• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Who's breaking in by the book?

Yamacat21

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
I tried to ride mine at 6000 rpm last night, not easy to do! Who is riding by the book and who is just riding like you stole it? Lol.

I'm just going to strap my new skis to my feet and run around the yard and pretend I have one that I ordered in March!

I'm going to try, but if I can't do it midweek B4 my buddies get up for the weekend I'm in trouble.

I figure it will be a 3-4 hour drive to get the first 100 miles in. The next 200 miles aren't as bad at 6-8 thousand RPM maybe 5-6 hours drive time.

One good thing is a friend picks up his 1100T pro cross this Saturday so I might get a break, but... His last sled is a 1998 ZRT he bought from D&D, an 800 with a 1107 kit that dyno'd at 240 HP naturally aspirated. I'm sure his trigger thumb is itching already.

When he brought it out to play with the current crop of CAT turbo's they would always go back to the trailer to drain and fill with race gas and pump up the Boost to beat him. I Loved to hit the gas at an 80 roll and lift the ski's as long as you held the throttle. Currently needs some engine work will probably end up with NOS when rebuilt.

When I get mine im going to try. It will be hard. I have never made it through the whole break in on one sled yet. so I dought ill make it on this one either. But ill try

I did 2 heat cycles with mine. Next time my sled was started and warmed up I had it up to 75 across our field. 70 miles on it now and it keeps getting faster every day. Everyone can bash that method if you want but this is a bullet proof engine with proper maintenance and the fastest ones are gonna be the ones that get rode the hardest. The last 40 miles I've put on my sled have been holding it WO for 1000 feet.

What book are you guys reading????????????

Mine says avoid "PEOLONGED" operation over 6000 rpm for teh first 100 miles
and 8000 rpm from 100 to 300 miles it does not say "do not do it" you need to
get the rpms up to create cylinder pressures to set the rings. If you run 100 miles
without reving you will lose the cylinder hatching and never set the rings.

It even says that for the 1st 300 miles avoid prolonged FULL THROTTLE runs due to intense
heat untill the walls are polished. This could cause overheating due to tolerances.

YamahaTim said:
When I get mine im going to try. It will be hard. I have never made it through the whole break in on one sled yet. so I dought ill make it on this one either. But ill try

Tim I saw you "BROKE IN" your Nytro :jump:

Lol...ya I know, but that was just one method. I think im going to try another one this time.

ride it like ya stole it!!!! just stay away from extended WOT for the first 50 to 100 miles.

I will try, but will surely exceed the rpm's few times!! ;) To seat the rings you dont have to rev it as hell. Just need to give load to the engine. And, I don't think yamaha procedure is wrong as they dont want to get warranties issues with theirs engines.

T'hat's not what I do with my racing engines! But for the longevity of the Yami's 4 stroke, I will try again to do the Yamaha procedure as I did with my Nytro, and will probably get a very powerful machine as it did.

Back