• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Who's using what oil?

buddah

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 Sidewinder B-TX LE
This is primarily for next season but I've been considering synthetic in my next one. Somebody that's using synthetic, what's the pros.......and cons that you've found?

On a side note, my 03 uses a little oil.......so I'm adding a little the other day and explaining to my houseguest (not RX-1 literate) that you don't overfill these things........so he says to me "Oh, the E is for ENOUGH, huh?" 8)

I'm running castrol syntec 5w50 in mine. I can't think of any pros or cons to it.. it doesn't start any differently than with any other oil that I've put in it. Mine usually uses a little oil when doing a lot of lake running. I'm hoping that with the higher molecular cohesion of the heavier oil, that this would cut down the oil loss a bit, but haven't yet had the opportunity to test this theory since I have discovered an oil LEAK due to chaincase explosion which threw off my experiment (its patched now).

This might seem like a silly question, but whats wrong with Yamalube?
I know that its not the same, but used Yamalube 2-S in my old Phazer and in my opinion thats one of the best oils there is. Low smoke, low odor, very inexpensive (I used to be able to get it for $17 a gallon) and it never left me stranded. ;)!
Cap'n

I went to the show today, the 06's are very nice sleds. I like the feel of them. While I was there I asked a service manager from a dealership about oil usuage in the 03's. Every word was measured and after talking with him for 20 minutes, he concluded that the reason I was using 1 quart in 200-300 miles was because I used Amsoil Synthetic. I told him that is probably one the best oil out there and that synthetic was superior to any other oil. My facts are that I broke it in just like the book. I changed to synthetic at 2,000 miles. I started using oil at 2,900 miles and I am using a quart every 200-300. I do not race. I do not run more than 100 miles an hour on the lake. I add oil when the light comes on. I think you have to be a rocket scientist to figure out the dipstick. I have checked oil after the light came on with the dipstick sitting in well, screwed down, when the engine is hot and cold. He said I was only of two people that he had heard of that had oil consumption issues. Any thoughts? He suggested that I go back to Yamaha's oil and that Yamaha did not agree with using Amsoil or anyone else's oil for that matter. I suggested that Yamaha doesn't like when you use other people's oil is because Yamaha does not make money when we do that. I want to keep the sled for a very long time, but I am using more oil than a 2 stroke. One of the reasons I bought the 4 stroke is not having to buy oil. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think its already been stated in another tread on here that the problem is in the rings..and the 05' do not have this problem at all to my understanding. I know a guy with an 03 who only uses Yama lube and his rx-1 uses oil too..The Mechanic at my dealer told me today he always uses brand name ..and that some synthetics are very slippery and you can develope leaks??? Another Mechanic I know says you need the special blend Yami lube because of additives for the starter to continue to work well ...so I'm :? :o| but I really would like to go with mobile one...lmao>> this has been a much debated issue on this site!

lube job

I only use the Yami lube in my '05. I did my first change after 500 miles. So, far I've put on another 1000 mi. and haven't had issues yet. My dad has an '03 and also uses the Yami. One time this year his light did go on and he had to add oil. I never did ask him how many miles he had put on since his last change. He doesn't care probably since the lucky bastard's getting an Apex. :Rockon:

I use Yamalube. Change oil and filter. I'll never benefit from spending extra money on oil. Even with the worst oil, the engine will outlast the chassis and I won't have the sled long enough to find out.

RX1 burning oil

Well I played with my thoughts long enough. I have caused my own problems with my 03. I have played with everything on it since buying it. Which I will never do again. If I want a faster sled I will buy a faster sled. Anyway, I finally had to go a little faster and put nitrous on it. Ran great for a couple days. Then it started blowing oil all over out the crankcase vent. I checked compression . 192,75,180,60. Pretty bad . Figuring I had smoked the compression rings ,I tore the engine down.I had some overheating issues the year before(took out a heat exchanger for one thing) and was using a quart of oil every 200 miles. But the sled seemed to run good. So I can not blame the nitrous completely. Anyway I decided to put in weisco forged nikasil coated pistons, and new rings. Cylinder walls were perfect, still had cross scrathes on them like new. Put first 3 pistons in all was normal. Put 4th in and it was somewhat loose. Micked the pistons all were perfect. Micked the cylinders and guess what 1and 3 were perfect. 2 was on the edge of Yamahas tolerances. 4 was out. Remember they were in perfect shape. This block came from the factory like this, I don't think they made just one like this. Anyway sled is off warrenty for 2 years I have had my hands into everthing so I have not wasted my breath with Yamaha but had to say something maybe for others burning oil to look at. We finished putting the motor together,so I could salvage some of the season, but motor is coming back out soon and block is being sent out to get matched to pistons. I am burning lots a oil now but power is up. Compression is still lower than it should be in those 2 cylinders. Well thats long enough for now.
Larry

That is very interesting RX136 and one that should be brought to Yamaha's attention.

I use Mobil1 10w 30 and no usage thus far.

Mobil 1 15W-50. 5700 miles. no problems! Change it once a season.
04 Warrior
;)!

YAMALUBE 5W-30 ON A TURBO WARRIOR (SINCE NEW). OVER 5000 MILES AND NO ISSUES WITH MOTOR. :4STroke:

Im not a fan of Amsoil. I used it in my Ford Ranger once, followed Amsoil's directions about when to change the oil (change the filter after 6 months and add a quart of oil, then change the oil and filter again after another 6 months).
After 1 year, I drained the oil and only got 4 quarts of oil out of my truck (my truck held 5 quarts). From that point onward, my truck had a really bad ticking noise to it and didnt get the same milage it got before I used Amsoil. Also, my truck had started to use a little oil.
I will NEVER again use any Amsoil products and I encourage everyone else to do the same.
Cap'n

Capt. did you sample the oil every six months as well? I am a big believer in Amsoil, not that I think they are better than everyone else, but how they go about their business. The only real way to tell if the oil needs attention is by sampling. The report that comes back is very detailed and thorough. I don't know when you used their products, but as of 5 years ago, they stressed that inorder to get the full benefit out of these products, you need to sample every 6 months. No other company that I know of suggests sampling.

Back