• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Waiting till next year!!

red dog

Extreme
With all the bullshiit going around thinking I'll just wait till next year. Was going to buy Apex with EPS but along came the YAMACAT. Got pretty excited,until the Yamaha faithful( which I am) started saying what a piece of shiit the Cats are.Well if the Cats are going to be shiit so will be the Vipers. Was looking forward to a new ma/pa dealership too. Still trying to understand why Yamaha even made me look at another brand? Now thinking I might as well take a look at all brands. WTF ??

Honestly I wasn't even in the market for a new one this year until I demo rode the Viper a couple weeks ago. When I rode my buddies pro cross a year ago I told him if I could get my Nytro engine in that chassis I would buy one. Never imagined it would happen and the test ride didn't dissapoint. The pro cross chassis is superior in every way but has had some reliability issues with the chain case and some belt eating problems. I think Yamaha clutches fix the belt problem and they say they have the chain case sorted out. No worries about the powerplant and the rest of the chassis seems amazing. I can see your point about them making you look at other brands. I spent a week on the phone looking for a 1200 doo to ride for comparison just to see if I was crazy or not. I wasn't, the viper is a blast to ride! It may have some issues but they give you a 3 yr warranty and I got another 2 years for $100 so with 5 years warranty Yamaha will have plenty of time to make it rite. Can't wait!

After having more than 5,000 miles combined on my 08 and 09 Nytro's I jumped ship to a 2013 AC SP Limited Turbo for this season. In the almost 1,300 miles this season the only issues wiith my AC were the belts that it went through and the fuel gauge was way off.

On my Nytro I had issues with the front-end (spindles), hifax, too small fuel tank, and the handwarmers.

After about 12 miles on the Viper at the demo ride in WI Rapids a couple weeks ago I was very impressed with the ride. It handled great and felt a lot lighter than my AC. I feel that the Viper is the best of both worlds. Anyone who is concerned with the AC part of the sled should not be worried!

I know the engine is good but what about the chassis is it solid or is there a lot of problems with it.....
I know about belt, chain case problems just want to know if there has been any chassis problems

09nytro said:
I know the engine is good but what about the chassis is it solid or is there a lot of problems with it.....
I know about belt, chain case problems just want to know if there has been any chassis problems
Only actual chassis issues that were documented with the ProCross chassis was the tunnel buckling issue that many owners had on the first season 2012 sleds. This was not a structural integrity issue, but was caused by ice build up between the top of the tunnel and the tunnel length heat exchanger which was mounted with a gap between them to enhance cooling while using a smaller cooler. Sounded good at the time but the ice expanded as it froze and bent the top of the tunnel all to hell. At no point did this render the sleds not usable, just a cosmetic thing. Problem was solved on 2013 with a new flat top tunnel design with no more gap. Viper will not have this issue because it A) has the newer flat tunnel and B) doesn't have tunnel heat exchangers. To the best of my knowledge there has been no abnormal issues with bulkhead or frame failure. I say abnormal because you will always find someone in the sled world who will find a way to bend and break anything. And then of course they will post it on Hardcoresledder or some other forum.

Guess what guys they all break. My all Japan made Apex is breaking parts every other ride these day (just hit 6000 miles). Engine is bombproof but the rear skid is a joke. :o|
Did just see the new El Tigre at the dealer (they are Yam/Cat) when I was getting my wheel bearing. Said they may have a Viper Demo here soon. :Rockon:

red dog said:
With all the bullshiit going around thinking I'll just wait till next year. Was going to buy Apex with EPS but along came the YAMACAT. Got pretty excited,until the Yamaha faithful( which I am) started saying what a piece of shiit the Cats are.Well if the Cats are going to be shiit so will be the Vipers. Was looking forward to a new ma/pa dealership too. Still trying to understand why Yamaha even made me look at another brand? Now thinking I might as well take a look at all brands. WTF ??

Do you really think we needed another thread like this....total waste dude, plus Mr Sled and the mods said enough. If you think it's going to be a pile of crap...don't buy it, look elsewhere, buy a diferent brand, do what ya gotta do..nobody says ya need to buy it. ;):D

shaddow44 said:
red dog said:

Do you really think we needed another thread like this....total waste dude, plus Mr Sled and the mods said enough. If you think it's going to be a pile of crap...don't buy it, look elsewhere, buy a diferent brand, do what ya gotta do..nobody says ya need to buy it. ;):D

Don't like it, don't respond. Where can I get some of this blue Koolaid???

I think the OP has a legitimate point. I am in kind of the same boat. Have been on an SXR for the last 5-6 years and even though it is very solid and fun the suspension is beating me up even with revalved shocks and new seat. So have been saving my money and was just ready to pull the trigger on a leftover Apex. Now this anouncement comes out and now I am torn because the Viper looks like it fits my riding style better, but I am not one to buy anything the first year. It's not like I hate Artic Cat or anything, but I would like to see the product first and hear how things are going. So now am in a holding pattern wondering what next year brings for the Viper and Yamaha in general. I know it is what it is, but doesn't make it any less frustrating. On the positive side there is one more Yamaha sled in the lineup to choose from, we just have to wait till next year to really check it out.

sxr70001 said:
I think the OP has a legitimate point. I am in kind of the same boat. Have been on an SXR for the last 5-6 years and even though it is very solid and fun the suspension is beating me up even with revalved shocks and new seat. So have been saving my money and was just ready to pull the trigger on a leftover Apex. Now this anouncement comes out and now I am torn because the Viper looks like it fits my riding style better, but I am not one to buy anything the first year. It's not like I hate Artic Cat or anything, but I would like to see the product first and hear how things are going. So now am in a holding pattern wondering what next year brings for the Viper and Yamaha in general. I know it is what it is, but doesn't make it any less frustrating. On the positive side there is one more Yamaha sled in the lineup to choose from, we just have to wait till next year to really check it out.

While the rest of you are sitting on your outdated dinosaurs I will be riding the most advanced snowmobile to hit the snow to date! I will keep posting all next winter after every ride to let you know how awesome the Viper is and how little I regret the decision to buy a first year sled.

Yeah I know some of you guys change sleds like underwear, but as someone who had 3 kids in college this year I don't take risks like that with my hard earned money. I will just wait and see. I've waited this long. I wish you the best with your new sled and will be eagerly awaiting your real life reports so I can decide. Cheers!

Hey I agree with you 100% these are a lot of money in an already tight economy but I've waited seven years for a new sled and am very confident this is the one to fill my needs. I will post my real world results of trying this sled to its limits and I won't sugar coat it, if it sucks I'll be the first to tell you. Until then I'm excited to ride it!

Back