• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Voltage regulator failure - symptoms?

Woody255

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Vmax4's
Hi all, my 19 Tcat with the Earth X ETZ14C battery went dead on the lake yesterday. It started, but stalled after a few minutes while idling and would not crank. We found the battery to be at 8.8v.

Thanks to SideshowBob, we swapped out the battery, but the dash indicated it was only producing 10.6v. This increased to 11.8 while riding back to the trailer, but fell back to 10.6 at idle.

There were no other symptoms. Everything else appeared to be fine.

I am assuming the voltage regulator has failed, which appears common on the 19 models. Has anyone else experienced comparable issues? Thanks.

My 2021 had a bad regulator from new. The battery would die only at night time when the high beams and heated seat where on.

If you go in your dash options. Where the temperature is change that to voltage. You should be running 13-14 . When I turned my high beams on it would go bellow 11volts.

Be careful running a unit with a dead battery, we have seen that fry voltage regulators before. This may be what happened.

Hi all, my 19 Tcat with the Earth X ETZ14C battery went dead on the lake yesterday. It started, but stalled after a few minutes while idling and would not crank. We found the battery to be at 8.8v.

Thanks to SideshowBob, we swapped out the battery, but the dash indicated it was only producing 10.6v. This increased to 11.8 while riding back to the trailer, but fell back to 10.6 at idle.

There were no other symptoms. Everything else appeared to be fine.

I am assuming the voltage regulator has failed, which appears common on the 19 models. Has anyone else experienced comparable issues? Thanks.
Sooo if you read my post from last week i went through same issue, here is cause and effect.... mine was with a lithium ion battery that had a battery management system that shuts off when -10 c, and the voltage regulator has no where to send charge soo it dies, the other reason is if your battery is dead or disconnected... some way iinternally or just plain dead and wont accept a charge.... and you boost it... and then disconnect the booster while engines running... the voltage regulator spikes and fries as it sees it as you just disconnected battery,,, and again has no where to send charge. little pain to change but not too bad about 1 hour, in nose of sled

Thanks for your input guys. I replaced the VR, but have not yet fired it up. Hopefully the problem is solved.

Back