• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Winder gurgle help needed.

kkraus

Expert
OK this is going to be a weird one to explain. I owned my winder since new currently 10000 miles 2017 LTX-LE . I always thought it was normal till I rode my buddies 17 winder. While riding in the midrange and letting off the throttle I hear a little gurgle - micro backfire may be another way to say it but never thought nothing of it, it's not super noticeable unless you listen for it and doesn't do it 100% of the time. I replaced plugs at 8300 and it has always done it before and after the plug change. Like I said never gave it a thought untill I swapped with my buddy and rode his. Wow his was perfect no gurgle whatsoever. I asked him if he noticed my gurgle and he did not. Now I am on a mission to find what may be causing this. I am getting 11.9 MPG and he is getting much better when we ride together, I do have 40 pounds on him though. Now I am wondering if this may be contributing to my milage issue. Here is my set up so to speak. Any ideas on where to start looking? I read allot about Turbo Leaks. What are symptoms of Turbo leaks? Is this one of them? I tightened all my hoses but didn't do a leak test as I do not have a tester. This site rocks and I appreciate the professional advice on this site.

Stock no tune, no issues
New Primary and secondary rollers.
Heavy hitters.
Orange TPI primary and secondary springs.
Not blowing belts
All maintenance done. filter cleaned, tightened all turbo hoses
Hit 111MPH on a straight run this last weekend and was still pulling.

One thing to check would be the two exhaust clamps before the turbo. I throw a socket on them and snug them up once or twice a year.

Sounds like boost leak(s)? Is blow-off valve leaking intermittently?

Thats what I am leaning towards. So I assume that is one of the symptoms? Is there a better aftermarket blow off valve? Thanks.

I'll get a vacuum tester and test it. Sled is at the cabin. thanks!

Last edited:
The gurgle your hearing may be the cooling that is supplied to the turbo for cooling when the turbo is hot and it is in effect cooling it as it was designed to do.. You have very good hearing cause most don’t hear this until machine is shut off and everything is quiet.. and thats what it is sounds like a gurgle.. This designed into the system so you don’t t have to worry about shutting down a hot turbo cause it keeps circulating until its cooled off some…

I’ve changed the thermostat on two of them now doing the same thing. It fixed both.

But you really should address the water pump impeller. I had a nytro come in years ago that would intermittently over heat and it was the impeller spinning.

Also these sleds are awful for air locking especially if there’s coolant leaks on the turbo. Jack the machine way up in the front and burp it

Could just be a rich spot that you only hear when it’s a certain temp outside and your throttle is just in the right spot for a fraction of a second? Just throwing ideas out. To me what you described could be a slight rich spot. Any chance your buddies sled you rode and didn’t hear this was tuned?

The gurgle your hearing may be the cooling that is supplied to the turbo for cooling when the turbo is hot and it is in effect cooling it as it was designed to do.. You have very good hearing cause most don’t hear this until machine is shut off and everything is quiet.. and thats what it is sounds like a gurgle.. This designed into the system so you don’t t have to worry about shutting down a hot turbo cause it keeps circulating until its cooled off some…

I don't think its the convection cooling system as that really only comes into play when circulation stops. When you shut down, residual heats builds up and 'boils' the coolant, the phase change from liquid (non compressible) to gas (compressible) is what powers the cooling.

Backfiring in in the exhaust sounds like popping and burbles. It is a very distinctive noise. It only happens off throttle when the engine is a bit rich, and that rich mixture mixes with fresh oxygen being pulled into the exhaust and igniting. Any extra oxygen entering your system can cause this. All it takes is a hot spot in the exhaust to ignite the extra fuel. You could swap exhausts with your buddy and see if it goes away. If your exhaust has a hotspot caused by carbon buildup on an exposed edge (internal metal damage) or simply carbon buildup this can happen. On some engines they are designed this way.

Other sounds are turbo flutter

On our machines this would be caused by the blow off valve not working (stuck) or not being plumbed properly (no vacuum from manifold).

Could just be a rich spot that you only hear when it’s a certain temp outside and your throttle is just in the right spot for a fraction of a second? Just throwing ideas out. To me what you described could be a slight rich spot. Any chance your buddies sled you rode and didn’t hear this was tuned?
If the sound your hearing could be also described as a sort of cackle. I would say it’s a rich spot kinda mini backfires I’ve hear
that on my wife’s stock machine
A tune and muffler will make it go away lol

Back