• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha, there is a possibility of someone getting hurt with these SW primaries!

As mentioned above, Team primaries crack on movable side down low by center roller bearing. Sounds like same situation as Winder, clutch is very thin down there. Because it's thin, it doesn't take heat very well so gets heat checked which leads to start of crack. Eventually, clutch blows apart with massive carnage and potential personal injury. See pics.
Damn.. Is that your foot Turboflash?

As mentioned above, Team primaries crack on movable side down low by center roller bearing. Sounds like same situation as Winder, clutch is very thin down there. Because it's thin, it doesn't take heat very well so gets heat checked which leads to start of crack. Eventually, clutch blows apart with massive carnage and potential personal injury. See pics.

I have plenty of these pics also, too gruesome to show here.

There was pictures from a man who had part of the sheave embedded in his forearm, I was not able to get that pic downloaded as FB took it down immediately. If anyone finds this pic, or knows who it is....send a pm.

Damn.. Is that your foot Turboflash?
Fortunately, no. I have compiled lots of pics of cracked/broken/exploded Team primaries which I included in my formal complaint to Consumer Products Safety Commission. I probably have 25 pics. The CPSC has launched an official investigation and I was recently notified they have now submitted a formal complaint to Arctic Cat. Arctic Cat is now REQUIRED to formally answer the CPSC. CPSC notified me they will be keeping me advised. IMO, it's NOT an acceptable solution to just replace a blown up clutch with the exact same clutch (that will also blow up!). Design modifications or a whole new product is required.
Time will tell. Cat is still replacing "older" Team primaries (for cracks) on sleds that are many years old. My buddy just got a new one for his 2017 TCat with 4200 miles under warranty. That tells me Cat KNOWS full well there is a huge problem.

We have forged pistons, cranks, camshafts right from the factory with 1970's clutches on these sleds.
Time for the manufacturers to step up.
I blew two primary clutches on a stock nytro.
Both times the spider broke and parts were contained in the clutch compartment.
The footwells and clutch covers need to be able to hold the flying parts. Even the side panels need to be stronger.

Typically groves in the arms and sheave faces come from riding in one range too long and most of the time. Say you ride at a consistent speed like say 60 MPH for miles on end.
thanks for this advise..I had no idea..will vary speed to keep things wearing properly.

I have replaced my clutch with a PB 80. I feel like I should change the secondary and just avoid this issue all together.am I being to reactionary or will the problem present itself in the secondary eventually as well

I believe the factory will never respond. the best way to limit liability is to deny or ignore an issue. It's lawyers. Until they decide they are going to lose more money in lawsuits, they won't acknowledge or remedy. Sad. JMO

I think the likelihood that a secondary failure would cause a serious injury is pretty low. Obviously it would suck if it ruined a trip, but so far it doesn't seem as widespread as the primary failures.
I for one am going to be replacing my secondary once the "new" ones are available. I have heard directly from the source that these "new" secondaries will be available soon.
I'm very interested in seeing what these look like and I know for sure it'll be a perfect match for my TAPP primary.

I have replaced my clutch with a PB 80. I feel like I should change the secondary and just avoid this issue all together.am I being to reactionary or will the problem present itself in the secondary eventually as well
Is this clutch on sidewinder with tune? Holding up?

The Yamaha stock secondary is fine. No worries there.

Who is making this new secondary ??? Yamaha
I believs Dave at powderlites, the makers of the TAPP, is working on something. It would have to be better than the STM or Pro-4 secondary's. Those I don't believe are any better than stock.

I think a large percentage of these clutch failures are cause by the crap bushings in stock rollers. If you look at more of the pics posted here or on FB where failures have occurred, the bushings are egg shaped. If the pin is in contact where the bushings is worn the weight will swing out passed the roller and go BOOM! At the very least, replace your stock rollers as soon as humanly possible with Thunder Products or STM rollers. Based on my experience, the stock rollers are good for about 800 miles with a tune before they are done. But, why risk it? Additionally, even if you had an older style Yamaha primary installed, if a weight flys out past the roller, it will be catastrophic. REPLACE YOUR ROLLERS!

I have compiled lots of pics of cracked/broken/exploded Team primaries which I included in my formal complaint to Consumer Products Safety Commission.

I would think this would be everyone's recourse for this issue which would force Yamaha to acknowledge there is a problem and issue a safety recall. They've done it for much lesser problems. All of you affected by this should report it to the Consumer Products Safety Commission in the US and Transport Canada.

If a recall can be issued for weak bolts on the passenger handles, I'm pretty sure they can for exploding clutches that can send shrapnel into your body.

Back