• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ZR800 vs. RX-WARRIOR ........RESULTS!!

There is enough adjustability in the Warrior to make it do what you want. It sounds as if you've done just a little to make it 'just right'.

A ZR with blown shocks does ride soft! Last year my buddy's went out, and we noticed while doing some road jumping. He complained about bottoming out...I hopped on it (he outweighed me by nearly 100lbs then) and I bottomed it out too! He jumping my lil5, and it didn't bottom....

While he seemed to ride 'nice', he was also bottoming out, and ruining his rear shock because of it. After redoing his skid shocks, he likes his sled again! Anyway...

On the Warrior, you've got to become a student of the Proaction CK, figure out what makes it tic, and tune the snot out of it. Mine sucked when I first got it too, I think most folks on TY got here because of problems with 2 things: Ride and clutching.

Get it together, you'll have the better sled when you're done. Good luck!

I agree with the ZR handling. I used to own one and compared to the RX1 the ZR did out handle the RX1. I'm still trying to dial my RX1 in but I never had to do this much tinkering with the ZR to make it handle great.
Don't get me wrong guys, I love my Yamaha and after owning the RX1, you can't compare the quality to the Cat as well as no more 2 cycle smoke and better mileage. After doing all the suspension updates except aftermarket skis this thing still handles not so good. Still way too much push through the corners and still too much ski lift. Might upgrade to Ohlins next year and skis plus the M10 suspension. will not do performance until handling is resolved.

Totally Blue said:
I agree with the ZR handling. I used to own one and compared to the RX1 the ZR did out handle the RX1. I'm still trying to dial my RX1 in but I never had to do this much tinkering with the ZR to make it handle great.
Don't get me wrong guys, I love my Yamaha and after owning the RX1, you can't compare the quality to the Cat as well as no more 2 cycle smoke and better mileage. After doing all the suspension updates except aftermarket skis this thing still handles not so good. Still way too much push through the corners and still too much ski lift. Might upgrade to Ohlins next year and skis plus the M10 suspension. will not do performance until handling is resolved.

I agree with the quality part..... I think the ride is very comparable to a m-10 or edge ....Its the handling that i cant figure out...

If you ride in the U.P. where the cornering more of a long bend.. my sled rocks thew the corners but back home here in Kieler wisconson where the sled is asked to go threw hair pin corners up and down hill at the same time. i am forced to work my BUTT off trying to keep up with guys that are not trying to out run me!!

Precision skis would also be a great plus for that sled welter. Last year before the M10 I had the ride damn good and it went around corners great.

This year with the M10 it is even better, as the M10 keeps the track on the ground more for even better control. get the suspension tuning manual from Yamaha read it twice or three times then tune it to suit you. It can be done :!:

I agree that the Cats handle much better than ours. I had to move 3 cats today, at the Buckhorn, that were parked in front of my wife's Manta. I could never do it if they were RX1's. I couldn't believe how light they were.

I just sucked up the limiters about a 1 inch more.... Going to try that tommaro.. I also lowered the transfer rods one more notch..

Thanks to all that are trying to help!

Welt first take 4 turns off your front shocks.Second if you don't have adjustable transfer rods get some.I bought just the nuts.I run mine for trail riding at 4 or 5 lines showing makes a very big difference.I have a Viper also and you will never get it to handle quite as good but it will handle much better then stock.The biggest difference I have noticed between the 2 is the 121" will let the back end slide out a little in a sharp turns where the extra length of the 136" won't let it slide hence making it turn harder.This has helped keep the front end down and make it more predictable.Not much ski pressure when on the gas but plenty when you lift.If your just a trail rider then the 05 Rx-1 would work better but if you get off the trail once in a while the Warrior is a better choice.Hope this helps.

