• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yet another chaincase problem thread

SidewinderConvert

4-Stroke Rookie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'18 Sidewinder XTX-SE
Ripped into the chain case today to check the top gear, after just 1285 miles (total on the sled) the bushing was completely shot. The real problem is the chain case cover shows pretty significant scoring from what appears to have been the reverse chain rubbing.

EITOiVq.jpg

2HJ0Fdh.jpg

cOx0XBP.jpg

1. Is the rubbed chain case a problem? It seems to have worn kinda close to the sight glass.
2. What manner of foolishness could have caused this?

Last edited:

Not normal, is your snap ring on the driveshaft to hold the gear on ? Also check the reverse shaft see if it's bent, pull it out of case to check it

Not normal, is your snap ring on the driveshaft to hold the gear on ? Also check the reverse shaft see if it's bent, pull it out of case to check it

The snap ring was on the driveshaft when I pulled the case apart, will pull the reverse shaft to check it.

Just pulled the shaft, visibly bent. Does anyone know what would have caused the shaft to bend like that?

Once again building my confidence in the guy who had this sled before me... The list just keeps growing, I have never had to put so much work into a machine that I have only ridden for 10 miles. Hopefully I get some good miles out of it this winter.

Good training for you. The Winder Likes a lot of attention every year. LOL

At least you caught this before the season starts,once the bent shaft is replaced,one of the vendors listed,Dave385 has a updated top gear bushing available.Email is davidmoegle@gmail.com. .He also has updated brass shifting pads

At least you caught this before the season starts,once the bent shaft is replaced,one of the vendors listed,Dave385 has a updated top gear bushing available.Email is davidmoegle@gmail.com. .He also has updated brass shifting pads

Already reached out to him, going to call a local dealer for the shaft, cheapest I could find it online including tax & shipping was ~$30 which seems steep to me for a piece of steel.

Good training for you. The Winder Likes a lot of attention every year. LOL

I knew that getting into it but I also already had to redo the tubes in the tunnel (added BOP covers while I was there), clutching was all completely wrong, and now I am finding the chain case needs love, it is almost a game of what other important thing is messed up next.

Regular maintenance I don't mind its all the broken stuff that has annoyed me on this sled and it was all hidden/not apparent when I bought it.

This chaincase requires three things. RTV around the site glass. Weld the tensioner screw. Change or at least check the upper gear bushing every 3k miles if you have the McMaster leaded bronze bushing. I also ordered daves upper gear, and will put it in when I again take the case apart. But, I got 4500 miles out of my McMaster bushing and it was only slightly worn when I did my preseason maintenance. The stock bushing is crap, change it out. Run 16oz of gear lube. Run tensioner 1.5 turns out from finger tight. If you do these preventative things you will have a solid case. I would soak all your gears and chain in kerosene to clean them. Who knows where there case shavings are hiding. They won't be on the magnet.

This chaincase requires three things. RTV around the site glass. Weld the tensioner screw. Change or at least check the upper gear bushing every 3k miles if you have the McMaster leaded bronze bushing. I also ordered daves upper gear, and will put it in when I again take the case apart. But, I got 4500 miles out of my McMaster bushing and it was only slightly worn when I did my preseason maintenance. The stock bushing is crap, change it out. Run 16oz of gear lube. Run tensioner 1.5 turns out from finger tight. If you do these preventative things you will have a solid case. I would soak all your gears and chain in kerosene to clean them. Who knows where there case shavings are hiding. They won't be on the magnet.

I will do the RTV around the sight glass, already had a buddy tack the tensioner screw and will be getting dave's top gear with the super bushing. Hopefully that is all that is needed... The chain and gears will be all soaked, the chain case oil had visible bushing shavings in the oil.

Last edited:
It’s great you are inspecting, updating,and repairing your Winder once you are done you will have an awesome and reliable sled. Our Winders are not Japan built pure Yamahas like Apex’s and will always require more attention and TLC...but no stock Apex can perform like they do! I guess there is no free ride.

Don’t forget to inspect your driveshaft and bearing...probably will need attention

Once again building my confidence in the guy who had this sled before me... The list just keeps growing, I have never had to put so much work into a machine that I have only ridden for 10 miles. Hopefully I get some good miles out of it this winter.
Ah crap!!! Fix er all up correctly and get all the known issues resolved before the snow flys and you will have a trouble-free season.

So many dishonest people out there when buying private!!

I will do the RTV around the sight glass, already had a buddy tack the tensioner screw and will be getting dave's top gear with the super bushing. Hopefully that is all that is needed... The chain and gears will be all soaked, the chain case oil had visible bushing shavings in the oil.
When you decide to look in to the known drive shaft issue, Franks Motorcycles out of Essex Juntion Vt has a repair program in place to take your worn shaft and install a anti rotation pin in shaft,and slot the inner race of a upgraded new bearing for less than the cost of a new shaft.The other option is to install the Barn of Parts shaft saver since you have low miles and do the refurbishment at a later date.Their number is 802-878-3930 Service Manger is Kamran Pelkey

Back