• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Went out with my dealer

Snow Fever

Expert
Well first off I want to say I brought my camera to take a picture of my dealers sled to show you guys because this is the Hornest RX-1 I have every seen but we did some testing and some riding but I forgot to take any pictures. I will take some down at their shop and put them on here because this thing is sweet you gotta see it. Anyways our 1st few runs I did beat him and I was very happy with myself. The bad news for me though was that he was down on boost (he was getting between 4-5lbs). I told him (Kiddingly) well run what ya brung and I did beat you. He's a real good sport and just laughed. Anyways we cranked up his controller as far as we could (Ran out of thread) and that brought it up just over 6lbs never did go even as high as 7lbs let alone 7 1/2lbs where it should be. Anyways he's running Climax's set up and his RPM was 10,200. I have 6 grams more per weight in my 89Ls and mine runs 10,500rpm. He has 19 over 39 gearing with 9 cog drivers and I have 21 over 39 with 9 cog drivers. We couldn't do dead take off runs because we would just smoke the tracks spinning so we did roll ons. He would pull me by 3-4 sled lengths when we would hit the throttle then we would maintain that till about 75-80 miles an hour then I would start realing him in but in the distance we had I could not catch him. DAMN :( On another note the reason I would start realing him in was when I hit around 75mph my boost starts to climb and it does goes as high as 9lbs. (I seem to have a built in cheater divice :lol: ) I was talking to a buddy that was there and the only thing we can figure that is causing this over boost thing at 75+ is that maybe when you get going that fast I have enough venting that it clears all the heat out of the engine compartment and my Turbo vent is truly ramming cold air down the turbo causing a denser charge so the boost goes up? Oh well it doesn't matter I still got spanked and my dealer still has more boost to be got.(he's down just about a pound and a 1/2 from where it should be) He was trying to chear me up by telling me well hay for a home made kit it works pretty good, but instead I lined up with a piped Viper with a rolled chain case and a short track (144") and made it look like a 500 Indy. That took some of the tears away. Then I lined up with my buddy's 800 (It was his 1st ride of the year so he doesn't have it dialed in yet) but I smoked it as well. The other 2 sleds don't count though I really had my heart set on my dealers sled because that thing is frig'n sweet. I'm going to see if I can try his weights and see if they pull my rpm down like they do on his. Also going to try my 19 tooth again his seems to like it just fine, I thought it would be too low because our Turbo 700's didn't like low gearing but this 4 stroke is a diffrent animal. Well I'll do some more tunning and my dealer will get his boost up to 7 1/2lbs and we'll try again. The only good that came from this is that the sled that cranked me in my opinion is the best sled in this town. Well going to watch TV and have a slice of humble pie now :?

Which Turbo?

Ray I think it is an McXpress, if I remember from an earlier post. Also the 7.5 #'s of bboost is what the McXpress comes with. You guys should get the Variable boost controller and waste gate from Turbonetics, 0 to 10#'s adjustable by turning the knob while you ride. It is less than $200 and a must have accessory for the stylish turbo owner. If your aggressive, they have ones that go to 30#'s.

Re: Which Turbo?

Buckeye said:
Ray I think it is an McXpress, if I remember from an earlier post. Also the 7.5 #'s of bboost is what the McXpress comes with. You guys should get the Variable boost controller and waste gate from Turbonetics, 0 to 10#'s adjustable by turning the knob while you ride. It is less than $200 and a must have accessory for the stylish turbo owner. If your aggressive, they have ones that go to 30#'s.

You mean IF I had a turbo I could make it varriable boost? :shock:

I would never dream of doing that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would never get a variable boostcontroll because I cant trust myself :lol:
"Lets see,it did ok with 10#´s,why not try 15#´s with some racefuel? I swear by GOD I wont go any further than 600 foot" ... and so on.

Hooper I have the same problem as you. If you are someone who likes to mod, turbo's(pipes, bigbores) can be dangerous, for you probably want to get the max out of your sled so you are always pushing the limits to see where the line is. Unfortunately you won't know where the line is until it breaks.

If your modding assume that the final cost will be double what the original cost of the mod would be, for the inevitable blow-ups. If you are not willing to find the line your probably better off to have not done the mod in the first place, as you probably won't be that much faster than a well set-up stocker. The only good thing with 4 strokes is that fortunately crossing the line can be non-fatal unlike 2 strokes. I remember going through 8 pistons(and cylinders) on a quad piped V-Max 4 one year. Now I just keep the motor stock and screw with clutching and gearing, which satisfies my urge to change things.

Blue one Faster?

Yes but not as fast as the Slver one, :twisted: :lol:

As far as the variable boost, the one I have tops out at 10 #'s, which is plenty safe with the head gasket and some race gas mixed in for the lake runs. The nice thing is I can run less boost when I feel like it and don't need it.

Back