• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha, there is a possibility of someone getting hurt with these SW primaries!

I ended up going to a Tapp clutch. I just didn't want to take any chances of aluminum stuck in my leg.
That was the #1 reason for me purchasing the TAPP clutch also

I put a power block clutch in this fall.A good friend of mine that I have been riding with for very long time has 12,000 miles on a turbo Viper with the power block clutch . it’s been flawless the whole time

The three cylinders harmonics are very hard on any of these clutches. IMO the three cylinder should go away and we need that sweet Apex engine back in play with its cushioned output shaft back in a good chassis. Never any issues with them.
Mike you were way out in front of this because I think I remember you saying that you put the RX-1 clutch in and you seem to really like it

Thunder Products, I will get on my phone later and send pictures of my SECONDARY that was cracking also, but caught in time. Dont know if you have seen many secondary clutches that have gone bad but I can show you one!

ANY chance the clutches are not balanced enough from the factory? Terry > any of the clutches that broke up balanced or possibly have a balance issue? Any thoughts on clutch balance on this? Hearing a lot of the Cat Team clutches are out by a bunch.. Are you seeing this on the Yamaha clutches?

I've been a yamaha fan my whole life. Motorcycles, atv's, and especially snowmobiles. There may have been issues along the way but I don't recall a safety issue of this level that went un checked. There's a few good clutch options out there. Set up an Apex clutch,, Tapp, powerblock, pro4, and I guess STM has beefed up there clutch to run on the three cyl.

Very Sad, The winder is a very fast powerful sled and is promoted from Yamaha as that, but when you pay 20 grand plus for this snowmobile you are paying for the bugs to be sorted out, and if any bugs do a rise you dam well want them fixed right pronto, not to be fallen on deaf ears as Thunder Products found out, owners of the Winders should not have to go searching for aftermarket parts or robbing parts from other sleds that will work to keep them on the trail with this sled, you do that with old used sleds not new or next to new 20 thousand dollar sleds even if your are running a tune, unbelievable, there must be somebody at Yamaha that is still old school and cares about their products, where is our buddy Jaret? maybe he could shed some light.

So what is the target redline for power ? Does the target rpm change with each different tune used ?
Not sure what you you mean by redline for power. The target for best power is high 8's. I'm wondering if some guys are maybe letting their RPMs climb over 9000 and possibly the harmonics are worse up there shortening clutch life.
I like to run mine mostly at 8500-8850, still pulls really strong too.

As on the dyno,where after the power peak, the H.P. falls off. Used to be the sweet spot was between max torque and max HP. So keep her at 9000 or under ?

Back