• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Who Has Rode Cats New Chasis and Fx Nytro?

kingedwards99

Expert
Just wondering who has rode the newer cat chasis and Fx nytros? I guess my question is if you had the fx nytro engine what chasis would you want it in and why? Does your knees get bannged around on the cat can you lock your feet in? Thanks for any details :Rockon:

I have a 2010 xtx and a 2013 xf 1100t high country the cat is a way nicer sled in every way. drives way nicer handles way nicer feels much lighter takes bumps way better have gone back and forth and couldn't wait to get back to my cat. everyone will love how these sleds ride.

My cousin has a 2012 n/a 1100. I agree with much of what ^^brendan.9 says...the procross chassis is nice. I thought the seat was a bit stiff. I actually couldn't wait to get back on my Nytro xtx. That 1100 motor was punch less/boring and the exhaust sound was terrible. I feel if you stand alot while you ride then the Nytro is better suited for that. I'd love to try out the 1100 turbo because of the increased hp/power over the 1100 which I thought was pretty lame.

Im a apex owner and also a procross turbo owner. I am also worried about yammie with this chassis. All info seems to point to the fact yammie has helped with this chassis for 2 yrs now. And us cat guys with 12s have so many issues its hard to keep track. But the 13s never got any better, actually got worse on belts IMO for 13.

Yammie clutches will help, but be worried about the horrible chaincase, crap gears,reverse that will leave you stranded in neutral. and about a million other things.

Ive stuck with my turbo and fixed most of it out of my pocket cause cat sucks and even cat has no fixes that work. I keep it cause its the fastest thing out there and easily boosted up to 240-260hp and nothing pulls like this sled.

Lets hope yammie works the kinks out, I dont think it will be lighter then existing nytro, maybe if it is only 10 lbs or so wet. My turbo will probably be about same weight as the viper triple. But my twin ZUK motor sits way lower in chassis so it does rail and handle great. but skid is wayy too stiff, so I would get the standard version with coilovers. and hope that the viper seat is soft, cause the procross seat is like a brick!

Oh and you might as well plan on pilot skis or tuner skis, cause a single carbide ski on this chassis darts like no other, would near throw me off sled! I threw on pilot skis and darting gone.

Oh yeah., the drivers will wear out in 1200 miles, so plan on extroverts cause running a tight track to stop ratcheting wears the POS drivers out!

Fit n finish looks 100 times better on the viper then cats...cats look like they were made by a farmers wife out in the corn fields in TRF.

I would not touch a viper til 2015 to be safe, then maybe a nytro motor with Super charger by then.

Since the motor is still backwards, there is no way they will turbo that setup...but a factory Supercharger would work nicely for cat and yammie for 15.

Dan

Dan nailed it for the most part. I have a '12 XF800 and have been one of the lucky ones that have had minimal issues. It seems it's been a consistency/quality issue probably due to some design problems and also due to losing a lot of experience on the assembly line to the oil fields. My procross 141 has been one of the nicest/lightest sleds I've owned, ever. It isn't nearly as refined as the Nytro and Apex's I've owned, nor is the 2 stroke nearly as smooth. But handling and off trail capability is really good with Powder Pro ski's. I've seen pictures of the TCL on Raceworks Facebook page. It appears to be a whole new design. Stiffer by far. Rumor has it Yamaha has had a lot of direct influence in shaping a new quality program in TRF. When I went to Cat I really liked the handling, lightness and sheer power of the 800HO, but as Dan said, Beavis and Buthead must have put the thing together. And I really miss the smoothness of the Yammi mill. I have a lot of confidence in this sled, and may consider adding the XTX version to my stable to park next to my XF800. Perfect match. Just to clarify, I have had really good luck for 2000 miles now, so my opinion may differ from others.

Dan nailed it for the most part. I have a '12 XF800 and have been one of the lucky ones that have had minimal issues. It seems it's been a consistency/quality issue probably due to some design problems and also due to losing a lot of experience on the assembly line to the oil fields. My procross 141 has been one of the nicest/lightest sleds I've owned, ever. It isn't nearly as refined as the Nytro and Apex's I've owned, nor is the 2 stroke nearly as smooth. But handling and off trail capability is really good with Powder Pro ski's. I've seen pictures of the TCL on Raceworks Facebook page. It appears to be a whole new design. Stiffer by far. Rumor has it Yamaha has had a lot of direct influence in shaping a new quality program in TRF. When I went to Cat I really liked the handling, lightness and sheer power of the 800HO, but as Dan said, Beavis and Buthead must have put the thing together. And I really miss the smoothness of the Yammi mill. I have a lot of confidence in this sled, and may consider adding the XTX version to my stable to park next to my XF800. Perfect match. Just to clarify, I have had really good luck for 2000 miles now, so my opinion may differ from others.

