• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Which Pilots and how should I mount them?!?!

I know this has been covered many times before and trust me I have done literally hours of reading and just cant seem to find the answer :o|. It seems like everyone mounts them a different way and say there ways the best. I do 60-70% trail riding and 30-40% off trail. The majority of the off trail I do isn’t very extreme either. Should I go with the 5.7 pilots or is it worth the extra money to get the 6.9 for the amount of off trail I do? Will the 6.9 handle any different on the trails? Which ever one I get I’m going to be using the stock carbides that come with them. What the best way to mount them on my Nytro XTX? What rubbers should I use? How do I put the bushing back in to make them work best?

If i were you Id get the 6.9's for a number of reasons...float is one major...you can run the stock carbides in the optional outside mount....Id run a more agressive bar in the middle like a shaper bar..or even shapers in both but that would harder turning but better carving..(arm pump)..but actually if you want less ....you can configure these and different bars different ways and get different results ....
you will need skidoo part number 505072018 ski rubbers...

although I feel my suggestions above are better suited for you...if you dont want to fool with it and want someone to sell you their "kit" here it is:

scroll down the page..

http://www.pioneerperformance.net/

sj said:
If i were you Id get the 6.9's for a number of reasons...float is one major...you can run the stock carbides in the optional outside mount....Id run a more agressive bar in the middle like a shaper bar..or even shapers in both but that would harder turning but better carving..(arm pump)..but actually if you want less ....you can configure these and different bars different ways and get different results ....
you will need skidoo part number 505072018 ski rubbers...

although I feel my suggestions above are better suited for you...if you dont want to fool with it and want someone to sell you their "kit" here it is:

scroll down the page..

http://www.pioneerperformance.net/

Thanks! Is that the ski-doo zx chassis ski rubbers? Will I need to do any modifying to the rubbers to make them fit?

I installed 5.7 pilots last season and bought the skis and rubbers from Honda East. http://www.hondaeasttoledo.com/ I don't think Pioneer actual sells a kit anymore. They will sell the individual parts including the skidoo rubber but you still need to modify it. The new pilot skis now come as single runners but are still designed to except the outer bar (just drill two holes). When doing the install rotate the outer ski bushing so that it fits the Nytro spindle and arrange the spindle ski spacers so that the longer spacer is on the outer side. This will give the skis a wider stance. Check out my post http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

if you ride in fresh snow alot I.E. tug hill, you will not like the pilots.they push bad and wont hold the line of the guy in front of you when side hilling.after my stock apex passed me a bunch of times in those instances i went back to stock with duelies.TR springs up front are the answer to all the nytros problems. i wished i started there.

I have the 5.7 pilots and my xtx carves. No push, just point and shoot. I don't ride in much powder. I am running 8" triple points in the center and 6" carbides on the outside. Go with the slydog rubbers. They are 10 bucks and fit perfect.

nytroD said:
if you ride in fresh snow alot I.E. tug hill, you will not like the pilots.they push bad and wont hold the line of the guy in front of you when side hilling.after my stock apex passed me a bunch of times in those instances i went back to stock with duelies.TR springs up front are the answer to all the nytros problems. i wished i started there.

To be honest, I'm not sure if I really like the Pilots. I'm going to start this season with them on but if I can't get the pilots working better I may go back to the stock skis with studboy deuce bars. With the OEM/deuce bar setup I think the sled had a more balanced setup for most trail conditions. The pilots seem to have a greater swing in handling characteristics with changing snow/trail conditions.

marsh's setup sound good...if not a bit pricey..

I might have a set of dog rubbers laying around?

they push a bit...but with ski pressure and agressive carbide that can be dialed out...till it get real soft and loose.....Id be the 6.9's would be a tad better then..

marsh14, do I need to modify the Slydog rubbers at all?

sj, do you think I would have better luck with Slydog rubbers then Doo's?

geez Im not sure...I was pretty sure the rubbers from pioneer were a direct bolt in...Id call Bruce Shrader at pioneer and ask him about his pieces/kit...

sj said:
geez Im not sure...I was pretty sure the rubbers from pioneer were a direct bolt in...Id call Bruce Shrader at pioneer and ask him about his pieces/kit...

I dropped my shocks off at pioneer last winter and talked to Bruce about the pilot skis and spindle rubbers. They still had the kit in their catalog but no longer sold it. If I remember right, he got a deal on a shipment of skis so he put together the kit and sold them until they were gone. I'm not sure if he did the rubber mod for the kit but at that time I could only buy exactly what I got from Honda East which was much cheaper.

I'd like to see a picture of the Slydog rubbers used with the pilots if anyone has one.

I believe that part number is the same as the skidoo stoppers I installed. The Honda East part number is 506151233. I think you can actually force the skidoo rubber under the Nytro spindle without doing any modifications but it's tight so I trimmed them. Just use your Yamaha rubber to mark the skidoo rubber then use a good razor blade to trim it. The skidoo rubber is notched to fit the pilots but I rotated it so that the taller side was to the back of the Nytro spindle in order to get a better fit.

I originally bought the skidoo rubbers but they had to be cut to fit properly so I got the slydog ones and they just go on, no cutting.

marsh14 said:
I originally bought the skidoo rubbers but they had to be cut to fit properly so I got the slydog ones and they just go on, no cutting.

I went to their website looking for the rubbers. they list a mounting kit for $27. Did you have to contact them to get just the rubbers for $10?
http://slydogskis.com/cart/index.php?ac ... oductId=51

Back