• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Weight

Nice find....I have never been able to find AC dry weights, now this seems too good to be true, but if its correct, then WOW!

I made up a little image here....showing the T-Cat 137". 239kg=526lbs dry.

Dan

View attachment 117365
Yes,so now add 100 lbs and we are right in the ball park some had already found out about the viper with turbo,i like 630 lbs wet any day compared to my last kitty turbo lxr I had.

I don't ride trails.
Than every once to you guys matters,big time,when you have to roll a sled over and over to get it back on top of the snow so you can get unstuck,it matters lots..

Than every once to you guys matters,big time,when you have to roll a sled over and over to get it back on top of the snow so you can get unstuck,it matters lots..

When the extra weight is directly between the two skis that's what makes all the difference.

how critical is the effect of the muffler , to the performance of the turbo ?
Is heat an issue ?
A more free flowing exhaust will aid the turbo. possibly creating more horsepower and most definitely increasing efficiency.

A more free flowing exhaust will aid the turbo. possibly creating more horsepower and most definitely increasing efficiency.
I'm not sure the new Sidewinder muffler would be allowed as carry on luggage on an airplane , as it may not fit in the overhead compartment , and looks like it is more than the allowed 22 lbs !
Hello MBRP trail friendly muffler division !

I had a TD muffler and it was a lot lighter than the suitcase muffler it came with,but it was also a lot louder,people knew you were not stock,and the 10lbs it saved,you never noticed that weight savings,now if it was 30-40lbs maybe you would have noticed it.

there are a lot of variables in interpreting weight of a mobile vehicule like a sled, One of wich is dry or wet weight, but also just as important is mass centralization, and center of gravity, weight distribution front vs back.. . But please, stop telling me the driver is a factor.. hahahahaa...you don't understand physics, the driver is the one moving the sled, he is not the one that the driver is trying to move,.. if anything, a heavier driver is an advantage because the relative weight of the sled compared to his own weight and strengh is less., the bigger you are, the smaller and lighter the sled is for you... But if you guys don't see the difference when the gas tank is full vs empty, well i do, the ski pressure and handling caracterestics change and can definitly see a difference, but i you can't then you don't really care about real weights of sleds...

there are a lot of variables in interpreting weight of a mobile vehicule like a sled, One of wich is dry or wet weight, but also just as important is mass centralization, and center of gravity, weight distribution front vs back.. . But please, stop telling me the driver is a factor.. hahahahaa...you don't understand physics, the driver is the one moving the sled, he is not the one that the driver is trying to move,.. if anything, a heavier driver is an advantage because the relative weight of the sled compared to his own weight and strengh is less., the bigger you are, the smaller and lighter the sled is for you... But if you guys don't see the difference when the gas tank is full vs empty, well i do, the ski pressure and handling caracterestics change and can definitly see a difference, but i you can't then you don't really care about real weights of sleds...
The only time weight is a factor is when you are in a short drag race,weight does not have a huge factor when running smooth long distance for say top speed,as much as COe drag means more in top end running,even as much as stud length,if drag racing the deeper and more the better for hook up,but in a radar run of say 1/2 to 1 mile you only need enough to get you going and stop you when needed,but if you are a huge subject sitting up high on a sled,vrs a tiny subject sneaking behind the windshield the tiny subject will win every time,and the reason when we run taller shields enough to duck behind vrs band aid shields like I will get on the new LTX-LE it will get changed out in a hurry.

But . . . Don't just put on pounds in an attempt to control your sled better LOL . . .

I am never a good rider, but I am much better when I drop 15 pounds off by dieting. It is a real pain to jump from one running board to the other when you are "bulked up". Makes sidehilling a lot easier when you can control your body weight easier.

... what were we talking about again ?

lets discuss...first off the weight is added in theses areas....the exhaust manifold...now located at the rear compared to my sled seen in avatar (2016 zr9000 turbo mod) (which by the way is the best riding and handling sled Ive owned...and Ive owned many) this manifold is a cast piece and looks to be heavy compared to the header like Im accustomed to on my previous nytro motors....the turbo and housing adds weight...the intercooler and hoses...clamps etc...and the plenum which is now lightweight compared to mine....the muffler on the sw is not heavy by comparison to mine...the sw mill doesnt produce an annoying drone...and the turbo quiets it dramatically...there will be some , but less than mine to gain with a muffler swap....I can see 30 more than a viper....but more importantly it appears where the weight is located is better than what Im on now...more aft towards the rider...

