• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What is the most reliable turn key boost kit?

YamaMTX

Lifetime Member
I would like to boost my nytro this summer and was wondering what you guys think? I want some thing that is easy to tune and once it is tuned just gas and go and enjoy. I have looked at all them on the websites and read as much as possible. I want a pump gas set up that makes 180-240 hp keeping cost in mind please. Looking for real world exp. Thanks!

They are all good. The installation & tuning is the make & brealk part.
Also run more octane then you think you need.

I've used MPI's stage 1 in the past w/good results. If I was to buy now I'd use Ulmers set-up. Not that I think the product is going to be better but the service IMO is...At the end of the day "all roads lead to service"

I agree completely with Turks comments...I would strongly recommend having someone do the install for you...and only someone who has done a lot of them...

I am not a tuner, but have learned WAY more than I care to, by making mistakes and ruining rides by not doing the things a pro installer would have not done...

that being said, I know more now, about my kit than most tuners know about kits, and can feel the problem before it becomes a problem... hard to explain, but with boost you listen/feel more than you watch indicators/gauges etc.

It would be worth the drive to take it to Ulmers or drop it off for a day on a trip out west, and have MCX-USA install a kit for you...

ust421 said:
Is the MCX rear mount better in the fact that the heat from the turbo is not by the motor?

Personal preference on that one. Id rather have a front mount. The closer the turbo is to the motor the less lag. Granted yes, there will be underhood heat but simple vents will do alot for that. Seems to me pretty much every kit out right now is a turnkey setup. everyone will have its issues with some kits. pick whats closest to you and at a cost your willing to pay.

ust421 said:
Is the MCX rear mount better in the fact that the heat from the turbo is not by the motor?

Like others, I prefer front or mid mount...mine is a mid mount...and with front and mid...you have essentially the same effect as a super charger...yet the efficiency of a turbo...

So, if you can get Allen or someone like him, to do the build, I would CLEARLY go that route!!!

with turbos, it is all in the SMALL details...they are the ones that make you smile or wish you had not spent the money...wrong angle on the intercooler, and your popping it off...wrong tension on the wastegate, and your blowing off boost, and not getting the pressure...small stuff...measured in half turns, and 1/16th of inches...

If you are not into that high of level of precision (which I am not, but had to become that way) then have someone else, and get references to their builds...Some of the biggest builders are not necessarily the best...like others, I wont slam people in public...it is not in me...

Hello YamaMTX

like you I've spent an incredible ammount of time reading about turbo and supercharged.

I've good skills in mechanics so i'm not too much afraid by the installation ... the problem for me is the fine tuning of the turbo/sc and, more again, the clutching set-up.

So, for me, the supplier (and his experience and service) is more important than the product it self.

At the end of my search, I keep out 2 names

Allen Ulmer for turbo
Tom Hartman for sc

Off course both systems have their + and - but in the 200/230 hp I think they are reliable product.
And Internet can say you all you need about Allen and Tom experience.

In th next 2 week I hope I'll can post my real experience installing and testing my sc system.

P.S. i've not considered other systems just because I need to keep the exhaust in the stock position and with a look near to the stock one.

I've done a lot of research on turbos, and the one that pops up on Snowest as being superior to the rest is Impulse. It's a front mount turbo with features that seperate it from the rest, and if I decide to do one, Impulse will be my choice. The only issue I'm finding is trying to find a reputable installer in the far east.

IMO, the key is what boost level you want...

If you want more than 10PSI...there is no choice IMHO (In My Humble Opinion)...Impulse...everything Paul does is beyond top nothc, and service is incredible...he gets to build side and the business/service side of this...

If your good at up to 10PSI then there are several options...Ulmer, MCX, MPI, etc.

however, I still caution the non-tuner...non intensely detailed person from doing this themselves...

I have a 240 MCX and am sooooo glad I went with that. Put gas in, turn key and go. No issues. Love it. :-o

Back