• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Which donuts are better

TrueBlue

Lifetime Member
Looking to install new donuts. Which ones are better, oem or copper. From what I am reading copper will last longer but might affect some cracking on the rest of the exhaust. Some one on here said that the new oem donuts come with a new ss screw for the clamp, is that correct & that the new donuts are better than the old donuts that they made. I also here that you should grind off a little metal on the clamp so that they fit tighter.

I put copper ones on my nytro at 8000km and then ran the sled to 23,000 km - and never had an issue.

I think the key is to make sure the clamps are tight.

There is another system where you cut off the end of the header pipes - so they are stubs coming from the engine and install a piece with a flex joint. The entire gasket section is removed.
MS

I put copper ones on my nytro at 8000km and then ran the sled to 23,000 km - and never had an issue.

I think the key is to make sure the clamps are tight.

There is another system where you cut off the end of the header pipes - so they are stubs coming from the engine and install a piece with a flex joint. The entire gasket section is removed.
MS
We went this way! Easy install and well made. Should outlast sled. https://www.fxgarageworks.com/braided-exhaust-flex-pipe/

The FX Garage Works flex pipes replace the original flex and cut out the donuts completely. The newer ones for the 3 cylinders have the manifold/flanges attached however for the 2 cylinders, you still have to cut and keep the original manifolds and there are issues with the bracket that holds the two Y pipes together. Just did it on a Venture Lite and I had to weld them to the Y pipes because I couldn't use the clamps with the bracket in place. They recommended that I remove the bracket, which I DO NOT RECOMMEND as it prevents the pipes themselves from cracking (been there). They were a PITA to install. I would have taken a chance with the copper donuts instead but wanted to permanently fix the issue with the donuts.

Even though I bought a kit for a Phazer/VL, the included instructions were for the 3 cylinder sleds. Although the flex pipes were of very good quality, I wouldn't use them again except possibly for my GT 3 cyl only IF my flex pipes were to break. And they're very expensive compared to the copper donuts. Luckily it already has copper donuts (unknown how long, installed by PO) and it doesn't have any issues.

i used oe when i did my 2011 apex xtx around the 16000 mi mark. i did have to grind the spacers on the clamp to get them tight. at 23000 and still no leaks but i did re rivit tunnel to bulkhead around 20000 mi as i was told to check my rivits by viper_dave as his had come loose with less mi but ridden at least as hard as i had ridden it.

I use the OEM ones on my own sleds with awesome results. the new ones do come with stainless bolts, I take them apart every season to inspect, I have install copper ones for customers with good results, I have installed the FX Garage kit before with not good results, a lot of leaks. Everyone's opinion is going to be different, So I say do what you want your the only one you have to please.

I use the OEM ones on my own sleds with awesome results. the new ones do come with stainless bolts, I take them apart every season to inspect, I have install copper ones for customers with good results, I have installed the FX Garage kit before with not good results, a lot of leaks. Everyone's opinion is going to be different, So I say do what you want your the only one you have to please.
I called Pat's Yamaha & they said you do not get any SS bolts with the OEM donuts

I called Pat's Yamaha & they said you do not get any SS bolts with the OEM donuts
You sure do! I ordered mine though my local dealer and they come with the SS bolt.

Screenshot_20230504-050236-642.png

Is it possible that is only in Canada
Possibly but mine came in a bag together. The dealer had said always replace the bolt when changing the donuts. I put some anti seize on the threads.

Back