• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Who Else is playing catch up with their new Sidewinder and what are you doing different this time around?

I would upgrade for power steering.

Not sure what you mean by "trenching lines and doesn't mph much better?" It's all about traction, clutching, gearing. If I'm not mistaken, you have now geared up to 21/38? Compared to stock 21/41 (Winder) or 24/50 (Cat), 21/38 will be allot better (1000', 1/4 mile?), assuming decent traction, especially on a tuned sled w right clutching. IMO, have to shift up fast to avoid big trenching, and have enough gear to keep pulling. I think you'll find out what a big difference there is. Depending on how big of a tune there is, even more gearing will probably ET better in 1000/1250' (assuming traction from the dig). Testing, testing, testing with a reliable instrument is the only way to find out.
Sled purchased in oct' 16 always always always gone 115mph. went out of town for 5yrs. When I got back (last year) Decided to tune (TD bundle with dash flash) I was completely shamed. As you know conditions were not favorable. Best I could manage was 117mph stock everything else. I'm sure it could have did a few better. But it is what it is.
So to start this season I've got 3" muffler, 192 1.63" studs Added 21/38 can go to 21/37 without needed a new chain and four different helixes to try. Going to start testing on 270hp pm tune. I can click down power to match what I have, all the way down to Eco trail, if that's what it takes.
I'm hopeful between the gear change & helix ill start to make magic. Who knows.

You can have all the power in the world, but if you can't put it to the ground it's useless. It's all in the clutching. Even if your traction is top notch you're not going anywhere without the proper clutching. This means a balanced primary and secondary clutch working together

Sled purchased in oct' 16 always always always gone 115mph. went out of town for 5yrs. When I got back (last year) Decided to tune (TD bundle with dash flash) I was completely shamed. As you know conditions were not favorable. Best I could manage was 117mph stock everything else. I'm sure it could have did a few better. But it is what it is.
So to start this season I've got 3" muffler, 192 1.63" studs Added 21/38 can go to 21/37 without needed a new chain and four different helixes to try. Going to start testing on 270hp pm tune. I can click down power to match what I have, all the way down to Eco trail, if that's what it takes.
Make sure you have trimmed your throttle body clamps, when running more boost they are a certain place to leak.

I say 41/37 because I have had good success with it in the past, but thought the 45/33 just did a better job with more power. It just really gives you the extra belt squeeze when at speed on the lake and when on trail riding I'm usually into the finish angle to get good backshift out of it. The steep start angle get's you out of the hole quick and a good pull out of the apex of the twisties. I have about 5 Helix sitting on the shelf, but that's where i'll start. As far as the intercooler goes this is a great safeguard against detonation. Keep cold air running through the system instead of hot air.

You want Put a old Cat torsion spring in there with that Helix. White, Green and Red/White work well on the smaller tunes. Many have had success with the Black/Orange Dalton Yami spring, but i just can't top the torsion springs with it. Like I already stated the Black/Lime is hard to beat if you are on the bigger tunes so if you plan on running the SS 270 SM tune it'll work just fine and you can use less wrap on the smaller tunes if you are making heat or pulling the belt through the primary.
Thanks for info, fatchance. helix decisions take weeks to test when purchasing them one at a time. I'm close to covering Helixes & have TD bundle. Was going to start at 270 PM tune and clutch for that. Ill turn power down, change helix until Desired traction is achieved.
I have a Dalton blk/org.....I'm glad you think that one will get me close, as I don't have many to choose from.
Ill dragy to 1,000ft when that's available. I definitely have 800' close to me.

I know this is for another thread, but i have to assume you have pressure tested for boost leaks, installed a Turbosmart BOV that has been tightened properly. Map Sensors have been the first thing that I would replace as an area for lost boost.

Stick your phone in between the clutch sheaves on both the primary and secondary and take pics with the belt off. Are there black marks present? If so where are they? There are several scenarios here and the pics will lead you to the answers

I know this is for another thread, but i have to assume you have pressure tested for boost leaks, installed a Turbosmart BOV that has been tightened properly. Map Sensors have been the first thing that I would replace as an area for lost boost.

Stick your phone in between the clutch sheaves on both the primary and secondary and take pics with the belt off. Are there black marks present? If so where are they? There are several scenarios here and the pics will lead you to the answers
Lol....yes, I feel like we've highjacked this post! Barrels cut down, upgraded Bov cut the last 1" off vacuum line. Clamps cranked, boost pressure tested to 20psi...poor stock hoses blow up like balloons ready to burst. Yes, I know.
Yes, I'll take pics of any black marks on clutches, for advise.
Thanks fatchance....

If I had to do it over, I wouldn't bother with the steps I progressively took:
1. SMM tunes,
2. PM Tunes
3. Header Tunes.

Instead, I would go straight for the big turbo tunes, weld the wastegate shut, and build the motor to withstand the abuse.

I wouldn't need power steering, because the skis would never touch the ground.

The only thing stopping me from making this a reality is that winning Powerball Ticket!!

Just the taller gearing will make it a whole different sled. You'll see.

Back