• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamalube or Amsoil?

Grimm said:
What's your reason for not choosing Amsoil tapex?

I have NEVER had good luck with their oil in past sleds, atvs, or pwc's. Same goes with 90% of my close friends. I use to be a dealer for amsoil until I started having problems. Also, in a test my old engine builder did, the amsoil ran away from heat! Where others were attracted to the heat!!

My personal opinion and my own preference.

tapex_07 said:
Grimm said:
What's your reason for not choosing Amsoil tapex?
in a test my old engine builder did, the amsoil ran away from heat! Where others were attracted to the heat!!

May be you could explain this further. How did the oil "run away from heat?" Your builder saw this happening? How? How did he demonstrate this happening? Please explain your findings so we all can stop using such a crappy oil!

BTW, I like most others use Amsoil in everything, and like others, have never experienced what you are explaining. In fact, my Tundra runs cooler with Amzoil.

Inquiring minds want to know how your prior engine builder witnessed such an occurence as Amsoil oil "running away from heat".......

;):D :jump: :jump: :jump:

Mike

I have nothing against Amsoil in fact I've used it here and there.
But here is what I know.

Run away from heat.
This usually occurs at high temperatures of the piston / rings.
The excessive heat results in rapid piston expansion and possible failure of the lubrication film.
This condition is called "runaway" surface ignition.
This can happen under sever conditions but likely with a lower quality oils.
Oil is suppose to be designed to pull heat away and the better quality oil is attracted to the hot metal surfaces to keep surfaces lubricated.

I find interesting is this part of the reply.

tapex_07 said:
I use to be a dealer for amsoil until I started having problems.

tapex_07 were you building some race motors when you were a dealer and how long ago was that?

If you have the proper oil your engine shouldn't heat up. The purpose of the oil is to lubricate and if it isn't lubricating properly it causes friction which causes heat which causes htermal breakdown of the rest of your lubricating oil which means engine failure. An amsoil dealer knows that the product is guaranteed and the company stands behind its product 100%. If you meet the manufacturer specs with thier oil and your engine fails because of thier oil failing, /they will replace your motor, Guaranteed! This has been thier stand since the begining and I do not know of any other company that gives that warranty in writing!?

mach9 said:
I have nothing against Amsoil in fact I've used it here and there.
But here is what I know.

Run away from heat.
This usually occurs at high temperatures of the piston / rings.
The excessive heat results in rapid piston expansion and possible failure of the lubrication film.
This condition is called "runaway" surface ignition.
This can happen under sever conditions but likely with a lower quality oils.
Oil is suppose to be designed to pull heat away and the better quality oil is attracted to the hot metal surfaces to keep surfaces lubricated.

I find interesting is this part of the reply.

tapex_07 said:
I use to be a dealer for amsoil until I started having problems.

tapex_07 were you building some race motors when you were a dealer and how long ago was that?

mach9: Are you explaining the condition of what runaway surface ignition is, or are you saying Amsoil oil causes such a condition? It seems like you are simply explaining the condition, if so, thank you!

Amzoil's film strength is some of the best out there, and testing after testing has shown this. I completely agree that cheaper oils out there with less film strength will dissolve/ break down and thus, the film of oil will fail the engine. Obviously fast moving metal on metal will break your engine parts quickly.

Look, most oils out there are good. Especially synthetic and semi-synthetics. The important thing is to read the rating of the oil. Oil companies will place those ratings right on the bottle if they received them. In fact, most oils are boughten from 2 or 3 oil manu's who make the stuff and then package it for different customers (you think Yamaha really makes Yamalube? No they don't. Used to be Citgo, not sure who makes it now), and those companies already had the oil rated before they even sold it bottled to Yamaha.

I believe Amsoil is really good oil. I like Mobil 1 also. But what I like about Amsoil for my 4 stroke Attak and ATV's is they make a specific oil for them. The 0w40 off road oil. It contains a good amount of zinc and other chemicals needed for these high reving engines. It also does not have "friction modifiers," which are good for your cars/trucks, but bad for your sleds. I've used Amzoil and Mobil 1 in my trucks in the past.

Super Sled, just and explaination.

I've been lucky enough to never have a burndown or a "runaway" condition happen in my lifetime.
I've used Amsoil and many other brands.
I suspect the only guys that see these types oil failures are engine builders for race application and punishing them dearly.
Maybe a few hopped up super and turbo guys will see this happen.

Put it this way...
If you add huge HP and don't apply adequate cooling to the system your oil may not be able to take the heat.
There is an operating range (window) for a reason.

Using Yamalube synthetic. Can't go wrong with what the manufacture specs. Some (or should I say a majority) of us will really never now what works best since we won't hang on to our sleds long enough to find out. If someone has high miles on their sled, be nice to know what they used.

GT03235 said:
i just did a filter and oil change on the nytro and phazer with mobil1 0/30 w fully synthetic time will tell. :Rockon:

Good choice IMO ;)!
(sorry, no outside links to other non sponsor sites)

amsoil all the way. i tested it lots it gets my stap of approval.

2 sleds,atvs,dirt bikes,streetbike,suv's car both trucks and my excavator have it and my parents trucks and car have it to. and u have to change it less = envor. friendly lol year 2 for my sled

dilligaf said:
Using Yamalube synthetic. Can't go wrong with what the manufacture specs. Some (or should I say a majority) of us will really never now what works best since we won't hang on to our sleds long enough to find out. If someone has high miles on their sled, be nice to know what they used.

A sled in my group has somewhere around 15000-20000 kms running castrol syntec...the 5w-30 energy conserving stuff I believe...convinced me so I am running the 0w-30 non energy conserving syntec made in Germany.

Back