• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

WRP +2 Apex seat kit review

Interesting thread. I am considering getting a new seat for my Apex XTX. The additional 2" would make a world of a difference because of the high mileage I put on and the hip to knee height. Are there any other aftermarket seat manufacturers? Maybe I should just take the seat to an upholsterer and get them to install the extra height with a new sitting patch on the original seat cover.

I think BOSS is the only other aftermarket seat company but they don't make one for my Vector. Will probably go George's route and take the seat to an upholstery shop in the offseason.

I think BOSS is the only other aftermarket seat company but they don't make one for my Vector. Will probably go George's route and take the seat to an upholstery shop in the offseason.

I had a MountainMod seat for my 05 Vector, expensive, but high quality. I loved the firmness of the foam. My WRP seat on my Apex seems soft too, definitely taller though and at half the price of the MountainMod seat, I'm satisfied with my purchase.

I had a MountainMod seat for my 05 Vector, expensive, but high quality. I loved the firmness of the foam. My WRP seat on my Apex seems soft too, definitely taller though and at half the price of the MountainMod seat, I'm satisfied with my purchase.

If I read their website correctly, MountainMod is no longer making seats.

Maybe WRP will start offering foam that's firmer? Will have to ping them about it.

Got the replacement foam from WRP and as I feared it feels about the same as the foam that is my seat now. Upon closer inspection of the construction of the seat, I think I see what the problem is. In addition to the styrofoam block that sits loose at the base of the new seat, there is a hard styrofoam layer built into the piece of cushioned seat foam as well so all together there is only a couple inches of foam on top of several layers of hard styrofoam. This is where much of the extra height is coming from. This would work fine if the foam used then was super firm but it is not. The stock seat is firm foam all the way through but of course not as tall.

Either after my next trip up north this week or in this upcoming offseason I am going back to my upholsterer and seeing if he can play frankenstein with the seat foam and replace the part you sit on with a similarly contoured but much firmer piece of foam. Hopefully this will be doable and won't be too expensive, I'm not crazy about going into this seat for another $150 at least when I'm already into it for $350 (seat plus upholsterer fee). I'll continue updating this thread with any news.

I'm wondering that myself. I'll be up in the Keweenaw this week and will keep my eyes open for other wrp seats and maybe compare with a newer one.

Very important update - finally had some time over the last two weeks to take the seat back to my upholsterer with the second foam that WRP sent me. If the new foam wasn't significantly stiffer than the old, he was going to cut the top two inches off of the seat area and add stiff foam and contour it properly. He said the new foam felt a little stiffer but agreed with me that it is really hard to tell for sure until the cover is off and you can compare them directly.

Once he got the seat cover off and was able to compare the foams he was able to determine for sure that the new foam is indeed significantly stiffer than the old. He then just swapped the foams and did not modify the new foam piece. I got the seat back today and it feels 100% better, I feel that I'm going to be happy with it now.

Moral of the story is everyone who has had their seat a while and thinks it is too soft, you probably got a bad foam from WRP as I did so you should contact them and have them send you a new foam piece. The first foam piece they sent me was definitely bad. WRP sent me the new foam pretty quickly at no charge so I have no complaints there, just sucks I had to have my upholsterer cover the seat twice as it cost me $80 each time.

I hope to get a ride in this weekend on the new foam and will report back, but I think I'm finally really going to love the new seat!!!

I have also informed WRP of this issue, as when I asked about it they told me they have not had any complaints from anyone on the seats. I find that hard to believe but they have heard one now so no one else should hear that from them anymore. I thought I remembered someone on HCS commenting about a bad batch of soft foam on these seats but I can't seem to find that thread right now.

Final update after some riding this past weekend, seat is finally perfect now with the replacement foam and exactly how I expected/wanted it to be the first time around. I'm completely happy and encourage anyone interested in a taller firmer seat to go this route.

i just had a problem with one of the zippers on the seat. I sent them a few pictures they are sending me a new one. I love my seet no problems with it being to soft.

Back