• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Wider Ski for my Viper!

Given the amount of "iron" underneath the ski with Snowtrackers, you would think that they would create more steering effort than the stock ski, but my experience has been that they actually lessen steering effort. How is the steering effort with Curves and Snowtrackers?

Actually I thought to myself.... what the hell am I doing!!! That’s a #*$&@ ton of iron underneath those skis.
But.... after installing and with a slight mod, they were FANTASTIC.

I noticed from the start that the curve ski was quite robust ( thickness wise) and nose heavy.
So I took a page out of Bergstrom and shimmed the rear saddle rubber with his thinnest shim that he provides which put the ski level when sled was fully on the ground.
Steering was very light IMO, sled held every line at above average speeds ect. Only time steering effort was increased was in the morning with that frozen groomed trail condition which any ski combo in that condition will feel harder to turn.
Also never darted, always cut its own groove.

Got my curves and semi aggressive trackers from Travis at BOP. At the time he was also very curious on that setup and wanted my feedback.

I'm running the Powder pros which replaced the 6" cat ski on my 14'. Roughly the same trail performance, which is good, and greatly improved Boondocking. A bit heavy on the steering but running "Bill's Spring" on the center shock helped that situation and also made the front quite a bit more playful off-trail. I had originally planned on Mohawks but found the Powder Pros on sale from cat dealer for 300$ and picked up a set of 6" carbides for 60$. Arctic cat had the Mohawk and Powder pros in kit form with a cat part number which come with skis/mounts/loops but you need to purchase your own carbides.

Actually I thought to myself.... what the hell am I doing!!! That’s a #*$&@ ton of iron underneath those skis.
But.... after installing and with a slight mod, they were FANTASTIC.

I noticed from the start that the curve ski was quite robust ( thickness wise) and nose heavy.
So I took a page out of Bergstrom and shimmed the rear saddle rubber with his thinnest shim that he provides which put the ski level when sled was fully on the ground.
Steering was very light IMO, sled held every line at above average speeds ect. Only time steering effort was increased was in the morning with that frozen groomed trail condition which any ski combo in that condition will feel harder to turn.
Also never darted, always cut its own groove.

Got my curves and semi aggressive trackers from Travis at BOP. At the time he was also very curious on that setup and wanted my feedback.
Sounds good, I may to try a set on my XTX! I have the Mohawks now and love them, but particularly on the "frozen groom trail" they require some muscle to turn. Unfortunately, Snowtracker does not appear to make carbides for the SLP skis; if they did, I would definitely go that route.

Sounds good, I may to try a set on my XTX! I have the Mohawks now and love them, but particularly on the "frozen groom trail" they require some muscle to turn. Unfortunately, Snowtracker does not appear to make carbides for the SLP skis; if they did, I would definitely go that route.
I put on a set of C&A Pro MTX with Woody's slim jim dualy carbides last year. I talked with Eddie from C&A PRO at Haydays, MTX was his suggestion for the Viper. Awesome set up zero darting on trails and great flotation when you get off trail. Also changed track to Backcountry X 1.75 lug track.

I have an old St of Simmons 12" mountain skis I was going to try just for fun they worked well on my turbo rx-1ton back in the day
Have you put the Simmons on yet?

I run the 14 stock ski with Cobra Carbides from Qualipieces. No issues crossing rail tracks or loading or unloading on the trailer ramp. I have a friend with Snow trackers, he loves the handling however he gets a bit concerned when about hanging up a ski now and then.
Nothing is perfect.
https://www.qualipieces.com/en-US/products

I got 2400 miles on my set up and enjoyed the on trail manners paired with snow studs double down 6 inch carbides... They float ok off trail. I believe they're 6.5 wide.

Back