• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper Ltx Se clutch help/opinions

So you are using stock 8JP and are at 1.5mm above and it works well? Then you say your Philosophy of tightening belt till it creeps does NOT work on this sled? Can you clarify?
Yes I'm using the 8pj belt for now. When my belt ride height was set too high/tight it wouldn't pull its rpm's in the mid. Example: hit it off the line 8900 after a few feet fall to 8300 and then slowly pull itself back up to 9000.
I put my belt even tighter by mistake it amplified my problem. Hit it off the line 8500 after a few feet 7900 and slowly pull to 9000.
That is when it came to me, hmmmm I wonder. So I set my belt up to be within spec and bingo.
Hit it off the line 8900 after a few feet 8800 and pulled right through to 9000+. If it dipped below say 8600 it didn't stay there long.

That's in interesting outcome, last year I always found mine to work best when belt was set even with the top on the secondary, it seemed to load the engine a little more and really grunt and I had mine set up to be as close to the rev limiter as I could without it hitting it steady, I didn't mind if it hit once on launch as long as it didn't pull rpm down.

Checked my belt deflection this morning quick before work, definately tighter then spec... Going to adjust it and then go out and test and will post back with results... I wonder if it's as simple as this... Test results are basically the same as the results posted by sixstringorsnow... Very curious at this point!

Some of us had very odd results from the 8jp that ended up being slipping. Very crappy results from that belt that seem to be hit and miss, I would certainly put on a 8dn that always acts the same to test with.

Some of us had very odd results from the 8jp that ended up being slipping. Very crappy results from that belt that seem to be hit and miss, I would certainly put on a 8dn that always acts the same to test with.
I agree. But I was trying to find out what the problem was so I had to keep everything the same as the demo. I did notice two black marks on my primary that are always there when running the 8jp belt. So it is slipping some. When I do put the 8dn belt back on I am going to make sure it is flush with the secondary. My 8fp weights are hacked up and I'm waiting for new ones. That may take a while, they are backordered in Canada to.

Last edited:
So finally got around to checking belt deflection, made some adjustments, was a little to high in the secondary, shimmed and rode and rechecked, now bang on at 1.5mm above the secondary.

Took it out and rode it, got it hot and re-tested in the field I've been using... Basically same results as I've see... Maybe the rpm increased quicker, hard to tell... I'm still getting the drop in rpm, depending on how hard it hooks it will change the drop in rpm, least I saw was 200 rpm drop, most I saw was 600 rpm drop

So finally got around to checking belt deflection, made some adjustments, was a little to high in the secondary, shimmed and rode and rechecked, now bang on at 1.5mm above the secondary.

Took it out and rode it, got it hot and re-tested in the field I've been using... Basically same results as I've see... Maybe the rpm increased quicker, hard to tell... I'm still getting the drop in rpm, depending on how hard it hooks it will change the drop in rpm, least I saw was 200 rpm drop, most I saw was 600 rpm drop
Try dropping it 1mm to see if that does anything. I had to put a new pink secondary spring in mine also. How many miles on your sled?

This is just a thought, but I wonder if the 8jp was just a little bit short for this sled and that's why people had such good results with the 8dn. We know this sled was a mishmash between 2 different companies and maybe all the details weren't completely perfect (I know, call me Mr. Obvious right).

That would explain all the belt burning and slipping and inconsistency between different sleds and why sixstring had such good results by just loosening his deflection. If the belt is too tight you will never see full shiftout and it feels like the sled just gets to a certain rpm and hits a wall.

Anyway just another theory to test.

Or maybe the longer 8dn just bandaided the binding secondary spring.

This is just a thought, but I wonder if the 8jp was just a little bit short for this sled and that's why people had such good results with the 8dn. We know this sled was a mishmash between 2 different companies and maybe all the details weren't completely perfect (I know, call me Mr. Obvious right).

That would explain all the belt burning and slipping and inconsistency between different sleds and why sixstring had such good results by just loosening his deflection. If the belt is too tight you will never see full shiftout and it feels like the sled just gets to a certain rpm and hits a wall.

Anyway just another theory to test.

Or maybe the longer 8dn just bandaided the binding secondary spring.
That could be, but when I was running the 8dn belt it was also doing the same as my 8jp belt. But I was also running it too tight. I haven't tried the 8dn yet, I'm trying to get my sled set up close with the 8jp belt and then try the 8dn with the proper ride height and see what happens. My goal is to try it this weekend.

Alright guys, wanted to wait and see some results before I posted back on this thread... I ended up taking the sled down to hurricane and worked the afternoon with him setting up the clutching. All I have to say is the service is second to none! Dave is an awesome guy and definately knows his stuff!!! Highly highly recommend him.

Anyways, went out to the lake and did some long pulls and some drag racing... After some minor adjusting getting a consistant 104-105mph on radar in roughly 1/4 mile. I'm extremely happy! Where I was even happier is when we started lining sleds up, wow this thing pulls hard, dam hard!! Easily took 2 well setup srx's an older viper, new 2015 viper and a well setup venture (this was everyone that would race me) the new stock viper isn't even a comparison, at all! All in all a success and definately happy to be part of the 100 mph club again!!!

Alright guys, wanted to wait and see some results before I posted back on this thread... I ended up taking the sled down to hurricane and worked the afternoon with him setting up the clutching. All I have to say is the service is second to none! Dave is an awesome guy and definately knows his stuff!!! Highly highly recommend him.

Anyways, went out to the lake and did some long pulls and some drag racing... After some minor adjusting getting a consistant 104-105mph on radar in roughly 1/4 mile. I'm extremely happy! Where I was even happier is when we started lining sleds up, wow this thing pulls hard, dam hard!! Easily took 2 well setup srx's an older viper, new 2015 viper and a well setup venture (this was everyone that would race me) the new stock viper isn't even a comparison, at all! All in all a success and definately happy to be part of the 100 mph club again!!!
just curious what was your weight set up??

Back