumped. Then I attached a 2nd lithium jump starter....so I was using two jump starters at the same time attached to battery. Then it finally started at first time. I know I read that the Viper electronics are sensitive to voltage but that is ridiculous. I have used the same portable jump starter on my boat and truck with no issues. Thoughts? I do plan to put new battery in when I get back but now wondering if I need to carry two jump starters in my pack for emergency. Thanks

Even though it seems like an electrical issue, it may not be one. My 2016 would not start, so I hitched up the jump pack and it cranked over faster and started. I figured that my battery was weak, and bought a new battery. I installed the new battery and it cranked and cranked, but would not start. I hitched up the jump pack again, and it started. Reading posts here, I figured my gas was bad, or the possibly the plugs, so I drained the gas and replaced with fresh, but it did not help. I took it to the dealer who replaced the plugs, and the next morning when it was @15 degrees out, I tried it, and it would not start. I hitched up the jump pack again, and it still wouldn't start. Luckily it was still on the trailer, and it went back to the dealer for assessment. They thought the valves needed adjustment, but they were fine. Finally, they replaced all the injectors, and it started right up. I have had no starting issues since. I am assuming that the extra juice from the battery pack basically gave the sled enough juice to work through the mechanical problem it was having, and start up.

Last edited:
If your dropping below ~9.5V cranking, the computer will not work. That quite high compared to most Automobiles in which the ECM will work into the 8v range. About -15*f is when I hook up a WARM Lithium jump pack before attempting to start mine, it will start on it's own to -25*f but that usually takes a few attempts to get everything loosened up.

Basic guidance here. If it cranks slow, high probability it is the battery. If it cranks and is hard to start or doesn’t start, it could be any number of things (gas, plugs, injectors etc. etc). Batteries have a finite life and if your battery is over four/five years old replace it. Also HIGHLY recommend the use of a battery tender which you plug in every single day, even in the summer to tend to the battery health. Batteries can appear good like taking a charge, but may not have the capacity under load (starting) to supply the right voltage to the electronics to start the machine.

Back