• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XP vs Nytro

Another thing to consider before you get the xp is the new 800 etec belt is a $150 belt. Some people say they get good miles out of them, others say they didn't. I could get yamha belts for $65! so that kinda sucks.

If I have the money I'm planning on floating mine. This will keep the temps on the clutches down so hopefully I can get a full year out of a belt...but also will keep the temps down for the junk crank bearings, hopefully make them last as long as possible. But that is another $450 to float the clutch.

I spent a good chunk of change on some good vents too, to also help with this.

the secondary clutch in the ski-doo xp sleds is fixed and connected to the shaft that goes across to the chain case. So it has virtually no play in it for when the motor flexes in the mounts.

Its really stupid and a pain in the A$$.

But you can send you clutch and shaft so someone and he will separate them/float it so your clutch will move with your motor. And then you can also remove your secondary clutch easily like on a normal sled.

I have cleared this thread. We won't have this site turning into Amsnow or Dootalk.... if you guys can't keep it sivil we will not hesitate to remove this thread.

rxrider
TY Management Team

2008 Nytro RTX said:
Is this a common thing that is done?

Its pretty common, but a lot of guys also just shim the clutch to make the alignment better.

Its a lot like most things, some claim its not needed while others say it has to be done. I think the guys who ride the hardest are the ones who need it to keep the belts from blowing. While the guys who are less aggressive and more trail riders might not have the problem.

Or some guys just get lucky and get sleds with better alignment.

Would a dealer do this? If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for your XRS? Because I don't know if I want to get an XRS 600 Etec or 800 etec or an X 600 or 800 etec.

So anyways what were we talking about again...oh yeah.

Both the Nytro and XPs are cool sleds. Both have strengths and weaknesses, one sled might be right for one guys and another sled might be right for another. I wish I had the money to have one of each in the garage.

Sledding would be pretty boring if we all rode the same sled. ;)!

2008 Nytro RTX said:
Would a dealer do this? If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for your XRS? Because I don't know if I want to get an XRS 600 Etec or 800 etec or an X 600 or 800 etec.

$12,1xx out the door. Plus I'll buy the extended warranty when I pick it up.

There is only 2 places to get a floated secondary that I know of. Team Industries I think is one, and the other is doodoctor. You're dealer wouldn't do that. But your dealer should make sure it is aligned, not sure about the shimming and stuff.

You won't have to worry about it if you get the 600 since its a non issue with the 600. XRS or X package...if your rtx was plenty stiff I would just get the X package. If you wanted stiffer suspension than your rtx then go for the xrs. X package will have a little more top end also.

This is stuff I've just figured out over the last 7 months, doing research and reading.

You shouldn't be able to buy a 2011 X package sled from your dealer. They are only supposed to be snow checked in the spring. That's Doo's incentive to get you to buy a new sled when the snow is melting.

IMO, I wouldn't go back to a 600. I know the Nytro is a 600 class sled, but it shouldn't be pull wise. On regular trail riding, the 600 will have plenty of pull corner to corner, so you'll have to judge how you ride.

As far as the XRS package, a lot of non-snow cross and some people who think they are snow crossers but ride mainly trail, complain that the KYB40 shocks are too stiff for them. Those shocks are really meant for 25 foot jumps, not 3-6 foot I almost #$%&* myself kind of riders. Plus it adds almost $2000 to the sled. That's alot of clutching, studs, fuel programmers, riding gear, or what ever.

glockwise said:
You shouldn't be able to buy a 2011 X package sled from your dealer. They are only supposed to be snow checked in the spring. That's Doo's incentive to get you to buy a new sled when the snow is melting.

IMO, I wouldn't go back to a 600. I know the Nytro is a 600 class sled, but it shouldn't be pull wise. On regular trail riding, the 600 will have plenty of pull corner to corner, so you'll have to judge how you ride.

As far as the XRS package, a lot of non-snow cross and some people who think they are snow crossers but ride mainly trail, complain that the KYB40 shocks are too stiff for them. Those shocks are really meant for 25 foot jumps, not 3-6 foot I almost #$%&* myself kind of riders. Plus it adds almost $2000 to the sled. That's alot of clutching, studs, fuel programmers, riding gear, or what ever.
Yea,But they order those sleds under employees names so they can stock them. Last year my local dealer had 3 XRS sleds on the floor

My 2007 XRS wasn't a good trail sled at all. But I don't ride much for trails. The XP XRS' are toned down a bit and are supposed to be a much better trail sled but still more then most guys need. If you are a trail rider an XRS is a waist of money. The X is a better trail sled.

If you spend time building jumps, ditch banging and hitting the gravel pits then the XRS is right for you.

Back