• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha Nytro rtx must have add ons?

Country
USA
Snowmobile
13 xtx nytro stage 1 turbo
I just joined the site and just bought my first yamaha. I bought a 2008 nytro rtx 40th annver. The sled is all stock and has 144 studs. I have been told about bad handling for the 2008. And should of bought a 2009. This was after I bought it of coarse!! I was wondering about schmidt bros front end fix where they machine the ball joints to give it 3 degrees of camber? I have not even rode the nytro yet but I have been riding polaris sleds for 15+ years and tired of rebuilding them!! Any help or ideas would be great!

iwillwait4u said:
I just joined the site and just bought my first yamaha. I bought a 2008 nytro rtx 40th annver. The sled is all stock and has 144 studs. I have been told about bad handling for the 2008. And should of bought a 2009. This was after I bought it of coarse!! I was wondering about schmidt bros front end fix where they machine the ball joints to give it 3 degrees of camber? I have not even rode the nytro yet but I have been riding polaris sleds for 15+ years and tired of rebuilding them!! Any help or ideas would be great!

I dont have an 08, but what i can tell you is that everything I have bought from Chris at Schmidt Bros has been top notch...and his knowledge and customer service is impeccable...im sure other people with '08's will chime in as well... :Rockon: :Rockon:

I did the ball joint fix to my 08 RTX anniversary before I rode it. If you keep the stock ski's turn the rubbers around, re-valve all 4 shocks and the sled will rip and turn just like you want.

iwillwait4u said:

Welcome to the site and congrats on your 08 RTX. I put C&A Trails X skis and shapers on from day one and that's the only thing ( handling wise ) I did to my sled that season and it was ok. Last year I did the ball joint mod and added the OFT relocator....major improvment over the first season. I haven't touched my limiter straps and it could probably be pulled one hole tighter to make it rail, but I'm fine with the way it corners as it is. One other thing you may want to consider is how you actually ride the sled...sit back and relax is not the way..it likes body english. I'm not saying you can't cruise on it, but the faster you go, more body english is required.

I never rode a 08 nytro, just my 09. But from everything I've heard the ball joint mod is a good improvement.

And I agree that if you want the sled to handle to its full potential revalve the shocks. Specifically the rears. It was a night and day difference in ride quality and handling after I had mine done. Should have done it before i even rode the sled.

Send the front shocks in for sure. That will make a huge difference in the twichyness and help to actually absorb the bump. They were very stiff, then once you reached the threshold, they just blow through the stroke, not a good combo. Ulmer's front end bushings for sure as well, they will last the life of the sled.

First things first.......Get the suspension set up and toe it out 1/4 or 1/2. Then go from there. All that is mentioned is very helpful and read the nytro section and you will pick up A LOT of information on this sled! :rocks: Good luck brother

I know guys tell you that you need to spend money and get everything fixed but I bought an 08 RTX last year as well prior to hearing about all the issue and to be honest I loved the sled. The sled likes to dart but I've ridden a viper that liked to do the same thing. If you can muscle through that it isnt a big deal. The only thing I am doing this summer is changing the bearings in the a-arms to Olite bearings. I noticed at the end of last year I had some slop in the a-arms so that is going to be my fix, and it's not on the expensive side which is a positive for me!

FX Nytro must Have

I dont want to hijack this post, but i was wondering what kind of revalve you guys did to the rear shocks? More sensitive/plush or stiffer valving. I have an 08 yellow RTX and I think the rear are Soqi (spelling). I'll be taking them off soon and taking them Bruce at pioneer. He did the fronts (Fox Floats) before last season and it was a night and day difference. Thankyou,
Dustin

Re: FX Nytro must Have

dstrikerd said:
I dont want to hijack this post, but i was wondering what kind of revalve you guys did to the rear shocks? More sensitive/plush or stiffer valving. I have an 08 yellow RTX and I think the rear are Soqi (spelling). I'll be taking them off soon and taking them Bruce at pioneer. He did the fronts (Fox Floats) before last season and it was a night and day difference. Thankyou,
Dustin

Stock valving is very stiff, but its a flat rate valve stack so it blows through the travel once you hit really hard. Which is not what you want.

What you want is a nice progressive valving, so it rides nice and soft in the stutter bumps, but gets good and stiff when you hit the big moguls and holes.

You won't have to explain any of this to Bruce at Pioneer. He'll know exactly what to do to your shocks. All you'll need to tell him is your weight, and your riding style.

Happen to have the same sled as you, thought I would throw in my two cents.

When I was in the process of purchasing my 08' it was already the 09' model year, and I happened to find mine brand new as a non-current model deal, the price was right, which led to my decision. One of the "sales pitches" that was given to me at that time for the 09' was the new front end and how differently it would handle.

I purchased my sled with only a month or two of riding left (end of January), so I didn't get a chance to adequately "test" it out so to speak (in terms of darting).

The following year, I was doing a lot of trail riding, and definitely noticed the darting right away. What I found was that the machine just wanted to pop up at the front end, and the factory ski's were never really planted, especially on turns.

The fix I came across was less about the suspension, and more so about the ski itself. The factory ski's were simply too small for the sled, and didn't offer enough footprint to hold anything on corners. I chose to purchase the 7" Powderhounds from SlyDog, and I could never go back.

I ran into the guys from SlyDog at Hay Days this past weekend, and they were great to talk to, just as easy to deal with when making purchases online. I would completely recommend their product for both the performance aspect, and aesthetic aspect of the skis.

So to make a long story short. It may not be the most "technical" fix for the darting, but it sure as hell makes a big difference on and off trail (I do about 40% on/60% off while riding).

Hope this helps,

Enjoy the sled!

B

Back