• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XTX Limiter straps torn

Yes, well put Mach9. Please keep us informed of there solution. They want to replace some parts on mine but nothing in the way of anything different. You tell me why I would go through all that with no changes? They want me to put the stock straps back on. Why? so I can worry about them tearing during the long ride, My fix (Doubling up the straps) is holding up and I now have 1100 miles on. The season is too short to have to keep dropping it off at the dealer. I want a better solution before I bring it back and waste my time with a repair that doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Make sense?

I just looked at mine and the belt loop bracket thing that the strap goes thru is more to the front. Could the shaft be rotated or flipped around? For us that shortened the strap one hole, I wonder if another hole could be drilled in the strap closer to the shaft and another bolt and washers be installed?

I looked under my buddies 09 skidoo renegade and they only put one strap on one side of the front skid. This shouldn't even be an issue on our Yamahas. rhoag, my opinion is the more holes you drill in the straps the weaker they are. But doing that would tighten the strap on the shaft and not make is rotate as easy. give it a try.

Reading this with great interest since my 08 Venture GT has just wasted two limiter straps in 1300 miles. This may sound Ghetto but, what about a rubber bungee strap hooked to the right side somewhere behind the limiters, run around the front of the limiter straps and hooked somewhere on the left side? This would keep the straps from folding forward when the suspension is compressed. Just an idea. :bling

I suggest you should pull the rear suspension, run it through it's range of motion, identify what's happening, and address it. That's what I did on my XTX and the problem is solved. Yamaha knows what I did and they're very interested in the issue, contrary to popular belief.

Stewart

stewartb said:
I suggest you should pull the rear suspension, run it through it's range of motion, identify what's happening, and address it. That's what I did on my XTX and the problem is solved. Yamaha knows what I did and they're very interested in the issue, contrary to popular belief.

Stewart

Ditto on that...!
Yamaha has seen mine.
And they have heard my comments.
But there is not an "easy button" fix here.
This is going to take awhile.
Time to let Yamaha work out a plan.

Pull your chassis and do a temp. fix so you can ride.
Snow will be gone soon enough.

I still like idea of the extra strap added onto the front side of the straps. (through the existing bolts).
Thus making the strap thicker and less prone to flex, rotate or twist.

For those who have gone down one hole.
I think drilling another hole to get the loop tighter around the top shaft.
(figgin as tight as possible) May also be a plan here depening on the new hole placement.

One other thing for the bottom shaft issue.
Maybe add some marginal snow wheels at the front.
This could help keep the track further away from the bottom shaft and lugs as the sliders wear.

I will not comment again while I wait for Yamaha to work on this.

I suggest that Yamaha pulls their head out of their @$$ and fixes this issue. One of the reasons most of us buy new machines @ approximately $10,000.00 is so we don't need to wrench on them and fix such problems. I know that I have been very patient and also taking all the good with the bad on this such model of snowmobile. One of the reasons I came over to the four stoke side was to have a machine that would run for a very long time without worrying about if the engine is going to last another season. If I new I was going to have to deal with issues like : ice build-up in the tunnel, hand warmers that don't work well at all, crappy skis, the list goes on, I may have still been ok with buying 2 stroke oil.

I know that many of you are reading this and are saying...sell it then. Well the bottom line is I want to like it allot more than I do, Take my wife’s Vector for example, she loves it. That machine is all of a great trail sled that someone would want at that level. All I'm trying to say is Yamaha should try and work out all the bugs before they mass produce something.

As I look back at what I've had for a history of snowmobiles that I have purchased brand new myself over the years, 98 ZL 500,99MXZ 600, 00MXZ 700, 01Edge X 600, 02 Edge 600, 03 F5, 05 F6 Snow Pro and the only issue, seriously, the only issue I had was the speedo sensor in the diamond drive of the 05 F6 was replaced. Now, was I just lucky with that many different machines of different manufactures or are some of these issues on the Nytro just a little ridicules, hand warmers that hardly work. Come on! My 1980 Jag 2000 that my parents bought me would burn my palms. Here nearly 30 years later Yamaha can't even give us that.

I’ll get off my soap box now but whom are we kidding. I truly want to love this snowmobile but some of these minor issues need to be resolved sooner than later.

Signed…………..
Wis Sledder one who wants to love his Nytro

Wis Sledder I couldn't agree with you more! Take my advice and put a set of original 06 apex bars on for the handwarmer issue and you won't even have to turn them up past half way, direct plug in too. Too funny about the ice build up, I just installed a plate last night and sealed up the exhaust cover gap to the tunnel with some 1/4 window neopreme seal. Pretty sad when your buddies ask you what your sled is crying about. Like you said I like this sled and want to love it but I'm not going wait for yamaha to get there heads out there arse either. The season is too short, they can have it all summer if they want. Ride on!

Guys I think the problem with the straps is that the sled is not set up right .I to had a problem with my straps. I looked at my straps Friday, the washers on the top were all bent . when I got to Maine , I called a couple of dealers to find out if they had any straps that I could buy. they said they have not had any problems with this at all. and deal with lot's of Nytro XTX sleds .
they told me to tighten up my track and set the spring
so my sled would drop only 2 inch's with me on it I did that and rode all weekend on the same straps that were all tore up. no more damage to the straps.I am sure that was the problem.I will put new straps on when I can find some. :yam: Ps I have pics if you wan.t to see

Here is one of my straps on my nytro XTX after 800km. They were covered under warranty.

Attachments

• 01230001.JPG
    01230001.JPG
    215 KB · Views: 264
mrosenow said:
I just took a look at the 09 XTX I just bought on Friday. The straps on the bottom are cut in an hour glass shape. Sled was new, zero miles on it, gas in it the first time on 2/14/09.

I was not going to comment on this issue again but I felt it best to give you a heads up and the fix I am using which seems to be holding up.

FYI:
All stock straps have the hour glass cut out at the wrap around the bottom shaft.
This is purpose built to keep them narrow inside the track lugs.
As long as they stay tight around the bottom shaft they should fit and stay tight inside the plastic shaft covers.
Which also act as spacers to keep the bottom strap location stable.
The mounting point is tight with very little clearance.
There is the odd time something big like a rock or broken stud etc. may get in there and cut a lower strap mount location.
But this will be rare unless they were not installed correctly.

The biggest problem will almost always be at the top shaft wrap location.
Many guys are going with soft front shock preload to lower ride height.
This allows the front chassis area to close faster or more frequently.
(a good set up for trail riding stability in my opinion, although less grip under hard braking )
In turn this allows the straps to go slack often.
During slack conditions the straps will hit the track as it rotates.
Then straps are pulled up into the track and they are torn along with track (driver lug) damage.

I fixed this with an extra strap bolted onto the stock straps at each mounting hole. (kkraus idea as posted earlier)
Thus making a thicker strap and less chance for strap rotation at the top shaft.
So far so good... Still wondering what Yamaha's official fix will be for this issue. For the 2010 model xtx I'd like to see photos in there.

How about a fix Yamaha! Or maybe you should think about putting half of Ty 4 members on the payroll as field engineers since you seem to need us to help fix your problems.

Back