• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Windshield replacement

stitch

Lifetime Member
Website
www.threadworksplus.com
Not sure if this goes here or in the tech section but I have an issue when I tried to replace the low stock windshield with a mid rise Yamaha shield.

The contours of the new, taller windshield does not seem to allow for easy nylon screw replacement. I keep snapping the screws closest to the hand grips.

Any shop guys know how to do this correctly or am I missing something? What am I doing wrong in the replacement process?

I did try a heat gun to relax the "plastic" but it resulted in the necessity to purchase a second new windshield. :-(

stitch said:
Not sure if this goes here or in the tech section but I have an issue when I tried to replace the low stock windshield with a mid rise Yamaha shield.

The contours of the new, taller windshield does not seem to allow for easy nylon screw replacement. I keep snapping the screws closest to the hand grips.

Any shop guys know how to do this correctly or am I missing something? What am I doing wrong in the replacement process?

I did try a heat gun to relax the "plastic" but it resulted in the necessity to purchase a second new windshield. :-(

You say Yamaha shield so I assume it is an OEM shield and not aftermarket?
My only guess would be they sold you the wrong shield for you application?

Based on the packaging, it's the Yamaha OEM shield number listed on the website and in the local shop Yamaha catalog for an 09 Apex.

Does anyone know if the shield shape changed from 07 or 08 to '09?

This has me baffled as my shop does not have any in stock to compare.

Looks like it may be a listing issue with the online purchases I made. I should have let the shop do this but tried to save a buck or two.

I appreciate the response from the forum members.

hmmmm....thanks. I was just wondering on the similarity. Must be me making the errors.

I have been researching the net and looking closely at all the photos with a mid rise windshield and they all look just like the ones I have.

I will keep working on it. At first it was for cold hands but now I want to install the new shield because at 60+ mph, the wind blast hits me chest high and wants to push my helmet and included back. Kinda an uncomfortable feeling.

Back