• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Which socket/tool to use to change spark plugs?

Wisconsin

Pro
I ordered some CR10EIX plugs for my apex and before they get here I wanted to loosen the old plugs a 13/16 socket doesn't fit down into the plug well. I tried to put the largest apex toolkit pivoting socket into the hole to check, but it just spun on the plug, so I'm assuming that it isn't large enough to catch the plug. Can someone let me know what to use to get the plugs out?

Maybe the wall is thinner on that socket? I tried two 13/16" sockets and the closest metric socket that I had and they were all too thick to fit down there. Maybe a dedicated spark plug socket will have a thinner side wall?

Its a very small plug, Its not a 13/16". A normal socket works fine.

Use the piviting socket in the tool kit but use the small end of it. Eric

A plug socket always works better.... they have the rubber inside that grabs the porcelain portion.

I can see it falling out of the socket now, hitting the electrodes and closing the gap. Seen that too often

I'll try the other ideas and see what I can get to work. I'll check what fits the new plugs when they arrive. I tried fitment on an irridium plug for my Suzuki TL1000R that I haven't installed yet and the 13/16" socket fit perfectly. It is also an NGK irridium plug. Would that be a different size than the Apex spark plugs?

Two standard sizes, 5/8 and 13/16 use the small one. And get a dedicated spark plug socket, the rubber inside will pull the plug up the long tube.

dont forget the new plugs dont have the caps on them that you need as well. i use a long needle nose pair of pliers to easy the plugs into/out of the cylinders as well if you dont have the rubber mounted 5/8" plug socket.

I wasn't sure if the CR10EIX didn't have the caps or if it was only the CR10EK's that didn't have the caps. Anyone own the iridiums and can comment?

Back