• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper Won't Start After 10 Miles

Try this "We also have a malfunction in the emergency stop switch if you don't hold the button down the sled won't start."

Just read this on DooTalk, guy installing a turbo on his Dad's viper.

Kaz

I plan to get rid of that throttleblock down the road. Its what caused my no start condition yesterday.

rhollermann said:
I didn't take the cap off though. What is that supposed to accomplish?

Removal of the cap would help if you have an issue with the tank vent. If the tank's vent is not breathing it will create a hydraulic lockup and thus no fuel flow. I've had this happen once or twice on dirt bikes.

Worth a try.

IT LIVES!!! I charged the battery last night and kept it inside. Reinstalled the battery this evening and it started right up! The cranking speed did not seem to change, however, if the system voltage was too low, the ECU may not have allowed it to try and start. It must not have gotten a proper charge at the dealership.

Thanks for the suggestions and help!

rhollermann said:
IT LIVES!!! I charged the battery last night and kept it inside. Reinstalled the battery this evening and it started right up! The cranking speed did not seem to change, however, if the system voltage was too low, the ECU may not have allowed it to try and start. It must not have gotten a proper charge at the dealership.

You originally said it turned over quickly enough. I doudt its your battery. I still think you had a frozen relay or a frozen fuel pump.

Some of the guys at the dealer also had hard starting problems. Even when fully warm. Once they got used to letting the pump cycle even when warm no problems since. Is odd. Also noticed the AC Turbos lights come on when key is on. Ours dont. Alot of differences and mystery to unlock.

The sled did turn over quickly enough, but after cranking for a while, it flashed a low voltage code. I don't think a frozen fuel pump or relay is likely because the sled hasn't seen temperatures above 0F since it wouldn't start. Seems like if something was frozen, it certainly wouldn't have unfroze in these conditions. All I did was charge the battery and it started. I'll try and start it again tomorrow after -20F tonight and see if it still works.

SledFreak said:
rhollermann said:

You originally said it turned over quickly enough. I doudt its your battery. I still think you had a frozen relay or a frozen fuel pump.

Back in the 80's Cadillac had this same issue. Car would turn fast enough but without a very good battery the voltage would drop enough you would not get a hot enough spark for the electronics. Amperage does not always equate to voltage. I am not saying that is what happened here but I have seen it occur in autos.

The sled started again today! I didn't touch anything on it since I shut it off last night. It was -20F last night, and -10F when I just tried to start it. Thanks again for the help!

That's good ! I don't think the dealer changed your battery right , this may have taken a year or two off the battery life , hope not

I rode today and it was over -30, no issues with start up, it is stored in an uninsulated unheated garage.

baggs66 said:
Don't add ISO to ethanol that's just adding more alcohol to your fuel which will make it hard to start the colder it gets.

Exactly. Now it's more than e10, and it's not designed for less than 90% gasoline.

Try covering the end of the exhaust pipe with a leather mitt / glove (just hold your hand over it) and crank the Viper over for a few seconds until it tries to run. Stop, remove you hand off the pipe end and crank again. It should start. Let us know.

Back