SR Viper

Would like to try this Viper
I have close to 17000 on my Nytro so can be objective.
rode a brand new 13 Arctic Cat M800HCR
nice but rattles and loose. Nice features like adjustable stearing etc but quite frankly darty on the trail and jittery. Loose and not responsive....like comparing a chevy malibu to a BMW 5 series. Obviously better in deep powder as 2.5 inch paddle. I would like to ride a n XTX with same track to really compare.
sure it was lighter but just a matter of time till it detinates.......I imagine?

I own a Nytro XTX and an XF800.

The Cat is easier to ride in absolutely every situation, and worlds ahead when it comes to off-trail and rough-trail capabilities.

I think the Nytro motor in the Cat chassis will be the best thing since sliced bread.

I just hope the quality control is going to be more Yamaha than Cat.

Edit: I should add that with the Cat it feels like you're sitting on it, whereas with the Nytro you're sitting IN it. If you prefer that locked in feel, the Nytro can be more comfortable.

I'll take a stab here. I owned a XTX, and tossed allot of money at it to make it do something it never was going to do, (ride and handle). I never was left stranded but the wearable items at the end of the season were terrible. I bought a XF1100 Turbo and trail rode it last year for 1300 miles, I had excellent luck with it, never had the issues some have, and blew one belt at 900 miles. I did have two bolts loosen up, but it was only on stuff I had taken apart for powder coating or upgrading.

As far as handling, out of the box the stock carbides are a joke, but I rode with them for a while just to get a feel for the sled, after I added 9" Deuce bars and IMO that was all it needed, I played the ski game with the Nytro and was happy with the stock AC ski's. I see Dan had an issue with darting, NEVER did I have that with my sled, but mine was an XF. I did put a flash in the ECU but only a minor one, and ran stock exhaust all year, its nice to have a quite sled sometimes. This chassis flat out is the best thing I have rode, its so well balanced considering the weight of the sled, and it comes into corners and leaves corners extremely flat and precise, very easy to build confidence (something that was extinct with the Nytro). I wasn't as thrilled with the rear skid, being that it is non-coupled it seemed to shine in some spots but in big mogul stuff it seem awkward, I think HyGear has a good fix for that and it isn't that much money.

Seating position and ergo's are much different then the Nytro, and I am not sure what I like better, I guess they are both good, maybe the Nytro makes you want to stand up more, something I never really did on the XF, it wasn't as comfortable to stand like the Nytro was. What I liked was it made you feel like a older chassis sled does when railing corners, "flat and controlled", and that was a major plus after 3 years on a Nytro.

This year I took a year off of trail riding to focus on grass and ice racing, and I ended up making this sled my dedicated race sled, it will never see trail again. So I do wonder if I would have experienced any of the issues that other have in year two of trail riding. I do plan on buying a PC chassis sled this fall, I do not feel there is a better chassis on the market right now and I am not sure what brand it will be, pure cat, or Yamacat.

ROCKERDAN said:
Im a apex owner and also a procross turbo owner. I am also worried about yammie with this chassis. All info seems to point to the fact yammie has helped with this chassis for 2 yrs now. And us cat guys with 12s have so many issues its hard to keep track. But the 13s never got any better, actually got worse on belts IMO for 13.

Yammie clutches will help, but be worried about the horrible chaincase, crap gears,reverse that will leave you stranded in neutral. and about a million other things.

Ive stuck with my turbo and fixed most of it out of my pocket cause cat sucks and even cat has no fixes that work. I keep it cause its the fastest thing out there and easily boosted up to 240-260hp and nothing pulls like this sled.

Lets hope yammie works the kinks out, I dont think it will be lighter then existing nytro, maybe if it is only 10 lbs or so wet. My turbo will probably be about same weight as the viper triple. But my twin ZUK motor sits way lower in chassis so it does rail and handle great. but skid is wayy too stiff, so I would get the standard version with coilovers. and hope that the viper seat is soft, cause the procross seat is like a brick!

Oh and you might as well plan on pilot skis or tuner skis, cause a single carbide ski on this chassis darts like no other, would near throw me off sled! I threw on pilot skis and darting gone.

Oh yeah., the drivers will wear out in 1200 miles, so plan on extroverts cause running a tight track to stop ratcheting wears the POS drivers out!

Fit n finish looks 100 times better on the viper then cats...cats look like they were made by a farmers wife out in the corn fields in TRF.

I would not touch a viper til 2015 to be safe, then maybe a nytro motor with Super charger by then.

Since the motor is still backwards, there is no way they will turbo that setup...but a factory Supercharger would work nicely for cat and yammie for 15.

Dan

I don't think Yamaha has been in design with CAT for the last 2 years on the Procross. But from what I am reading is that Yamaha has been re-engineering it over the last year or so to make the Nytro engine fit into this chasiss. I am sure if Yamaha was involved with the Procross, then the chain case issues would have been resolved. As I agree with you, I think everyone has to step back and watch how this one plays out, but I will be signing up for a demo ride on one...

with all the negatives about my cat, I love to tinker and tune and make things fast. So in the end i do love my turbo cat, fast and handles razior sharp.

