• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha original “single shot” experience

BIG BLACK WARRIOR

VIP Member
Have had a RX-1, and 3 different Apexes, the last being a 2011 Apex. Sold that and went to the Cat version of the Viper in 2015. Not enough power on that sled so bought a 2016 Polaris Switchback 800. Nice riding sled with good power, but recently blew her up for the third time, so decided to look for a decent used Apex. Just bought a 2016 Apex SE, with the single shot suspension. Have read bad reviews on that suspension on this site, but also looked at the reviews in the 2016 snowmobile magazines, which I had saved. Also looked at you tube reviews. the magazines and you tube reviews all said how great this single shot suspension was. After two 100+ mile rides, I have to say it is the worst suspension since my 1975 Yamaha GPX 433. So I just put in the updated single shot suspension, and it made a big difference. Not as good as my 2011 Apex Mega Shock, but close. What was Yamaha thinking when they came out with the original single shot suspension. What a piece of crap it is. I just threw it in the garbage. It also shows the snowmobile magazines and different you tube reviews are not honest. They must get kick backs from these manufacturers to say good things about different sleds.

mine is up for replacement on warenty as selling dealer told me in his opinion i did not need the up graded shock. after the ty ride on the weekend, hell yes i want the up graded one! spent 1/2 my time standing as it was too rough to stay sitting down.

Last edited:
Have had a RX-1, and 3 different Apexes, the last being a 2011 Apex. Sold that and went to the Cat version of the Viper in 2015. Not enough power on that sled so bought a 2016 Polaris Switchback 800. Nice riding sled with good power, but recently blew her up for the third time, so decided to look for a decent used Apex. Just bought a 2016 Apex SE, with the single shot suspension. Have read bad reviews on that suspension on this site, but also looked at the reviews in the 2016 snowmobile magazines, which I had saved. Also looked at you tube reviews. the magazines and you tube reviews all said how great this single shot suspension was. After two 100+ mile rides, I have to say it is the worst suspension since my 1975 Yamaha GPX 433. So I just put in the updated single shot suspension, and it made a big difference. Not as good as my 2011 Apex Mega Shock, but close. What was Yamaha thinking when they came out with the original single shot suspension. What a piece of crap it is. I just threw it in the garbage. It also shows the snowmobile magazines and different you tube reviews are not honest. They must get kick backs from these manufacturers to say good things about different sleds.

Yup, I too had a 2016 XTX.....the absolute worst riding POS I ever owned. Upgraded to the 2018 shock, much better.

I put the update shock in my 16 Apex last week. Wow what a difference. I’m also curious about some feedback on the Hygear.

Same here. Original shock might as well been a piece of 2x4. Updated shock 100 times better.

well update is on the way. thank you to yamaha canada as aparently they are telling dealers that the bullitin is done. cannot wait to get it in my hands for install.

Same here. Original shock might as well been a piece of 2x4. Updated shock 100 times better.

Perfect description! You guys are lucky. I bought 2 RS Vectors XTX. With the Singleshot. They won't do anything because I did not buy an Apex. I bought the first one because my Wife has MS. Wanted the power steering. Wanted the programmable throttle. She had road tested a 2012 Apex with EPS. It was way to much torque for her I rode it and agreed. Bought the second one because I blew up my modified Cat 2S on my first UP trip. I love these sleds the programmable throttle keeps my wife and sons from getting into trouble. They ride in the beginner mode. I ride in the touring mode. I rode the first one in the Sport mode 3 miles to the local bar for breakfast one morning. When I returned I told her that she would never need to ride it in any other mode than the beginner!

Lol..so true. My first ride I thought someone played a joke on me....removed the shock and replaced it with a piece of pipe. I literally stopped, layed on my side and looked to make sure there was a shock there. To my dismay, there was...if you want to call it that.

I almost bought a low mileage/like new '16 with the SS last year. After reading reviews like this I am so glad I opted for my '16 X-TX.

Back