• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Whats your favorite skis and why??

I don't have enough experience with other skis to really make a "best ski" recomendation, but I did a lot of research and decided to go with C&A Outlaws with 7.5" Shaper bars. I would rate them a significant upgrade to stock skis.

Compared to stock skis with Bergstrom 8" carbides, 1/4" shim, and Bergstrom ski savers (I swapped back and forth several times) the Outlaws:

- perform similarly on hard packed trails as far as cornering grip

- have about the same steering effort or slightly less than stock w/Bergstrom on typical trail conditions

- have almost constant steering effort no matter what the trail conditions are (while the stock ones vary allot).

- are very good at not darting (and this is compared to the Bergstrom setup)

- provide much more flotation in deeper snow conditions and this reduces the tendancy for the sled to dip and nosedive in deeper snow.

- provide a huge improvement in steering ability in looser snow. One place you really see this improvement is ditch banging and keeping the sled riding on the edge of a ditch without getting sucked in.

- are wider and longer than the stock skis.

- have higher wear rates for both the steel portion of the runner and the ski itself.

- don't have as much height at the tip of the ski so its sometimes more difficult to climb curbs and other objects (this can be adjusted, but even the high position is lower than stock by a fair bit).

So, in summary, the Outlaws are an excellent all around ski that doesn't increase the steering effort noticably, provides much better loose snow performance but unfortunately when used in non-ideal snow conditions, the steel portion of the wear bar wears down quickly (no hard weld at all - but you can have it added yourself) and just ahead of the runner, the ski itself wears down quickly also.

I would definitely recommend them, but if you're going to be riding in poor snow conditions I would recommend installing the stock skis temporarily.

Pilots.....IMO are the best design and the only one like this to my knowledge..

they reduce darting better then stockers and many others....MUCH cheaper in cost then ALL other aftermarket skis....

simple bolt up with a quick adjusting of bushing....

lightest steering effort bar none!...tried simmons and they were much heavier feel at bars.

so far i got 3000+miles on mine with no issues at all...I did run the last 1500 with 6 inch shaper bars in center,which really carve in corners!

Dan

I was considering either the pilots or Slydogs for next season. Where can I get some Pilots? Ski-Doo dealer?, E-Bay? Do they come with yellow ski tips? or will my stock handles fit? what do you mean by adjusting of the bushings? Doug

Slydogs: I have the ski savers with 6' Bergstrom triples. GREAT trail ski and holds the front end up in the powder.

My second choice was the C&A razors but a lot of people had reported they were tough to steer at slow speeds on the trail. So, I tried the slydogs.

Blue Oval , The pilots come with a black ski loop you can buy other color loops. I bought mine from my yamaha dealer who sell doo also he gave me a better price than ebay.

There are 2 bushings in each ski hole that the mounting bolt goes through.
You need to remove one on each ski and simply turn them around.
You also use the new rubber that comes with the skis.

They are a direct bolt on takes about a half hour at most t install.

I have 2000 miles on mine very happy, no darting and easy to steer.

I love my simmons. They corner awesome in all conditions compared to stock & as LB said they will actually get the sled on top of the snow. I run 6" Bergtrom triples on the inside and regular 4" Bergstroms on the outside.

I know this isn't exactly the question, but.... I'll tell you what I don't like and why.... Got a good deal on Precision Skis and I'll tell you, they're far better than stock on hard packed trails, but any loose stuff and the pretty much suck.... likely looking for a change in the off season.... :o|

I have the stock skis with Woody's Dooley's (9"?). I think it made a difference, but I also think they made my fuel range suffer somewhat. They did help with darting, but I also have not shimmed them. I ran out of $$ after changing everything else this year (wife said no more!), and just went that route since my stock carbides were shot after 400 miles. I did add the billet ski hoops, and the carbides are like new. Any trades for Pilots????? He, He,!
Nate

I have run the slydogs with 6" carbides and ski savers, I have adjusted the toe in and out and cant get rid of the darting, may try something else next year. I found the slydogs a little on the thin side and show wear alot.

vice108 said:
I love my simmons. They corner awesome in all conditions compared to stock & as LB said they will actually get the sled on top of the snow. I run 6" Bergtrom triples on the inside and regular 4" Bergstroms on the outside.
I agree with LB and vice108,I love my Simmons!! I'm a 50% trail rider and 50% boondocker,IMO...The Simmons work awesome!! I ride with a Ski-doo rider and he took off his Pilots and put on Simmons. I did try the pilots and they worked good on the trail but they did not have the off trail flotation I was looking for, IMO

Sled Dog said:
I have the Yamaha mountain ski with standard carbides on both of our sleds. Great floatation and with the skis shimmed the darting is pretty much gone.

That's the same setup I have, but can't get it to stop darting - how much and where did you shim?

PILOT SKIS..

WHY: because they have half of the steering effort the sock skis have, alot less darting, and you can actually oversteer them and the sled doesnt want to flip on its side like the stock skis would want to..

P.S. the stock 4 inchers work great if you are just an average rider... Us aggressiver riders need 6 inchers in the center and the 4 inchers in the outsides..

Ive tried 4,6, and 8 inch carbides on the stock skis and even with shimming they dont compare to the pilots with stock carbides..

I had tried C@A pro skis on my rx-warrior and although they hook awsome in the corners, they have even more steering effort than the stock skis and WEAR YOU OUT..

after a hard days riding with the stock skis i would be sore and wore out, with the pilots i am left feeling fresh and wanting more..

Precision Skis all the way....only because I have a set for sale. :rofl:

I have c&a pro's. They are a very durable ski. I think I will be trying the powder hounds on my RTX this year myself!

welterracer said:
PILOT SKIS..

WHY: because they have half of the steering effort the sock skis have, alot less darting, and you can actually oversteer them and the sled doesnt want to flip on its side like the stock skis would want to..

P.S. the stock 4 inchers work great if you are just an average rider... Us aggressiver riders need 6 inchers in the center and the 4 inchers in the outsides..

Ive tried 4,6, and 8 inch carbides on the stock skis and even with shimming they dont compare to the pilots with stock carbides..

I had tried C@A pro skis on my rx-warrior and although they hook awsome in the corners, they have even more steering effort than the stock skis and WEAR YOU OUT..

after a hard days riding with the stock skis i would be sore and wore out, with the pilots i am left feeling fresh and wanting more..

Come on now Brian. Your a young weight lifter type guy, and the C&As wore you out??? Hell, im 38 and dont spend a day in the gym and have never felt that way. Sounds like you had to much ski pressure. To be fair you should install a set on the sled you have now. RX-Warrior vs. Apex GT is a completely different sled :ORC

I would like to buy a set of slydogs for next year but, I really am not sure because of the mixed reports that I hear. I know that I will choose the slydogs or the pilots.

Back