• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XTX Newb questions

opt8low

Website
www.opt8low.com
I am thinking about getting an XTX and have a couple of questions.

First of all, Are all the shocks rebuildable, and has anyone heard of having trouble with bending or hooking stuff with the swaybar?

Also, with the new frontend are people bending the sub-frame like the 08's, and is the handling that much of an inprovement. Do you have a lot of darting also.

I am in the market for a new sled and really don't want to have to fix a thousand little things to get the sled were i like to ride it. If I want to do that I will keep my REV.

Thanks in advance,

Dana

Well they did reinforce the subframe but I stil bent mine when I hit a stump. However the subframe is not that bad as the a arm is what is really messed up. Chalk that one up to hitting an un movable object.

The only time I have any darting is when I get in someone else tracks, It is particulary bad following a swtich back. Other then that there is considerable less darting then a REV 800. The darting is really insignificant compared to other machines I have driven.

Sway bar is a possibility I guess, but where you planning on driving it. It is not a quad. Saying that, I push a lot of bush and had nto have any issues.

I believe the shocks are rebiuldable by the looks of it.

The biggest thing is setting up the suspension. I have my front set up well and it is very stable and has very flat cornering at speed. Less body english to control as well. Still working on the rear though.

I really enjoy this sled, it is incredibly nimble, easy to maneuver and handles the bumps very well. I like it a lot better then the Rev Gade I used to drive.

The XTX does have alot of changes from the '08's but I would still recommend doing a few little free checks/ changes to improve things even more.
Reverse the ski rubbers and shim them, and check the ski alignment. Bergstrom bars would be a great investment as well.
My XTX was toed in 2" when I got it, and just by aligning it made a huge difference.

nate007 said:
The XTX does have alot of changes from the '08's but I would still recommend doing a few little free checks/ changes to improve things even more.
Reverse the ski rubbers and shim them, and check the ski alignment. Bergstrom bars would be a great investment as well.
My XTX was toed in 2" when I got it, and just by aligning it made a huge difference.

where did you exactly shim them? How much

The shims I have are pieces of a Bergstrom ski saver, but you can find anything plastic that measures approx 1" x 2" x 1/4" thick. Before you put the rubber back into the pocket of the ski after flipping it around (end for end, of course) you put that "shim" underneath the rubber BEHIND the pivot point/ ski attatchment point.
What this does is counterracts Yamahas tendency to have too much pressure on the front of the skis, and the rubber and the shim help put more force on the back of the spindle, forcing the front of the ski up.
You should be able to put your sled on flat pavement and when looking at the carbide, see the front of the carbide off the ground.
Does that make sence?

nate007 said:
The shims I have are pieces of a Bergstrom ski saver, but you can find anything plastic that measures approx 1" x 2" x 1/4" thick. Before you put the rubber back into the pocket of the ski after flipping it around (end for end, of course) you put that "shim" underneath the rubber BEHIND the pivot point/ ski attatchment point.
What this does is counterracts Yamahas tendency to have too much pressure on the front of the skis, and the rubber and the shim help put more force on the back of the spindle, forcing the front of the ski up.
You should be able to put your sled on flat pavement and when looking at the carbide, see the front of the carbide off the ground.
Does that make sence?

Great advice nate. Will look into doing this.

RR

Attachments

• GetAttachment4.jpg
    GetAttachment4.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 87
Nate is correct that is the correct way to fix your darting problems. two many people start messing with suspensions and making it worse.

yamaha17,
Please add your location to your profile, per site rules.
Thank you

Yes all shocks are rebuildable.

I dont run the stock skis, so darting has never been an issue. SLP pwder pros with 6" carbide work well. Make sure you always check the ski toe. About 3/8" toe out seems to work.

You can set this suspension up to do just about anything you want. Don't be afraid to start off with things very soft as the shocks are valved a little on the stiff side.

You can't really compare this sled to a rev. They will ride completely different. I came off a rev, that my son now rides. The Nytro motor is Awesome. The fit, finish, and reliablity of the Yamaha products are hard to beat.

Back