• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What's everyone running for ski's on their Vectors?

studdog said:
groomerdriver, Sorry, I usually sell my sled every spring and the ski's go with. This year because of crapper last winter and only 2500 miles on my 2010 Vector LTX GT I decided to keep this one. It is IMHO the best sled Yamaha has built for the high milege tourer. Too bad Yamaha made no changes to it for 2011. There's still room for improvement.

no need to apologize! ;)! there was a time...1984-96 when I sold my Polaris every year and bought another new one. As long as I traded on the same model, I paid $500...yes $500! Cost me $500 a year to ride 2500 miles. Boy those days are longgg gone! :o|

The LTX is a long track isn't it? Probably next year will be the year for another sled and unless I buy a leftover new , I'll buy low miles used. Honestly a Doo GSX with the 4S is the leading contender for my $$, but it would be hard to give up the sound of a Vector! I love it like I loved my Polaris single piped triples!!!

What could they still do better on it? Just curious...

The Vector LTX GT is a 136" inch track. Very light feeling up front compared to Apex's. Great combination of performance and economy. With my setup very easy steering with good handling. A friend of mine just bought a doo 4 cycle in a touring sled. It will be interesting to compare to my Vector LTX GT.

When Ski Doo 4 strokes start getting 20,000+ miles on them then maybe they can be trusted until then the Vector GT LTX is a great sled. Only thing I wish is maybe a more rider forward seat like the Apex has now.

Banks93 said:
When Ski Doo 4 strokes start getting 20,000+ miles on them then maybe they can be trusted until then the Vector GT LTX is a great sled. Only thing I wish is maybe a more rider forward seat like the Apex has now.

I'm not going to get into a pi$$ing contest with you but the Yami motors are great for sure, and maybe the Doo motor is too...time will tell.

But I'm (and many others) sick and tired of replacing donuts, weights & other assorted parts, along with welding suspension brackets.

My Vector is the ONLY sled I've ever owned that's left me stranded or made me cut a trip short. I've averaged almost 3000 miles per year for over 20 years, so I'm not a casual weekend rider. I just don't want to afford another sled right now.

And FWIW....if you go read other forums, you'll see 4S Doo's turning over 20,000 miles this season. They just can't post it here when it happens.

studdog said:
The Vector LTX GT is a 136" inch track. Very light feeling up front compared to Apex's. Great combination of performance and economy. With my setup very easy steering with good handling. A friend of mine just bought a doo 4 cycle in a touring sled. It will be interesting to compare to my Vector LTX GT.

I would like to ride one for sure! Let us know what you think of both sleds as to how they compare.

grizztracks said:
The deuce bars work great on my Vector. I also ran them on my Nytro for a couple of years but went to Pilots last season. I didn't feel as if the Pilots were an improvement so I'm going with Arrows this year. I was going to try the Pilots on my Vector but decided not to because it handles fine the way it is.

What problem were you trying to fix by going from Duece bars to Pilots on your Nytro?

Bubb Rubb said:
I struggled with the handling on my Vector for 2 seasons. Then I scored a pair of Curve skis on Ebay. I wish I wouldn't have waited so long and wasted all of the good trails. The Curve skis are amazing and have solved all of the darting issues.

Read really goods things about the curve skis, what carbides are you running??? Going to the snow show soon and may get a pair.

Geezer 2 said:
grizztracks said:
The deuce bars work great on my Vector. I also ran them on my Nytro for a couple of years but went to Pilots last season. I didn't feel as if the Pilots were an improvement so I'm going with Arrows this year. I was going to try the Pilots on my Vector but decided not to because it handles fine the way it is.

What problem were you trying to fix by going from Duece bars to Pilots on your Nytro?

It's important to remember that the Nytro requires a lot of rider input compared to a Vector and that their handling characteristics are totally different.

The deuce bars eliminated darting on both sleds and made the Vector handle great but the Nytro still didn't corner like I would like it. It's not terrible with the deuce bars and OEM skis but I wanted to see how other skis would effect the handling characteristics so I decided to give the pilots a try. The Pilots seem to make the Nytro more temperamental to changing snow conditions were as the deuce bar setup was more consistent. Many Yamaha owners go to other skis without trying the deuce bar OEM setup first so we hear how much better other skis are without a comparison to the deuce bars. I prefer the deuce bars over the Pilots on a Nytro.

The trails in this area are very tight and twisty so cornering is important (it's like Nascar on a road course). I've installed a set of Kimpex Arrows on the Nytro and will be giving them a try this season. I'm hoping to get better corning with very little darting and more consistency with changing conditions. If they work out I may stick them on the Vector to see if it's worth buying a second set. If I don't like them I have no problem going back to the deuce bar setup.

6.9 pilots!!! the steering is effortless!!! ABSOLUTELY NO DARTING!!!!! stock doo runneres 6 in middle 4 outside

monte1214 said:
- I know where you can get some nice Pilot's Irv! ;)

I would like to try them, mainly to see how they work and also what they would look like on my sled.

I assume your going to sell them soon now that you have the Arrows?

thrasher said:
Put Pilot 5.7's on my Warrior with 6" centre and 4" outer carbides, works well. Unfortunately, I did this before putting SnowTrackers on the stock skis on my Vector. The SnowTrackers are better in every respect. No darting whatsoever, corners as if on rails on hard pack and are easy to turn considering the looks of them. A little pricey to start with, but just can replace carbides later after buying the system and are much cheaper than a new set of skis.

X2

bobmnh said:
thrasher said:
Put Pilot 5.7's on my Warrior with 6" centre and 4" outer carbides, works well. Unfortunately, I did this before putting SnowTrackers on the stock skis on my Vector. The SnowTrackers are better in every respect. No darting whatsoever, corners as if on rails on hard pack and are easy to turn considering the looks of them. A little pricey to start with, but just can replace carbides later after buying the system and are much cheaper than a new set of skis.

X2

Those that are using Snowtrackers on stock ski's, is shimming still required or recommended to get the full benefit out of them?

My current ride, which I haven't rode yet, is equipped with Woody Duallies but I have no idea if it is shimmed or not?

If it isn't shimmed should I just go ahead and shim it before I even ride it?

The things is I am coming off a 95 XLT SP so I am sure the handling etc is going to be world's better but I will have no idea how much better it "could" be if I don't play a little bit.

Those that are using Snowtrackers on stock ski's, is shimming still required or recommended to get the full benefit out of them?

My current ride, which I haven't rode yet, is equipped with Woody Duallies but I have no idea if it is shimmed or not?

If it isn't shimmed should I just go ahead and shim it before I even ride it?

The things is I am coming off a 95 XLT SP so I am sure the handling etc is going to be world's better but I will have no idea how much better it "could" be if I don't play a little bit.[/quote]

Didn't give it a thought to shim the skis. I don't feel that you have to, but might be worth a try.[/code]

Back