I am actually happy in many ways, as us cat owners can only win from this. We can watch all the fixes that yammie REAL engineers come out with and apply them to our cats!

There is no doubt in my mind anyone who rides one will love it! I switch with buds sleds alot, riding his nytro and etec6 . Nytro is alittle quirky in some situations but i still like it. The ETEC6 still handles bumps and corners and is so much lighter then my turbo and the nytro its the best by far IMO for tight twistys of muskoka, just not enough jam though under hood.

I guess i just wonder where this is headed. Sounds like yammie will continue with their sled lineup from japan and only have this one model built in TRF.

But what about cat? Now all cats will start coming with yammie "crown jewel" motors, so I can see a ton of people going over to cat now, as they are cheaper. Seems to me like cat comes out on top in this "agreement"

Dan

I put 10,000kms on my nytro rtx . it was my first sled and loved the reliability and the motor although the top end was a bit slow . I hated how bad it was in the Deep snow drifts and stuff. I got stuck all the time !

I have owned three arctic cat procross turbos . one limited 50th 129 inch . i put 3000 miles on it i blew 8 belts ( $240 a piece) reverse piled up 3 times and then i traded it in on a 2013 procross RR complete different skid and shocks handled way better more adjustable ride . It caught on fire with 150miles on it .
arctic cat did give me a new sled and now currently have 2000miles on my RR . I hated the fox floats on this sled the coil overs are way better the fox evols are the best .

If in 2014 or 2015 they have a supercharger or turbo for 1500 dollars i will be buying two on for me and one for the wife . as long as yamaha does the warranty not arctic cat

The new cat chassis is unbelievable in deep snow it surprises me everyday i ride it what it can go through

I owned my Nytro for 5 seasons and have ridden an '11 Sno-Pro 600 race sled (predecessor to the Procross) and just recently, two Proclimb 1100 turbos.

The ride and handling between the Cats and the Nytro is night and day better with the Cat. Back in '11 I finished an XC race and felt like a loser because guys I used to beat came in ahead of me (on Cats and other brands). I then asked to ride my buddy's Polaris Pro-R 600 and I was like "Wow!" Night and day better than my ill handling Nytro. I then asked to ride my other buddy's Sno-Pro (he won pro class that day) again "Wow!", night and day better. I couldn't believe how easy it was to ride fast through the bumps. They were very stable at high speed in the rough. That day I decided I was done with the Nytro and starting looking at other brands.

All it takes is one ride through the bumps on a trail you know well and you will see the other brands are way better in the ride and handling dept. Engines? That's another story but now Yamaha has corrected their flawed ways and offers a great chassis with their excellent engine and clutching. I want a Viper!

AKrider said:
I owned my Nytro for 5 seasons and have ridden an '11 Sno-Pro 600 race sled (predecessor to the Procross) and just recently, two Proclimb 1100 turbos.

The ride and handling between the Cats and the Nytro is night and day better with the Cat. Back in '11 I finished an XC race and felt like a loser because guys I used to beat came in ahead of me (on Cats and other brands). I then asked to ride my buddy's Polaris Pro-R 600 and I was like "Wow!" Night and day better than my ill handling Nytro. I then asked to ride my other buddy's Sno-Pro (he won pro class that day) again "Wow!", night and day better. I couldn't believe how easy it was to ride fast through the bumps. They were very stable at high speed in the rough. That day I decided I was done with the Nytro and starting looking at other brands.

All it takes is one ride through the bumps on a trail you know well and you will see the other brands are way better in the ride and handling dept. Engines? That's another story but now Yamaha has corrected their flawed ways and offers a great chassis with their excellent engine and clutching. I want a Viper!

Good points about the Nytro, that’s why I steered away from it in the first place to buy a rev, now a few years later I miss the nitro reliable engine as I’ve been having issues with my 800 ski-doo. I think the Yamacat is a perfect sled, amazing engine, and amazing chassis it just comes down to quality and fit and finish. If the Yamaha truly comes out looking like a Yamaha and holding together like a Yamaha it will be hard to beat for the higher end middle of the road power/trail sled. But will it be a contender with the 800Etec? No, not in power, maybe in handling on the trail. 600Etec, power forsure, handling again no, but close. It seems like the Yamaha and Cat guys already mix their brands but ski-doo and Polaris guys don’t. Make sense though, Cat does make fast fast sleds and great handling, always have, everything else is crap. Yamaha, well they are an engine manufacture as they always say that’s what they do best so this sled should be a prefect combo, guess we will find out next year if this is all true but I can see some polacs and doo guys jumping ship.

Back