Silver said:
Welt first take 4 turns off your front shocks.Second if you don't have adjustable transfer rods get some.I bought just the nuts.I run mine for trail riding at 4 or 5 lines showing makes a very big difference.I have a Viper also and you will never get it to handle quite as good but it will handle much better then stock.The biggest difference I have noticed between the 2 is the 121" will let the back end slide out a little in a sharp turns where the extra length of the 136" won't let it slide hence making it turn harder.This has helped keep the front end down and make it more predictable.Not much ski pressure when on the gas but plenty when you lift.If your just a trail rider then the 05 Rx-1 would work better but if you get off the trail once in a while the Warrior is a better choice.Hope this helps.

Well i went out in the garage and tightened up the limiters !! only about 1 inch of thread left. and lowered the front springs two more turns for a total of 4 like silver suggested!! THis make the sled feel way more stable and i really didnt feel that the stearing is any more heavy!! It still has some push but is getting better..I might tighten the limiters all the way and try some NEW skis...

I don't think my Warrior handles badly at all. It used to be like you say, push and ski lift, I wasn't at all impressed.

I had some repairs done to the A Arms, and the dealer set up the rear skid to what he reckoned they had found the optimum to be. Also installed a set of front Ohlins.

Ski lift is almost gone, push is almost unoticeable except in the really tight corners.

Also put on the Powder Pros with 8" carbides, going to try them out tomorrow. Pootling around the yard they already seem to be an improvement over stock.

tshelver said:
I don't think my Warrior handles badly at all. It used to be like you say, push and ski lift, I wasn't at all impressed.

I had some repairs done to the A Arms, and the dealer set up the rear skid to what he reckoned they had found the optimum to be. Also installed a set of front Ohlins.

Ski lift is almost gone, push is almost unoticeable except in the really tight corners.

Also put on the Powder Pros with 8" carbides, going to try them out tomorrow. Pootling around the yard they already seem to be an improvement over stock.

WHere i live...EVERY CORNER IS A VERY TIGHT CORNER EAITHER GOING UP HILL OR DOWN HILL!!

In the U.P. my sled handles on rails at high speed but you have too almost stop where i live to make a corner.. But the shorties dont..

Welt I ride with a 01 Zr 800 the thing handles awesome, we also did some racing and our results were close he pulled me the first time and I stayed right with him up to 95-100 then we shut them down the next time I pulled him and stayed in front it was all holeshot, i'm bone stock and he is clutched, v-froce 3 reeds and 144 studs he also out corners me bad zr's are awesome handling sleds.

The Warrior handles fine , I have stock ski's and I can still rip through the corners. I ride with ZR's SXR's and srx's , no problem, I can ride the same trail with little effort. My only variation from stock : pulled in limiters about 1 inch . It will hardly lift the ski's, but hook up is still fine.

Without this change , I would not be happy cause of ski lift and poor handling. The only condition that I've encountered that is discomforting would be 6" of new snow over hard pack . What happens ? the track still bits and the ski's have no clue . My advice : slow down ! Thankfully that condition has been rare for me . I love the way the sled handles, small adjustments pay big dividends.

joe howard said:
The Warrior handles fine , I have stock ski's and I can still rip through the corners. I ride with ZR's SXR's and srx's , no problem, I can ride the same trail with little effort. My only variation from stock : pulled in limiters about 1 inch . It will hardly lift the ski's, but hook up is still fine.

Without this change , I would not be happy cause of ski lift and poor handling. The only condition that I've encountered that is discomforting would be 6" of new snow over hard pack . What happens ? the track still bits and the ski's have no clue . My advice : slow down ! Thankfully that condition has been rare for me . I love the way the sled handles, small adjustments pay big dividends.

Slowing down is not an option.. Eveyone wants to go FAST.. including me!

Hey Welt,

I trust you've scrapped those stock wearbars? On my shorty, I had my straps pulled in close to 1" and I couldn't hook up enough to beat a Viper, but it cornered awesome. A trade-off I suppose :roll: Logically, I would expect a 136" track to be at a slight dis-advantage in the corners anyway.

Back