• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

will I miss the power of RS nytro if I buy a phazer?

TrailxRider

Expert
I'm planning my budget to buy another sled next year. I'm keeping my RS Nytro and thinking about buying a Phazer for another sled for myself and also a guest sled assuming I like my RS Nytro more. If I were to ride the phazer coming from my RS nytro will I miss the extra power from the bigger engine? We don't ride lakes and mostly only groomed trails and fields.

Of course above 60 you will notice power difference.I think you should ride a Phazer.Handling is what you will notice more.Phazer requires a much more active rider but is fun once you get into it.

cannondale27 said:
Of course above 60 you will notice power difference.I think you should ride a Phazer.Handling is what you will notice more.Phazer requires a much more active rider but is fun once you get into it.

do you mean active rider by using body english to turn the sled? would this be a good sled for first time snowmobilers?

Active as in you have to be hanging WAY off the sled to get it to turn without rolling. If you are a sit down rider then the Phazer is probably not for you. If you ride quads or dirtbikes then you will love the sled! I would say this is NOT a beginner sled due to the handling. We were riding this weekend and it was warm and snow was real loose... going down the grade, every time I left of the throttle the sled would start to fishtail bad. I can see how people that are casual riders would roll this sled. I don't have an issue with the Phazer's handling... in fact, I wouldn't ride anything else! However, It makes me very nervous anytime I let someone else ride my sled as it handles different than any other snowmobile.

RedPhazer said:
Active as in you have to be hanging WAY off the sled to get it to turn without rolling. If you are a sit down rider then the Phazer is probably not for you. If you ride quads or dirtbikes then you will love the sled! I would say this is NOT a beginner sled due to the handling. We were riding this weekend and it was warm and snow was real loose... going down the grade, every time I left of the throttle the sled would start to fishtail bad. I can see how people that are casual riders would roll this sled. I don't have an issue with the Phazer's handling... in fact, I wouldn't ride anything else! However, It makes me very nervous anytime I let someone else ride my sled as it handles different than any other snowmobile.

Holy #*$&@ do I ever feel the same way !!!! Can I try out your sled dude ??? then all the nasty thoughts start the come.

Jeremy said:
RedPhazer said:

Holy poop do I ever feel the same way !!!! Can I try out your sled dude ??? then all the nasty thoughts start the come.

Same thing here, love the sled, but even good riders find a way to roll it even at low speeds.

I've put about 1200 miles on an 08 Phazer since buying it a couple of weeks ago. I bought it for my daughter and figured my wife could also ride it the few times a year we ride together. At this point I wouldn't want my wife or daughter to ride it.

This is a 20 something male sled only IMHO. I've seen lots of blue hairs and women riding Phazers on the trail and they are usually going about 20 mph. The power is about what you would expect from a 500cc sled...nothing more. There are many that have made claims that they keep up to 600cc 2 strokes until the top end in a drag race, but they are completely dillussional.

The advantage the Phazer has is its super cheap to buy used and 4 stroke reliable. It also jumps very well...except for the crappy rear shock (on my GT model anyway).

It is exactly what I expected it to be except for the very rough, loud engine. I really thought it would be smoother. It's rougher and louder at speed than any 2 stroke I've owned.

"This is a 20 something male sled only IMHO. I've seen lots of blue hairs and women riding Phazers on the trail and they are usually going about 20 mph."

I agree with madthumper's statement completely. I've never rolled my sled and I have absolutely no issues with the handling. You just have to know how to handle the beast! This is the first sled I've owned, but coming from riding motocross I'm completely comfortable on it. I would also say that riding a Phazer takes about 10 times more effort to go fast! You really need to use your body weight to counteract the high center of gravity. In the tight trails or big bumps, I would feel confident in saying I can ride my Phazer faster than most other sleds out there. Once the trails open up a little bit then it is a wash. Once things get above 60MPH forget it, they are gone! Don't even mention riding the Phazer on the grade... I bought the 4 year extended YES warranty so that when I go out and hold it wide open for a half hour and it blows it's not on my dime.

All in all, for the way I ride the Phazer is perfect. The only other sled I might consider would be the new 500 cat. I know it sounds like I'm bagging on the Phazer, but I'm not... you just have to understand what you are getting with the Phazer. I would recommend to everyone to go ride one! You are either going to love it or hate it, but you will never know until you try it!

so the handling issue is more than just the sucky Yamaha skis?

The reason I started this topic is because I'm the only one in my family who rides (I'm 28) and I'd like to get some of my family into it. My brothers (22 and 25) want too go riding but can't a ford a sled and probably wont be able to for years due to buying a house and getting married soon and the other brother is figureing out what he wants to do with his life and is in college. I figured I'd buy myself another sled and if I like it more than my RS sled I'd ride that and use my RS sled as a guest sled or vice verse but either way I'd need both sleds to be very good for beginner riders.

My RS Nytro is dialed in now with all the mods I did and very quick. I thought a Phazer would be good due to a smaller engine, lighter handling sled and lower $ making it not as dangerous compared to top speed heavier sleds and also be easier handling but its starting to sound like its almost the opposite.

I've heard a lot of people say how much fun the Phazer is but I don't know much about them. If I bought the rough trail Phazer with the Fox floats and put a thicker stabilizer bar and lower the Floats to about 55 psi does that get rid of the tippy feeling?....this worked on my Nytro.

Cannondale may be able to answer this for you... it might help to some extent? But IMO short of getting the sled MUCH lower to the ground, I would think it would still be fairly tippy.

As designed the Phazer is a big bump sled with crummy shocks.Once shocks are figured out you wont find a funner sled in the bumps very light feel,balanced and easy to control.To control it you do have to ride it with your body hanging off to counteract the high C.G. for corners.Can you make it work as a sitdown sled?Somewhat.But not as easy as your sled and there are better cornering sleds than yours.As far as power I am one of those claiming to run with 600's up to top end.Maybe my track is difference but I have done it time and time again.Its plenty fast but is a handful in the corners especially if smooth and fast.For me its made me safer.I judge the corners way better than before to have correct entry speed.If I am going to fast I know I better get off the seat to make it.Then I come out of corner hard.Everyone who has ridden dirtbikes or even streetbikes loves my Phazer.Those who havent want off quickly.I agree if driven real slow none of this is a issue.

Its tippy, but once you get use to the "tipping point" it a VERY FUN sled to ride. As far as "As fast at a 600 2 smoke until top end" I would agree with that point if they mean 50-60mph. 0-60 on the speedo my MTX has made a few 600's look silly then they pull past me pretty quick. So far I've only run a 2002 MXZ 600, Summit 670, SX700R, and Rev 500ss and walked all of them to 60mph. I've had more fun on this sled in the short 500 miles I've put on it than I ever had on my SX600R and SRX600 I've owned.

I agree with most of the statements above, but will say that adding the schmidt bros sway bar makes a huge difference in cornering and side hilling. Lowering the sled will help too. What ever you do this is not a lazy mans sled. FYI I'm completely confident in my 12 year old son piloting mine, he does have dirt bike and quad experience though. They are a blast for trail riding, but a whole different animal than a "conventional" (read firecat, apex, pro x) sled.

Back