• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper Ltx Se clutch help/opinions

Just starting to get very frustrated with it, nowhere near as easy as the heelclickers on the srx were that's for dam sure

I'll try wrapping the secondary at 6-2, then go and run it...depending on how it performs I might go back to the other setup with 4 washers in the tip and a tungsten and 4 washers in the heel

I have the same set up as you do, Hindle power up kit, air box mod, pcv, all from Hurricane. To-day was the first day it ran well. I am using the clutch on the cheap set-up, 8fp weights with 3.5 in the tip only, gwg spring with 3 spacers at 1mm each, pink spring in the secondary at 6-1 wrap. It never worked that well until to-day, when I installed a 46-40 Dalton helix, with three washers, then it came to life. It pulls hard all the way to a top speed of 100mph. This speed was on a hard packed trail, not ice. My sled is a DX LTX with 650miles on it. Hope this helps and by the way I also have a Ulmer's clutch kit. Sorry I forgot I run machined clutches with a 8dn belt.
Are you studded? How many and what size studs?

I'll try wrapping the secondary at 6-2, then go and run it...depending on how it performs I might go back to the other setup with 4 washers in the tip and a tungsten and 4 washers in the heel
I see you are in Almonte, I live in Kinburn, if you want we could meet on the Mississippi river and run both set ups against one another to see the difference. Comparing is the best way to tell what works and what doesn't.

Update. Well with lots of trial and error I believe I have solved my problem. My secondary spring is worn out and need a new one. The big thing I learned was when I got home and started to play with the nitro clutch. They put the demo belt on my sled by mistake. So I went home and set up my secondary for the 8dn belt. Needless to say my rpms were worse and my shift problem amplified. The only thing we didn't change between the demo and mine in the swap was the belt ride high in the secondary. I have been running my belt too tight from day one. So I believe for some reason the belt height is screwing up my shift. I can't prove it yet because I'm waiting for my new secondary spring to come in and they needed the demo back together for a customer. The height in the manual is 1.5mm. So you may want to check and make sure its within spec.

Also the 8dn belt on the viper reached yamaha and they sent a bulletin to the dealer warning them not to use it on the viper it is not a fix. Apparently the belts have a 3 degree difference in the angle on the sides. Just though I would share what I heard. I still think the 8dn belt works better.

Im going to take a break from clutching until next week. It's going to be a beer and buff weekend and wait for the snowstorm that is coming this weekend. I will post back next week and let you know if that completely fixed my problem when my new spring comes in.

I would like to give a shout out to my dealer Atlantic Motoplex who went above and beyond for me. I have had the best service here. I have been associated with a lot of great dealers in the past, but they are by far the best. Any time I have had a problem with something they always made sure I was on the snow for the weekend.

Last edited:
Alright, just got back in from another test... So I went back to the fastest setup I had from last night, except changed to a 6-2 wrap... 1 tungsten in heel and 4 washers, 4 washers in tip. Conditions tonight were a little different, warmer so snow was a bit softer...

I found this setup to be an improvement, on the roll on I was seeing 8400-8500 then would work up to 8800-8900... This was better then last night, I'm not seeing the high rpm the lug down and climb again in rpm with that 6-2 wrap... Progress lol.... Now would removing a washer off the heel help get those rpm up to around 8800 then let it work it's way up from there?? Also need to add clutch temps were a bit hotter then last night but no evidence of slipping or burning the belt

Superb, just read your response, it may come to that lol, I'm making progress though with this 6-2 wrap just need to get those rpm up a bit higher

Superb, just read your response, it may come to that lol, I'm making progress though with this 6-2 wrap just need to get those rpm up a bit higher
No problem, mine seems to be working well. but you never know until you run beside someone else. Mine goes in Tuesday for a Hurricane turbo.

Last edited:
Update. Well with lots of trial and error I believe I have solved my problem. My secondary spring is worn out and need a new one. The big thing I learned was when I got home and started to play with the nitro clutch. They put the demo belt on my sled by mistake. So I went home and set up my secondary for the 8dn belt. Needless to say my rpms were worse and my shift problem amplified. The only thing we didn't change between the demo and mine in the swap was the belt ride high in the secondary. I have been running my belt too tight from day one. So I believe for some reason the belt height is screwing up my shift. I can't prove it yet because I'm waiting for my new secondary spring to come in and they needed the demo back together for a customer. The height in the manual is 1.5mm. So you may want to check and make sure its within spec.

Also the 8dn belt on the viper reached yamaha and they sent a bulletin to the dealer warning them not to use it on the viper it is not a fix. Apparently the belts have a 3 degree difference in the angle on the sides. Just though I would share what I heard. I still think the 8dn belt works better.

Im going to take a break from clutching until next week. It's going to be a beer and buff weekend and wait for the snowstorm that is coming this weekend. I will post back next week and let you know if that completely fixed my problem when my new spring comes in.

I would like to give a shout out to my dealer Atlantic Motoplex who went above and beyond for me. I have had the best service here. I have been associated with a lot of great dealers in the past, but they are by far the best. Any time I have had a problem with something they always made sure I was on the snow for the weekend.

Man I read this 5 times and don't know where to start

Good luck with your setup

Back