• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

which sled?

rehm70

Expert
This is addressed to those that own and ride Apex GT's RtX's and Attack models.

I am a ski-doo convert, and am doing as much research about Yamaha as I can.
I am wondering, because the dealers I have spoken to have not been able to give me a clear answer.
What Apex will suite my riding style the best?

I like to put on huge miles per day, do not go off trail much if at all, very little jumping, but when the trail gets rough, I DO NOT want to slow down.

With my MXZ, when the trail got BAD(6"-12" hoopties) I would pin the throttle and ride on top. To have the sled set up for this, the small choppies were annoying. I am looking at Yamaha because I believe the "on-the-fly" adjustibility will give me the best of both worlds.
Has this been your experience, or am I wishing too much?
Does the electric adjustability of the GT work well, or is it out performed by the dial system on the tunnel?
Is the dial easily changed when riding the sled?
Do the Fox floats work well in all environments? Are the air psi's easily changed on the trail?
Do the GYTR clicker shocks have too much adjustibility, or do all of the settings actually affect the handling of the sled?

Thankyou, I look forward to reading your replies.

Derek

Attachments

• 100_0310.jpg
    100_0310.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 137

That's a pretty nice lookin sled - like the seat, nice touch ;)!

I've ridden Apex's/Attaks and they all ROCK!

Good luck!

I have the 06 RTX which is great for every condition, the fox floats work great once you dial them in ( I run 60-65lbs in mine) with the 06 RTX there is no adjusting on the fly ( u could but it would be kinda tricky) but a quick pullover and adjust your dial is pretty simple, but I never did that because I had everything set up and the suspension would just eat up EVERY mogul in front of me, My buddies and I ride pretty much ballz out and I can come home or wake up every morning after a good day of riding and never be SORE. The 07 RTX has the CK and not the MONO suspension as the 06 did, basically the difference is instead of the mono sucking up the moguls, the CK allows you to preload and launch over the moguls, either sled IMO would be great for ya, Just make sure to dial in the suspension. The GT's and Attaks are great also, but I just have more seat time in the RTX's.

Based on what you said...

Attak GT. You will be VERY happy that you did. Per everyone look up the ski threads.

There are a few things to consider.
First i am assuming we are talking about 07 models.
2nd you did not post your weight.
A lot of people have complained about the mono rear not holding it's own in the rough trails and most of them have upgraded the stock spring. because of this yamaha has put a "rough trail suspension in the 07 rtx model.

Only the gt model apex will allow you to adjust on the fly.
and the gt has the monoshock suspension.

the rtx model apex has the best big bump suspension. but it is not a mono. and you can not just change on the fly, it is a little more involved then that.

The std version of the apex has the monoshock with adjustments on the tunnel.

the attack is going to have a longer track 136
and offer the monoshock rear suspension with the adjust on the fly version (GT). and the tunnel mounted adjust all other attacks.

with that said
the fox shocks are absolutely awesome and i would not change them for anything. I find they work well in all enviroments.
The adjustment on the tunnel is easy to adjust when moving but for safteys sake i would suggest stopping or at least slowing to a crawl.

In my honest opinion the rtx best suits the way you described that you ride.
the attack is labled as trail versatility and you claim you dont go off trail so no need for a longer track.

rehm70, welcome to the site. Regarding your questions, Attak GT would be my recommendation based on your criteria. The GT adjustments on last year's Apex worked very well and the longer track version is better, imo, for high mileage riders.

Click on this thread regarding people switching from the Rev platform to an Attak, complete with a very well done video. ;)!

the CK and not the MONO suspension as the 06 did, basically the difference is instead of the mono sucking up the moguls, the CK allows you to preload and launch over the moguls, either sled IMO would be great for ya, Just make sure to dial in the suspension. The GT's and Attaks are great also, but I just have more seat time in the RTX's.[/quote]
What does it mean to preload ?? :drink: and no i am not talking guns :jump:

Back