• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Who has the hot setup to reduce driveline resistance?

Clearwater, Florida (ride in Michigan's U.P.)
Website
www.seniorhelpers.com
Hi Guys, I am looking to make it my mission this summer to reduce the driveline/track friction on my attak.

I am thinking of replacing wheels w/larger ones and fully clipping the track as starters...

I think this skid has way too much friction and needs help to roll smoother and rob less power from the track. any suggestions are much appreciated.

has anyone done this out there and what sizes and/or part numbers should i use for wheels and were you happy with the results...

anyone have a part no. for clips... do i have to cut windows on the ripsaw. if so how... My sled is up in mi and i am in fl so i have to plan my mods for vacations in the summer....

thanks for the help. ;)!

For larger wheel options alot of guys have been using the larger 135mm doo wheels on their skids. I've installed them on my Attak with the doo two bolt mounts and have had no problems. Also the wheels have removable 6205 bearings unlike the yami wheels. You should change the idler supports to the doo style to prevent the rails from twisting and breaking caused by the stress of the larger wheel size. The front rail tabs are already prone to breaking with the stock wheels so not a bad thing to do anyway. Here is a list of parts you will need.

135mm Doo wheels 503-1910-29 or 503-1908-02 either work
Supports 503-1903-89
M8x25 bolts 207-1825-44
Flange nuts 233-2814-14
reuse yami long bolt for top bolt

I recommend you change the front 2 idler supports and the rear 2 idler supports for extra strength. You won't need to change the middle supports because they have metal plates on both sides.

Long Track said:
For larger wheel options alot of guys have been using the larger 135mm doo wheels on their skids. I've installed them on my Attak with the doo two bolt mounts and have had no problems. Also the wheels have removable 6205 bearings unlike the yami wheels. You should change the idler supports to the doo style to prevent the rails from twisting and breaking caused by the stress of the larger wheel size. The front rail tabs are already prone to breaking with the stock wheels so not a bad thing to do anyway. Here is a list of parts you will need.

135mm Doo wheels 503-1910-29 or 503-1908-02 either work
Supports 503-1903-89
M8x25 bolts 207-1825-44
Flange nuts 233-2814-14
reuse yami long bolt for top bolt

I recommend you change the front 2 idler supports and the rear 2 idler supports for extra strength. You won't need to change the middle supports because they have metal plates on both sides.

sorry to sound dumb but without my sled in my garage I am lost... how many of each part no. ? do you just drill holes for the second bolts? Can you put larger real wheels on? I am assuming the doo wheels are just the idlers up front and in the middle...4 of them is that correct?

I suggest sticking with stock sized wheels. Going bigger, especially on the rear axle, will compromise clearances.

regarding cutting the windows... are you seriously asking that question? How do you think you're going to get the clips on without cutting out the windows?

LazyBastard said:
I suggest sticking with stock sized wheels. Going bigger, especially on the rear axle, will compromise clearances.

regarding cutting the windows... are you seriously asking that question? How do you think you're going to get the clips on without cutting out the windows?

My sled is stored in michigan and I live in Florida... I cant look at the track right now... Thats why i asked.... ;):D

I have the tools to clip it and have done them before but just replacements. I have never added new clips to a ripsaw.... and may not anyways as i hate the track.... i may go with a new track already fully clipped instead....

What do you like to cut them out with... dremel and twist bit or is there soemthing better..... ?

Early on (jan 06) I put on the Doo wheels and installed SLP wear pads and ran my track loose. The sled coasted a LOT further on decel. Hyfax wear is 1/10th as a bonus. You are on to somethin, eh? ;)! :rocks:

I am running the Yami acces spoke wheels with the Pioneer kit to lower the stock bogie wheels 2.5mm.
-Extros, Now i can run the track loose without ratcheting.
-8" rear wheels and and offset axle, The axle makes it so you have track adjustment w/ the larger wheels. It also moves the track adjustment to outside the rails. very easy to adjust track. The wheels will reduce the bend radius of the track which will help reduce rolling resistace. Also the larger wheels help to reduce the ballooning effect of the track at higher track speeds.

My 06 attack now rolls out of the trailer with out help. just point it down the ramp and off she goes. it did not do this before.
The sled will coast much longer than before. some times I have to use my brake comming into turns. I never did this before.
I have nearly NO HYFAX wear. The hyfaxes look as good now as they did when I put them on at the begining of this season.

The last plus I have found is i have NOT lost 1 track clip this season. NOT 1!!!!!
I have gone through 2 tracks before this. 1 was replaced by warranty the second was replaced by the 1.5" track I have now

Frogg

Back