• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XTX Limiter straps torn

sprintcat said:
Hi I am new here. I am going to check mine tonight. one ? why can't i see the pictures you guys are talking about? you mention pictures but I don't see them . thanks. Paul

Viewing and uploading photos works after you have some history on the site. Try putting listing your location in your profile as per rules state.
Then read the FAQ for more info.
Cheers

Latest update………

My dealer is picking up my sled and Yamaha wants my dealer to take pics and overnight them the torn limiter straps. I think Yamaha is hoping for some reason I had a bad set of rails and that will solve the problem but this will not be the case. I’m sure they are just doing this to satisfy the dealer and hopefully they are looking at redesigning the cross shaft to relocate the straps further from the track lugs.

Thanks for the update, so far my extra strap fix is holding up great. they look like new after 400 miles on them. Like you I still think they have an issue though. Keep their findings coming. good info.

kkraus said:
That looks like a really awesome idea! Last night I made 2 new straps and added another strap to hopefully make it more rigid and not want to fold over in the lugs so easily. If this fails I will definetly try your idea. i'm sure Yamaha will deny there is a problem. Thanks again for the great idea.

I think "kkraus" has the better temp. fix here.
Bigger washers won't make much difference to close up the slack loop shape when you go down one hole on your straps.
I can only see this strap issue becoming a real problem as there will be track damage sooner or later.
It's just way too tight on top and bottom shafts for proper inner track lug clearance around these straps.
Yamaha won't be happy when xtx owners start asking for new tracks.

The issue is the rotation around the shaft. The better long-term fix would be to put the top connection's strap guide on the rear of the tube as opposed to on the front where it is now. That would solve the problem forever. I'd weld such guides but my washers solved my problem and this way I don't compromise the powder coating on the front arm. If you want to make a "Y" strap you'll need to remove the skid to verify the strap won't interfere with the shock through it's range of motion. I suspect it will.

I removed my skid, saw my problem in action, and fixed it. If I lower the limiters I'll use rectangular washers with short legs on the sides to keep them aligned on the strap. I can cut some from a square tube in about 2 minutes. It took longer than that to type this response. There's a lesson in there, I think.

As for the lugs wearing the straps at the bottom tube? The wear potential is limited by the depth of the potential contact. The bigger problem will be lug contact with the tube. I'm sure some of you are already getting that contact if you have worn hyfax. With the proper tools I could make an offset tube pretty easily, using the rail channels to maintain the tube in the proper position. Somebody in the aftermarket is making offset idler wheels. My idea for the tube attachment would be similar. If Yamaha doesn't address that problem I will, but it isn't critical yet. Translation? It hasn't affected my ability to ride yet. Again, you can't see the damage until you remove the skid. The good news is that the lower tube has plastic sleeves as spacers for the limiters. The first thing to go will be those spacers. Maybe you should rotate the spacers to see if the track's been touching them. Mine are good for now.

SB

If you want to make a "Y" strap you'll need to remove the skid to verify the strap won't interfere with the shock through it's range of motion. I suspect it will.

I don't see "kkraus's" temp fix as the "Y" strap but rather an extra strap on the front side. Thus making the strap thicker and have less tendancey to rotate or flex up into the upper track.

Although...
SB, I think you may be on the right track.
Yamaha should have a more complete trap over the top shaft.
Strap rotation would or should be reduced with that.
(not sure about strap flex still getting in there)

The thing that bugs me...
I told my dealer something was wrong when I had only 160kms on it.
I took it in and told the dealer that there was some grinding noise after I did some hard bottoming with the front of the skid.
As soon as it started the grind issue I threw it on my trailer and drove direct to the dealer.
They couldn't find anything and made me feel like I was wasting thier time. Basically gave me a lecture.
I told them OK then... I'll make sure it is really busted before I bring it back.
So now I'm making sure they have something to fix...

I did not have any issue with front strap on my 08 Nytro.
And I went down several holes during chassis testing.
So there is an obvious profile change in the front area.
Note the 09 XTX track is really tight along the top shaft.
Steel track giudes are all that could fit in there.
While the 08 had room for the nylon slider blocks up in there.

I just thawed out my skid and took a good look, my straps are ok but I can definetly see gouges in the drive lugs below the straps. Nice!

I was just looking at the XTX chassis photo compared to the 121"
I was thinking this might fix the issue.
(this is only a theory and not tested)

Move the bottom holding shaft from the rear location to the similar location of the 121" chassis.
See photo.