Ive heard complaints about the height of the motor with weight up high...again compared to my suzuki twin...there is a lot of room under the motor as observed by a friend at the show...I reminded him ...this is a smaller displacement and looking at the two motors it is compact...I suppose my suk has a much longer stroke to go with the big bore..point being...room underneath but not higher weight up top....looking at the mill on the sw...heaviest weight is between and aft of the spars...and now at the rear..heck even the intercooler was lowered...

conclusion...and of course I cant address how yam will shock valve compared to cat, but if the same...Im here to tell you...this will be a awesome handling machine...the best yamaha fourstroke by far to date...one that will leave you thinking...I cant believe its heavy at all!

lets discuss...first off the weight is added in theses areas....the exhaust manifold...now located at the rear compared to my sled seen in avatar (2016 zr9000 turbo mod) (which by the way is the best riding and handling sled Ive owned...and Ive owned many) this manifold is a cast piece and looks to be heavy compared to the header like Im accustomed to on my previous nytro motors....the turbo and housing adds weight...the intercooler and hoses...clamps etc...and the plenum which is now lightweight compared to mine....the muffler on the sw is not heavy by comparison to mine...the sw mill doesnt produce an annoying drone...and the turbo quiets it dramatically...there will be some , but less than mine to gain with a muffler swap....I can see 30 more than a viper....but more importantly it appears where the weight is located is better than what Im on now...more aft towards the rider...

Ive heard complaints about the height of the motor with weight up high...again compared to my suzuki twin...there is a lot of room under the motor as observed by a friend at the show...I reminded him ...this is a smaller displacement and looking at the two motors it is compact...I suppose my suk has a much longer stroke to go with the big bore..point being...room underneath but not higher weight up top....looking at the mill on the sw...heaviest weight is between and aft of the spars...and now at the rear..heck even the intercooler was lowered...

conclusion...and of course I cant address how yam will shock valve compared to cat, but if the same...Im here to tell you...this will be a awesome handling machine...the best yamaha fourstroke by far to date...one that will leave you thinking...I cant believe its heavy at all!
SJ,like you,i have had the kitty suz procross sled,and was so impressed with its handling and ride,once set up for your stlye of riding,so in my choice to go with the longer than normal length track,the 137 vrs the 129 I had on my LXR cat,i chose the upper class shock package on the LE sense I have spent lots of cash over the years on aftermarket shocks,such as ZBROZ etc. great quality shocks,but at a quality Price to boot,so the extra 1,300 dollar price IMO is worth every penny for these Quality shocks,now if they are valved properly,i feel the new LTX-LE will handle very well,i am currently coming off a 15 ape xtx,w/tipped up rails and stiff shock package and was not the best riding sled,even at 144" track,and its handling is not on par with the procross chassie either,only by having owned both sleds can I give a fair comparison,so that being said,i agree with every thing you have to say about this new viper SW,and now it has a step ahead again,we can now remove all the panels and hood in minutes,compared to my procross,I think it will be the best Yamaha to date,bar none.

SJ,like you,i have had the kitty suz procross sled,and was so impressed with its handling and ride,once set up for your stlye of riding,so in my choice to go with the longer than normal length track,the 137 vrs the 129 I had on my LXR cat,i chose the upper class shock package on the LE sense I have spent lots of cash over the years on aftermarket shocks,such as ZBROZ etc. great quality shocks,but at a quality Price to boot,so the extra 1,300 dollar price IMO is worth every penny for these Quality shocks,now if they are valved properly,i feel the new LTX-LE will handle very well,i am currently coming off a 15 ape xtx,w/tipped up rails and stiff shock package and was not the best riding sled,even at 144" track,and its handling is not on par with the procross chassie either,only by having owned both sleds can I give a fair comparison,so that being said,i agree with every thing you have to say about this new viper SW,and now it has a step ahead again,we can now remove all the panels and hood in minutes,compared to my procross,I think it will be the best Yamaha to date,bar none.
did you do anything to upgrade your Apex XTX , like the star kit , etc ?
I did and I am worried I will miss the 144 tipped advantage , to handle the power !

Back