• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

why does the search engine suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treating ALL with respect is what makes this site great.

Other sites let and seem to like guys talking tough and running others down. Not on TY, we can agree or disagree all we want but insulting, demeaning -How does that help?

I am not a moderator just a long time member who does not want a good site lost. Thanks Mods

To me, it sounds like the OP was told by possibly a mod to use the search feature instead of re-asking a previous asked/answered question? :dunno:

Personally, I don't like the search feature either and usually use Google and have had far better luck with it.
The funny thing with Google is, 9 times out of 10, it gives me the answer I am looking for and it is from TY.

I know I must be doing the search wrong if people have success with it but I find Google a lot easier and quicker.

Not knocking anyone here, just my opinion and thoughts on this. ;)!

I promise not to post when i am angry again.
Can the search engine just combine the two options for searching? Or Make the default the other option.
Nobody told me to use the search but that is common on most forums to cut down on duplicate posts.For years I just have never had ANY luck with the search engine and got ticked off.

Happy new year

The easiest way I find to search for a topic on TY is to use google. Say your looking for a topic like reducing hyfax wear on yamaha nytro. I go to google and enter reducing hyfax wear on yamaha nytro + TY. And this will get you pretty much all the results from TY.

Agree the search engine doesn't find what I want and sometimes I have the title exactly right. I google it and use the site: ty4stroke.com in the advanced settings. Works awesome!

Blue Dave said:
Happy New Year guys!

I use the search function frequently and I have found it quite useful. One thing that I would like to suggest is a way to search only the topic title without searching the message text. It looks to me like the only two options are "Search topic title and message text" & "Search message text only"

I would like to see a third option "Search topic title only". If there is already a way to do this that I am missing please let me know. Thanks again to Mr. Sled and all of the moderators who work hard to make this the best sled forum on the internet IMHO.

I often use google to search as well. The above is all that needs to make the search tool more user friendly.

Happy New Year!

idahorider said:
I promise not to post when i am angry again.
Can the search engine just combine the two options for searching? Or Make the default the other option.
Nobody told me to use the search but that is common on most forums to cut down on duplicate posts.For years I just have never had ANY luck with the search engine and got ticked off.

Happy new year

Thanks for the promise. ;)!

The biggest problem we have with the TY4stroke forum is probably the age of the software. Which sounds like an easy fix, doesn't it? Well it does until you try and update the software after a number of code hacks (to get it to work the way you wanted to in the first place) and lose all the pictures. Unfortunately we have yet to find a work around or viable option so we are stuck with the status quo.

I will inquire with MrSled about changing the default button settings but my guess would be they aren't tweak able without going into the code.

For now it is what it is and its not going to change any time soon. Its the search engine that comes with this boards software, we did not invent the forum software and I dont think any of us can write code nor would it be legal to change it. Use it more often and try different methods I have always found what I was looking for. I know it helps a lot if you can remember who the author is and just search that members posts. If you find it frustrating dont take it out here we will not put up with it its that simple. You are welcome and encouraged to email phpbb the owners of this boards software and voice your complaints there not here.

It would be nice to upgrade to something like SMR from simple machines.

My opinion is you will have to upgrade at some point since nothing lasts forever. So the question will be should I do it now or later. PHPBB does not support HTML in posts or WYSIWYG post editor.
JMHO

Not bashing at all. I have a lot of respect for those volunteering to manage this site. I know just how much work it is.

I work in IT (20+ years) and I am seeing more and more software using the Google search engine or at least a Google like search engine. Like Ian said until we can get the software upgraded it is what it is. I also recommend that you simply use Google with the site: option or other keywords to direct your searches. Another benefit is that it cuts down on the overhead on this site.

As far as changing the defaults - for every person that would prefer a change to the default setting there will be another who wants it the other way. This is why there is the concept of User Customization. Off the top of my head I really don't know whether this particular option is user customizable or not.

Ian, if whoever is trying to migrate the data and photos wants any help just ping me. We can likely write a program to migrate / transform the data so we can get it into the new engine. Why software developers don't use industry standard databases I'll never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back