• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Whats your favorite skis and why??

BlueByYou2000 said:
welterracer said:
PILOT SKIS..

WHY: because they have half of the steering effort the sock skis have, alot less darting, and you can actually oversteer them and the sled doesnt want to flip on its side like the stock skis would want to..

P.S. the stock 4 inchers work great if you are just an average rider... Us aggressiver riders need 6 inchers in the center and the 4 inchers in the outsides..

Ive tried 4,6, and 8 inch carbides on the stock skis and even with shimming they dont compare to the pilots with stock carbides..

I had tried C@A pro skis on my rx-warrior and although they hook awsome in the corners, they have even more steering effort than the stock skis and WEAR YOU OUT..

after a hard days riding with the stock skis i would be sore and wore out, with the pilots i am left feeling fresh and wanting more..

Come on now Brian. Your a young weight lifter type guy, and the C&As wore you out??? Hell, im 38 and dont spend a day in the gym and have never felt that way. Sounds like you had to much ski pressure. To be fair you should install a set on the sled you have now. RX-Warrior vs. Apex GT is a completely different sled :ORC

Bodybuilders lift for strength and size not endurance.. LOL :tg:

Why change skis when the pilots work so well..... Yes i was running more ski pressure than normal on the rx-warrior but i had to because of the extra track and weight of the machine..

Maybe you should try the pilots and find out for yourself how much easier that they steer compared to the C@As you run...

BlueByYou2000 said:
I run C&A Razors for one simple reason. They work! and work in any condition I run in. Trail riding is my sleds primary application and there is nothing worse than not being able to steer. The C&As work in any kind of trail condition I have encountered. Even when the carbides wear, they work. I have ridden sled with pilots or Simmons and have noticed they work better when less snow is on the trails. The more the snow, the more they seem to pack the snow between the runners and it will push in the corners. That is just from my experience and others may think differently. C&A razors are the first mod I do to any new sled I purchase...BBY

YEP, That Pretty Much Sums It Up ;)!

welterracer said:
BlueByYou2000 said:
welterracer said:
PILOT SKIS..

WHY: because they have half of the steering effort the sock skis have, alot less darting, and you can actually oversteer them and the sled doesnt want to flip on its side like the stock skis would want to..

P.S. the stock 4 inchers work great if you are just an average rider... Us aggressiver riders need 6 inchers in the center and the 4 inchers in the outsides..

Ive tried 4,6, and 8 inch carbides on the stock skis and even with shimming they dont compare to the pilots with stock carbides..

I had tried C@A pro skis on my rx-warrior and although they hook awsome in the corners, they have even more steering effort than the stock skis and WEAR YOU OUT..

after a hard days riding with the stock skis i would be sore and wore out, with the pilots i am left feeling fresh and wanting more..

Come on now Brian. Your a young weight lifter type guy, and the C&As wore you out??? Hell, im 38 and dont spend a day in the gym and have never felt that way. Sounds like you had to much ski pressure. To be fair you should install a set on the sled you have now. RX-Warrior vs. Apex GT is a completely different sled :ORC

Bodybuilders lift for strength and size not endurance.. LOL :tg:

Why change skis when the pilots work so well..... Yes i was running more ski pressure than normal on the rx-warrior but i had to because of the extra track and weight of the machine..

Maybe you should try the pilots and find out for yourself how much easier that they steer compared to the C@As you run...

Brian, I have tried them. A bud has an identical RTX, same suspension setups and runs pilots. Ill keep my C&As...BBY

I run C&A razors on everything too. I'm well aware of the extra force required to turn at slower speeds, but I love the zero pushing in all conditions. Never tried pilots, maybe on the next sled.

I currently run stock ski's, 6" duece bars and 1/8 shim on my 07GT. Front springs set to minimum and sucked up one hole on the limiter. It's the best stock ski set-up I have found. No darting, fairly easy steering with good bite in all conditions , however, when the trails are frozen or have 3" of loose snow, they grab rutts from other ski's and everything in sight. You find yourself accelerating all the time to try and skim over it. They can be unpredictable in the corners as well. The deep center keel certainley bites in the corners, but wants to catch other ski lines and jerk you around.

