• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

which donuts

nice thing about sled toyz is you get a order number, and constantly emailed purchase status's. so you know exactly when its shipped, or when your order is confirmed. got my copper donuts, ready to put in the phazer.

What a pain working on the exhaust!
For anybody putting in new y pipes..don't bolt the flex pipes to the motor first..you won't get the y pipes in.

So after doing it the right way I went to put the muffler on..what a pain to get the muffler pipes hooked back to the y pipes.
First you have to be careful not to booger up the gaskets in the muffler end of the pipe..and they don't just slide back to gather.
I had to hook a strap and try pulling them together and heat the joint with map gas the sameas I had to take it apart.still don't have it in far enough..I'm bring home another map torch tomorrow so I can heat both pipes good.
What B.S.

BTW..
My new y pipes do have those deflectors..didn't notice them the first time I took a look.

Attachments

• pipes 001.jpg
    pipes 001.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 60
  • pipes 002.jpg
    pipes 002.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 63
I bought the Bender Racing donuts...look the same as stock but they claim they will handle anything. Anybody run them?? We don't have any snow where I'm at so I haven't run it yet.

Can you simply change the donuts without changing the gaskets at the engine block?

I used the same gasket..seemed fine.
Getting the donuts out with out backing off the pipes might not be able to be done.
I had to change y pipes so I didn't try.
On mine I would have had to take the 4 bolts out that hold the muffler in place to move it all back..no way would my y pipes had slid back into the muffler pipe to get the donuts out.

You might be able to leave the all pipes alone and take some motor mounts off and rock the motor a little..didn't try it.

To get new y pipes in you have to take the 4 flex pipes off.

I went with copper donuts just had to back off the Y pipe bolts and they slid back just the right amount to get the flex pipes out. I also used the same engine gasket. The job went really well even though it was my first time thanks to this TY 4 stroke.

Do we need to have another discussion on exhaust donuts again? Really?

I was looking over some of my prior postings and found this response that I had on December 11, 2011 to the same subject:

I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade here, but why do we buy Yamaha snowmobiles? Engine life, quality engineering and all around durability to name a few. I’ve read all the postings about copper exhaust donuts like the rest of us, and I was ready to pull the trigger on a set for my Apex, then reality hit me. Yamaha engineers do not cut corners! They also don’t follow trends.

If Yamaha engineers believed that copper exhaust donuts were a better option, they would have come stock on our sleds. Think about it.

If Yamaha engineers believed that copper exhaust donuts were a better option, they would have come stock on our sleds. Think about it.

They might not have!
Cost!
Heck they gave us wheels that you could not change out the bearings.
Stupid plastic screws all over the place.
Bushings in the a arms that you can't grease and don't last long.
Steering components that wear out fast.
I live yammi but don't lecture me my friend.

Those 5mm hex head bolts are stupid.

RX1MPete said:
Can you simply change the donuts without changing the gaskets at the engine block?

The gasket at the block is steel if I recall and is reusable. You may be able to compress the flex pipes a little to get the donuts in there without taking the flex pipes off. See the second last picture in grizztracks post: http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=90978

Back