• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Whats your favorite skis and why??

MrSled

Site Admin/CEO
Staff member
Website
www.totallyamaha.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 Sidewinder SRX
I am looking at what everone feels are the best skis on the market. Very interested on what everyone has chosen and the pros and cons of your choice. Please include stock skis with different carbides and so on :Rockon: :Rockon:

Thanks everyone!!!

I use the Pilots. They all but eliminated the darting (just slight darting under certain conditions), improved the cornering and are very easy steering. I have the stock 4" carbides on all 4 runners. They are also some of the least expensive ski choices.

I had good luck with the C&A trail skis with 10" Stud Boy carbides on my SRX. Only have stock skis and carbides on my Apex and am thinking I need to at least try different carbides.

Simmons 4" outside 6" inside more stable in the corners and better floatation only downfall is they make very slow speed turning a little harder when stock, after shimming they work awesome. The biggest dislike I had with the stock ski's was the deep keel caused a teter totter affect when cornering hard and the outside ski comes up.

Slydogs. www.slydogskis.com The very lightest skis on the market (to my knowlege), extremely durable yet very flexible...they'll take a hard hit to a stump, etc. and absorb almost all of the energy, while remaining totally undamaged, so it doesn't get transferred into bent A-arms, etc.

With 8" Bergstrom Triple points and ski savers, they are stunning on the trails...the faster you take a turn, the harder they grip. Light steering effort. Zero darting. Most find 1/16 to 1/8 inch toe in works best on the Apex/Attak....which is very unconventional, as well as very very light front spring preload.

Their trail skis have the exact same keel design as my Powderhounds, they are simply an inch narrower. Either would handle trails identically, the Powderhound version gives some more flotation off trail.

Added bonus: For very little extra money, you can get nearly unlimited custom colors and designs (yours or theirs) molded directly into the skis for a really cool custom look if you're into that sort of thing.

Negatives? Only one I can think of that MIGHT not be a negative at all. I feel in fresh powder that's maybe a foot deep, they tend to wash out and not turn real well...like they just skim over the top. But I haven't convinced myself the skis are causing this...I think it's the nature of the handling of the Attak (with my suspension setup...with maybe a touch too much transfer combined with too much trenching) that I have them installed on. But I can't honestly say for certain which it is (skis or sled), because I've never had another pair of skis on this sled, and I've never had these skis on another sled.

That said, I'll very likely be buying another pair for my new sled. I liked them that much.

To the slydog ski owners. Do you notice any fatigue cracking where the keel attaches to the ski itself? The inverted "V" shape looks like it would be a huge stress riser at the bottom of the ski. but I like the idea of having to buy a single carbide. I'm thinking of new skis myself.
Thanks

danq said:
To the slydog ski owners. Do you notice any fatigue cracking where the keel attaches to the ski itself? The inverted "V" shape looks like it would be a huge stress riser at the bottom of the ski. but I like the idea of having to buy a single carbide. I'm thinking of new skis myself.
Thanks

Nope. I've never heard of one of these skis failing in any way. And based on my unscientific observation alone, they're the most durable skis I've ever owned. They even seem to have very minimal gouges and scratches on the underside, considering some of the conditions I ran in.

I have slydog powder hounds on my attak as well... love the handling.... i just have the cheapo carbides that came with them and ski savers, and there is literally no darting whatsoever... and off trail they float awesome.... takes a little more work to turn off trail, i think due to the increased width, but next sled will have them on it as well, unless i find something better....

I have Slydogs on my 05 Warrior and they are great. Floatation is much better than stock. I had 8" carbides with ripsaw and 108 picks. Corners great with suspension set up. No darting, and no cracks, and they have taken a beating. Bounced off many rocks in the spring. This is my 2nd full season with them. I went to a 1" Ice Claw track and had to reduce the carbide to 6". Rides even better than before.

:yam: :4STroke: :rocks:

I have the Pilots on mine and they are a huge improvement over stock ski's. There is no more darting and my sled feels like it has power steering.

I run C&A Razors for one simple reason. They work! and work in any condition I run in. Trail riding is my sleds primary application and there is nothing worse than not being able to steer. The C&As work in any kind of trail condition I have encountered. Even when the carbides wear, they work. My father has never been a believer in aftermarket skis and was blown away with how well the skis work. I have ridden sled with pilots or Simmons and have noticed they work better when less snow is on the trails. The more the snow, the more they seem to pack the snow between the runners and it will push in the corners. That is just from my experience and others may think differently. C&A razors are the first mod I do to any new sled I purchase...BBY

I have the Yamaha mountain ski with standard carbides on both of our sleds. Great floatation and with the skis shimmed the darting is pretty much gone.

Back