I ran a set of C&A razors off reading reviews on here and found they were very tough to steer and were darting at speeds under 40 mph. That was after 1/4" of shims, adjusting toe in and out's and several front spring settings. They do bite well in all conditions, but with the darting and heavy steering, I took them off.

I ran Simmons on my previous sled and am leaning back to them for next year. The dual runner set up really floats well over other ski lines and tracks. Though they do push a little in loose snow, the trade off for easy and predictable steering out weighs it imo.

c&a pro razors made a big difference in all conditions. a little hard to turn when going slow or in hard pack. the sled goes where you point it with no push or tracking problems at all

so far i have tried several skis

if your setting a sled up for your wife or someone who doesnt ride fast through corners, buy woodys duallys and shim the skis to neutral. 0 darting and the steering effort is nill. they will push through corners unless you throw it hard in a corner or plant it with the brake.

stock viper s syle skis(warrior, rtx) work great, the best carbide i have found for stock skis for all around riding is the shaper bar, shimmed to neutral or or a little past.

i have used usi 301 for two years off and on, they are a good all around ski, good flotation, good looks, have an anit dart section in the front that alows you to run un shimed and even shimed in front on some conditions. steering effort is a little more than stock, grip in a corner is alot more

c+a i used these for a while, then let a friend use them last year, for 90%of the time they work great, never push, steering effort is a little more than stock, but not bad, very rugged. the 10% of the time i didnt like was on new groomed trail they were so long and so straight that they turned hard. maybe the rasors wouldnt be as bad as they have a drop down center or if you added ski savers to these it would probly help.

i have a set of simmons i have a love hate realtionship with. they work great, straight as an arrow, only push when there is a horrendous amount of snow in a corner and then not bad. they do have alot of effort to steer them.. i have tried them shimmed positive, negative, neutral, and i think i need to buy different carbides for them to work easier. the carbides that are on them have all the carbide behind the pivot so they are trailing thus wanting to always go straight and resisting the turn. i need a set of carbides for it that have centered carbide, not sure why these have this style on them. oh, the other thing i dont like, they are ugly

i used a set of percision skis as well and they were very good, great on the trail, straight, pushed alot with little snow. steering effort was almost nothing, alot of rocker, slow speed turning was more effort, looked good, just sucked so bad in the corner and on crust i couldnt trust them.

i have riden a sled with slp powder pro skis this winter and they worked great, steering effort was nothing, no darting, they just railed. really like the ski

the best all around for little money would be stock S style skis with firecat offset duallys, they dont push like regular duallys as they are only one bar so the ski preasure isnt divided in half. they require some modification to the carbide bolts to mount but are worth it. they are about 90bucks for a set and are sold left and right. the stock ski will still have the bad flotation for off trail but will work great on trail

P.S. I am selling my c+a pro skis, they need carbides, black with black, 150
selling my usi 301 for 175 used carbides but are sharpened. black on black

BETHEVIPER said:
c+a i used these for a while, then let a friend use them last year, for 90%of the time they work great, never push, steering effort is a little more than stock, but not bad, very rugged. the 10% of the time i didnt like was on new groomed trail they were so long and so straight that they turned hard. maybe the rasors wouldnt be as bad as they have a drop down center or if you added ski savers to these it would probly help.

I'm fairly certain that the Rasors have the same keel and are just as hard to turn as the ADX (this is according to both the C&A website and speaking with C&A reps).

It's the Outlaws that have the dropped center keel section to reduce turning effort (and were recommended to me by C&A reps as an excellent all around ski with reduced turning effort). I found the turning effort very good (easy) with the Outlaws. They performed very well everywhere from hardpack to deep snow, but I can only personally compare them to the stock skis.

skis

in response to chadman. i,ve had slydog trail skis on my apex gt for over 5000 miles and i,m really happy with them. you have to use the ski savers so they wont dart. i use them with eight inch bergstrom triple points and they steer easy. i can only comment on them against the stock skis. the slydogs are a better all around ski.

Back