• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper MPI Trail Turbo upgrade

Adams574

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Viper LE Mpi turbo 162
2012 Nytro MTX 153
2009 Nytro XTX 144
Previous
2009 Summit 800
2008 Summit X 800
2007 Apex warrior
2007 Summit 800
2006 Summit 600
2006 MXZ Renagade 600
2004 RX-1 Mountian
2002 RMK 800
1996 ZR 580
1988 Cougar 500
1985 kitty cat
I was down at my local Yamaha dealer today ordering parts for my viper and he mentioned an upgrade to my spring ordered MPI trail turbo. He was under the impression it was an addition of a intercooler, fuel pump and a different waste gate. In total making it a full stage 1 kit capable of 7-8# and 200-210hp on pump gas.
I have been surfing the MPI website but have not found an answer.
Any intel would be appreciated.

I was down at my local Yamaha dealer today ordering parts for my viper and he mentioned an upgrade to my spring ordered MPI trail turbo. He was under the impression it was an addition of a intercooler, fuel pump and a different waste gate. In total making it a full stage 1 kit capable of 7-8# and 200-210hp on pump gas.

I don't believe that is correct... it will be lower boost 5 to 6, no intercooler. You are better off calling them at MPI.

Non intercooled "base" kit with a new electronic wastegate control. The unit adjusts directly to manifold pressure so the more baro (sea level) the less added boost and when in the mountains it runs more boost to adjust to the same total pressure/MAP.
If you run a boost gauge you will see it, but otherwise the operation should be seamless.

I don't believe that is correct... it will be lower boost 5 to 6, no intercooler. You are better off calling them at MPI.
It's a kit in addition to the non inter-cooled $2000 turbo spring order. Dealer was vague on price of the upgrade but was happy to install for the same price.

The spring turbo deal was for the MTX only. The trail turbo was just released a few weeks ago. I think you have a Mountain kit ordered. The difference between the two is just the electronic boost controller. Its more critical to control boost at sea level that it is in the mountain from a safety stand point. But from a performance stand point it more critical to boost control in the mountains. This electronic controller can be added to any turbo. The kit is upgradeable to 240+ hp. That would require a intercooler, fuel pump, extra injector, and a different waste gate. To run that on pump gas would require a head shim.

Yes that is correct I do have the 2015 viper mtx 162 ordered. On top of that I paid $2000 for a spring surge Mpi turbo to be included, it was refered to as a "trail turbo" at dealership not a full stage 1. My question is whether or not Mountian Performance Inocroprated has an upgrade Kit to the turbo I orderd. The addition of a inter cooler and such? So far I have seen nothing on the website and Im sure my friends as well as many of you are intrested in knowing. Sorry for the confusion.

viper intercooler.JPG
Yes that is correct I do have the 2015 viper mtx 162 ordered. On top of that I paid $2000 for a spring surge Mpi turbo to be included, it was refered to as a "trail turbo" at dealership not a full stage 1. My question is whether or not Mountian Performance Inocroprated has an upgrade Kit to the turbo I orderd. The addition of a inter cooler and such? So far I have seen nothing on the website and Im sure my friends as well as many of you are intrested in knowing. Sorry for the confusion.

Yes we just finished welding over 100 intercoolers up over the last week in preparation for this. The "stage 1" upgrade will include an intercooler and a high boost wastegate. Depending on your overall goal it may require fuel system upgrades ie, fuel pump, 4th injector etc. I will post more detail info soon.

Last edited:
View attachment 98770

Yes we just finished welding over 100 intercoolers up over the last week in preparation for this. The "stage 1" upgrade will include an intercooler and a high boost wastegate. Depending on your overall goal it may require fuel system upgrades ie, fuel pump, 4th injector etc. I will post more detail info soon.
Matt thank you for the update. We're all chomping at the bit here.

View attachment 98770

Awesome just what i was waiting to hear. Do you have a price on the kit that will take the "power surge kit" and make it a full stage 1

Back