• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha Marginal Snow Condition Wheel sets??

Vincenthdfan

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Apex MTX
I just bought a couple of sets of the Yamaha Marginal Snow Condition wheel sets to install on my '06 Apex Mountain sled.

I want to combat accelerated wear on the hyfax on the front of the rails and where the rails tip up toward the rear.

Do these wheels at least touch the track and keep it from rubbing against the hyfax better than the larger diameter Yamaha idler wheels that everyone switches to larger Poo wheels?

Thanks,
Vince

I actually recommend ski scratchers before adding more wheels.......

JMO, but I think Yammi skids have enough wheels. In fact, some remove wheels and rely on scratchers instead.

How long have you owned you Mnt Apex? Try it out some before worrying about burning through Hyfax so fast.....

I think what many experience is quick initial wear, and then a lot of life out of Hyfax later on. I think 99% of people change their Hyfax earlier than they need to. they will last much, much longer than people think.

The sled is new to me, but the previous owner told me he just replced the hyfax for the third time before I bought it. It only has 2,100 miles on it!!

Thus the reason I want to nip this in the bud before wearing the new hyfax out. Im a big believer in preventative maintenance.

I was contemplating which type of scratcher to purchase in fact...

Ski Scratcher, Holz Scratcher to mount toward front of rails, or the other one made by an outfit in Canada that mounts to the very forward underneath area of the floor boards.

The floor board style looks like a pretty long reaching scratcher (read; fragile maybe?), but sure looks like it would provide a good spray pattern across the whole range of the rail, fore to aft.

Would the ski mounted ones accomplish the same type spray pattern ya think? :o|

Thanks,
Vince

On my Mnt Viper I use RSI rigid scratchers -- mounted on the rail. They work great.

On the Attak I use Slidekicks reverse compatible scratchers. They work fine. Not as good as the RSI, but not bad. If you have reverse, get these IMO.

I don't know about the ones that mount underneath the foot rails, never tried them. But I've used ski mounted ones and they did not work well for me.

Mike

I use Pioneers marginal snow wheel kit and have over 4,000 miles on my current hyfax with very minimal wear to them. But you're talking about an Apex MTX with a taller lug so scratchers may be what you need. I myself am doing a 151x15x2.25 track,rail,and tunnel extension right now so I may end up needing them also.

Hey Vincent:

I put the marginal snow wheels on my '07 Apex, they made a huge difference not only in saving the front of the sliders, but also in the cooling of the sled. Seems that track/slider drag was causing the motor to heat up, once I installed the wheels, the overheating stopped.

Make sure one of the sets are placed at the front, in front of the larger wheels, where the curve of the slider meets the track. The wheels stay in contact with the track all the time, and it has eliminated slider wear in this area of the slider. I only installed one set, it seems to have eliminated my problems.

Hope this helps. Wig

wigman1 said:
Hey Vincent:

I put the marginal snow wheels on my '07 Apex, they made a huge difference not only in saving the front of the sliders, but also in the cooling of the sled. Seems that track/slider drag was causing the motor to heat up, once I installed the wheels, the overheating stopped.

Make sure one of the sets are placed at the front, in front of the larger wheels, where the curve of the slider meets the track. The wheels stay in contact with the track all the time, and it has eliminated slider wear in this area of the slider. I only installed one set, it seems to have eliminated my problems.

Hope this helps. Wig

Thats exactly what I was hoping to hear! :Rockon:

I figure between going to 6 each larger Poo wheels (135mm)...two outside front, two inside front, two outside aft, and the marginal snow condition wheel kit in front, I oughtta have it covered.

If that doesnt solve it, I will also have the floor board/tub mounted ice scratchers!

Thanks everyone...keep your comments coming, I like suggestions/success stories.

Back