Attachments

• FxNytroXTX_suspension.jpg
    FxNytroXTX_suspension.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 261
limiter straps

I now have 1362 miles on my XTX and just had it in my garage to replace the slides and grease the suspension. I took a look at my front limiter straps to see if there was any wear or damage. The tops look great, with no visible damage, but on the bottom, the edges are being worn by the track lugs. Not bad, but worn.

I'm going to point this out to my dealer and see what they say or find out if they've heard of anything for a fix.

I picked up some new limiters today. Yamaha OEM parts. The strap has an hourglass-cut shape at what will be the bottom of the bottom tube connection. This cut shape will effectively make the limiters out of reach of the track lugs. I don't know whether my machines had the incorrect parts installed or if Yamaha has revised the straps as a result of the bottom tube contact, but the bottom strap wear issue appears to be solved. I'm pretty sure my original parts didn't have the hourglass cut.

Stewart

straps

my straps have an hour glass shape too. The track lugs wore mine down already. :)

wasn't the original conversation about the tops of the straps wearing, fraying or breaking? Mine look fine, but I haven't actually pulled my skid out to look, I just looked from underneath.

I was working on my skid on my RTX SE last night and noticed that my straps are in good shape.

What I also noticed was that the bottom crosshaft where the straps are affixed, there is a rubber sleeve covering the crosshaft. This seems to stop the spinning action of the limiter straps when I compressed the front arm.

Is there a rubber sleeve covering the lower crosshaft on the XTXs?

I will have to double check when I get home tonight but, I think my guides for the limiter strap on the top tube are facing the back of the sled?? I shortened my strap by one hole, installed fender washers, and reversed bolts the other day. I did see some very minor wear on one strap and I have 630 miles on. Maybe the tubes are put on reversed by mistake on some sleds?? Will have to take a look.

stewartb said:
The issue is the rotation around the shaft. The better long-term fix would be to put the top connection's strap guide on the rear of the tube as opposed to on the front where it is now. That would solve the problem forever. I'd weld such guides but my washers solved my problem and this way I don't compromise the powder coating on the front arm. If you want to make a "Y" strap you'll need to remove the skid to verify the strap won't interfere with the shock through it's range of motion. I suspect it will.

SB

Re: straps

NytroXTX said:
my straps have an hour glass shape too. The track lugs wore mine down already. :)

wasn't the original conversation about the tops of the straps wearing, fraying or breaking? Mine look fine, but I haven't actually pulled my skid out to look, I just looked from underneath.

This topic turned into an issue for XTX straps top and bottom.
There are 2 design flaws here at play.

I don't think an hour glass strap at the bottom would completely solve a design flaw issue.
The straps could over time move side to side across the length of the bottom shaft.
If that happends the straps will wear when lugs hit the strap.
The bottom shaft should be moved higher up maybe forward or straps attached at a higher point on a shaft bracket etc.

The top strap wear is an overall bigger issue.
Straps with the bolts and washers are being pulled up into the track lugs at the top. Grinding away at the inside track lugs.
This happens only under full slack strap conditions. (front chassis full compression)
A longer or more complete containment trap over the top shaft is required to stop the rotation of the strap around the shaft when fully slack.

It all happends when you ride over major stutter bumps.
On trails that the groomer didn't get to for a week.

It's a mess on my XTX and I have strap wear top and bottom and inner track lug damage to boot.

Waiting for Yamaha to make a call on this.
I hope they make a good one.

mach9 said:
NytroXTX said:

This topic turned into an issue for XTX straps top and bottom.
There are 2 design flaws here at play.

I don't think an hour glass strap at the bottom would completely solve a design flaw issue.
The straps could over time move side to side across the length of the bottom shaft.
If that happends the straps will wear when lugs hit the strap.
The bottom shaft should be moved higher up maybe forward or straps attached at a higher point on a shaft bracket etc.

The top strap wear is an overall bigger issue.
Straps with the bolts and washers are being pulled up into the track lugs at the top. Grinding away at the inside track lugs.
This happens only under full slack strap conditions. (front chassis full compression)
A longer or more complete containment trap over the top shaft is required to stop the rotation of the strap around the shaft when fully slack.

It all happends when you ride over major stutter bumps.
On trails that the groomer didn't get to for a week.

It's a mess on my XTX and I have strap wear top and bottom and inner track lug damage to boot.

Waiting for Yamaha to make a call on this.
I hope they make a good one.
Wow!!!!

Someone actually is looking at this issue the same way as me.

I am also guessing nobody is using the suspension to its full potential and that’s why this issue is far and few between.

Well said Mach9!!

Back